LED test / review - Luminus SFT-12 F4 BC (≈ 6500 K, typ. 70 CRI)

Thanks for the testing, shame that there’s no datasheet yet.

Hopefully it’ll become available in 5000k and in a more neutral DUV

The emitter was purchased from Kaidomain in January 2024 and was provided by BLF user @1stein. Many thanks for that!

It need be noted :

Great members going above and beyond.

3 Thanks

See also my list of tests.

1 Thank

Thanks. It’s not in your list of tests.

I know. I have to update the list since I posted some new tests recently :smiley:

2 Thanks

An example of SFT-12 application.

BTW: @koef3 can you let us know how did the end of Amperage capacity looked like? Did it just shut off? Burnt?

What do you mean with ‘amperage capacity’? The SFT-12 not burned out, several seconds on highest current possible are no problem. There was no damage to the LES or LED itself. However, I cannot recommend this operating conditions for longer service life, but this applies to all LEDs anyway.

Thanks, I just meant this. I was wondering how did you know it’s the max of this led :smiley:

Because the light flux does not increase any more at around 5 Amps :smiley: this is the maximum achievable light flux. If the LED is damaged or broken while testing, there would be a sudden end visible in the graph.

1 Thank

Which one do you prefer for the long throw, Luminus SFT-12, and CREE XPP??
Seems that the SFT-12 has a similar spec to the XPP.

Thanks for joining the party, hdtw!

1 Thank

I would use the XP-P over the SFT-12 for now. It has better tint, better selection of CCT and CRI.

Have you also considered the Osram W1 (CSLNM1.TG) and W2 (CSLPM1.TG) ?

Yup, the Osram W1 and W2 are also good options, they are also on my list.

But the most interesting thing is, that there is still a lack of information on SFT-12.

Prototype and prerelease Luminus emitters tend to become available on some places before the datasheets show up.

For example: SFT40 3000k and SFT70 3000k, and the SST-20 WxH when it first released.

Another theory (most likely since no electronics company will ever use componentes without any datasheet): Datasheet already exists, but is under NDA and only available for chinese companies.

2 Thanks

Well, “showing up” means public datasheets. But yes, I agree that is probably the likely explanation.

1 Thank

Also, not to forget: these LEDs we are talking about (SFT-12, SFT-40 3000 K and so on) seems to be intended only for chinese domestic market, not for western companies. This in combination with political decisions not to deliver those products to the western market could be the reason why most of these companies are very quiet about these LEDS and not give any information about these (or went completely silent, like in my case already happened).

Speaking of, it looks like you jinxed it. Datasheet for SFT-40 WxH is here. Seems like the NDA might have finally expired.

Also a few “new” emitters like a second gen of SST-12 and SST-20, though the changes are unclear.

I was also wondering what the differences are with the 2nd gen emitters. From what I see on the new/old datasheets the new ones have up to 7% more output per drive current depending on the CCT. It’s nice but probably a minor change like the 519A and 519A V1, nothing revolutionary. It’s also unclear whether the increased efficacy comes at the cost of even greener tint.

1 Thank

The datasheet does not clearly state this, but the 2nd gen variant has a 7500 K color binning. I could imagine this is where the output increase could mainly coming from.
The color groups does not seem to be different from those of 1st gen SST-20.