LED test / review - Luminus SFT-40 3000/6500 K - warm white thrower LED with good tint and perfect light

LED Test / review EN

Luminus Specialty White SFT-40

2023-10-24

The Luminus SFT-40 has been on the market for some time now. Available only in cool white light color at launch, a warm white variant with high color rendering was also available for a short time, which indeed makes this emitter special, as it combines high luminance with good light quality and warm light color at the same time.

The cool white SFT-40 was purchased from Mouser in November 2022, while the warm white SFT-40 was purchased from Kaidomain (as far as is known, it was also only available there).

Technical data

Tj 85 °C, If 1,500 mA
  • Type: single die
  • Bin: N4 (min. 594, max. 634 lm)/L5
  • Color group: 652/HB4 (6500/3000 K)
  • CRI: typ. 65/95
  • Rated voltage: typ 2.8 V V
  • Max. Forward current: 8,000 mA
  • Max. Peak current: 10,000 mA
  • Viewing angle: 120 °
  • Thermal resistance: 0.7 K/W
  • Max. Temperature Tj: max. 150°C

Datasheet can be downloaded here: [Datasheet (newest version, Luminus)] (<URL fĂźr Datenblatt>)

First appearance

The SFT-40 is an LED without silicone domes, similar to the Cree XP-L HI or Nichia 719A. The LED chip surrounded by white silicone sits on a gray ceramic substrate and is connected with a total of four bonding wires, making this emitter a classic lateral design.

A gold-colored metal frame serves as a perimeter for the white potting compound. This makes this LED very robust, making it easy to handle without having to take special protective precautions. However, care must still be taken to keep the emitter free of dust and particles!

On the left side of the following pictures the warm white version is shown, on the right side the cool white one.

The emitter is 5.00 x 5.00 mm. All accessories for XM LEDs (5050) can thus be used, and thanks to the symmetrical package, centering aids made by lathe can also be used.

The footprint is fully compatible with XM and 5050 boards, but the individual contact areas protrude visibly from the gray substrate, which also applies to the thermal pad. This makes for a supposedly “bad” soldering with “gaps”, although the LED is firmly seated on the LED board (see also the lateral image of the LED).

LES

The luminous surface consists of a single LED chip. Thanks to the classic design, no or very little light is emitted laterally, which should significantly improve the optical properties. The missing corners should also further improve the light pattern in reflectors, as the LED chip thus more closely resembles a round surface.

The luminous area is 4.02 mm² in size. There are no differences between the two versions. The LED chip has connections in all four corners, which should improve the voltage characteristics compared to LEDs with only two bonding wires. Lateral radiation has been reduced to a minimum here; this should not have a significant impact on luminance.

Power and overcurrent capabilities

Within official parameters, as far as known:

• at 8,000 mA (official maximum current): 2521/1384 lm @ 3.47/3.55 V
  • Power at official maximum: 27.8/28.4 W
  • Efficiency at 8,000 mA: 90.8/48.8 lm/W

Due to their design, LEDs without silicone domes have a 15-20% lower luminous flux (compared to the equivalent with silicone domes), while the luminance is increased at the same time.

The SFT-40 in 3000 K has a surprisingly low efficiency. Here it is clear that the achievable efficiency has been subordinated to the goal of achieving the most perfect light quality possible. The 3000 K version has an efficiency that is almost 80% lower. I did not expect such a clear difference here.

The Vf differs minimally in both variants, by 70-110 mV. This is not really much and could simply represent series dispersion, especially since Luminus specifies a relatively wide range for the forward voltage in the datasheet. The LED chip seems to be identical for both variants, the changed light quality of the warm white variant results exclusively from the changed phosphor mixture.

Overcurrent:

• Maximum reached at 14.2/13.8 A, at this point 3208/1717 lm lm @ 3.97/4.08 V
  • Power at maximum 56.4/56.3 W
  • Sweet spot at about 9 A (2703/1475 lm lm @ 3.55/3.64 V)
  • Power at sweet spot 32.0/32.7 W
  • Efficiency at maximum 56.9/30.5 lm/W
  • Efficiency in the sweet spot 84.6/45.1 lm/W

Despite the already very high maximum current specification, an overcurrent of the SFT-40 is possible with both variants. The warm white variant has a slightly lower maximum current, whereby 400 mA is little deviation and this can simply be due to the soldering on the board or a minimally deviating thermal resistance. According to my tests, the performance of the Kaidomain Cu DTP board is on an identical level as the Noctigon XP20 specimens.

However, the clear difference in luminous flux and thus efficiency is again striking. In the worst case (the cold white SFT-40 tested here is in a slightly worse luminous flux binning), a halving of the luminous flux must be expected when using the warm white SFT-40!

Due to the larger heat dissipation area compared to the smaller Footprint 3535 (XP), a higher maximum current and thus significantly higher electrical output is possible. The new generation dedicated XM-L2 shown here in comparison - which is equipped with a flip chip die - reaches a similar maximum current, which shows that in the range 13-16 A the heat dissipation area of the 5050 (XM) footprint is limited.

The XP-L HI has no chance despite high bin V3. It has a generally higher thermal resistance, the smaller footprint, and associated lower maximum luminous flux. The Vf is also significantly higher. Here, the further development of the past years is particularly evident.

The SFT-40 is therefore a worthy successor to the XP-L HI. However, the larger footprint can be a disadvantage depending on the individual case; in any case, another (suitable) LED board in the XM footprint is required in this case.

15 minutes of continuous operation at maximum possible operating current did not cause any damage to the LED or phosphor. This applies to both variants; the performance is also still identical after the extreme test.

Luminance

Values at 25 °C Tsp, at 85 °C Tsp values are 13 % lower

The enormous difference in performance of both CCT variants is also evident in the luminance. The basic optical radiation properties are identical between both variants, so that only the significantly lower luminous flux of the warm white variant comes into play here. As expected, the cool white variant has a significantly higher luminance than the XP-L HI and also exceeds the luminance of the CSLNM1.TG (however, this is only at absolute maximum current), so that it is thus very well suited for throwers, but at the same time also provides a higher luminous flux.

Light quality and use in optics

The light pattern is excellent (whitewall beamshot of an Aplos T02, which has an OP reflector). There are no artifacts in the light pattern, nor is there a strong tint shift. Depending on the quality and calculation of the reflector, rings could occur, but these can be avoided by using an OP reflector or a good TIR optic. This LED can be found in a lot of lamps lately and thus already shows that it can be used well in different secondary optics.

For the following outdoor beamshots of the warm white SFT-40, it was mounted on the 20 mm DTP board in an Aplos T02. The advantage of this lamp is the very easy to open head and the compatibility of the 20 mm board, where only minimal mechanical adjustments have to be made, which also makes it suitable for faster tests with LEDs on board.

The tower beamshot (about 90 meters away) shows the great advantage of such a warm white LED with high luminance at the same time. Intrinsic glare in hazy or foggy atmospheres is lower, and the light beam also penetrates better through rain. This is the reason why sometimes yellow headlights were installed in auxiliary headlights of cars.

In addition, a lamp equipped with such LED can be used as a mood light if necessary, for example, with diffuser as a replacement for candles.

The difference in CRI and especially saturation is particularly noticeable on the last beamshot, especially since both LEDs are extremely close to each other in CCT and duv. The brown of the foliage as well as the green comes out much better with the SFT-40.

Color and light quality

The cool white variant is more in the greenish range. With increasing operating current, the green component decreases and the light color becomes significantly whiter, without color component. The color rendering is low, as is usual for cool white LEDs.

The tint of the warm white variant, on the other hand, is absolutely first class. (Please keep in mind, that the basically existing series dispersion, whereby other emitters can turn out differently).

The duv here is virtually zero, the location is perfectly on the blackbody emitter curve (BBL). The color rendering value is extremely high, especially the R9 with almost 100 stands out. The color saturation Rg is very pronounced, but might seem too intense to some - values above 100 indicate oversaturation. This is particularly noticeable in the outdoor beam shot - green and brown really stand out, while the saturation of the comparison LED (XM-L2 3000 K) is much weaker in almost identical color locations.

• Ra: 70/98
  • R9: -36/99
  • CCT: 6755/3200 K
  • duv: 0.0059/0.0003

Conclusion

The SFT-40 is basically a very well suited LED for throwy lights. The light pattern is very homogeneous, and when using the cool white variant, a long range with simultaneous high luminous flux is possible. By using the 5050 footprint, a lower thermal resistance and a higher overcurrent capability is possible.

The warm white variant completely subordinates its efficiency to the quality of emitted light. The CRI and especially R9 are extremely high, the light color very nice, because it is exactly on BBL. Due to the lack of LEDs with high luminance and warm white light color at the same time, this variant offers a unique selling point. Unfortunately, the development and background of this variant is completely unclear, as it was only available from a Chinese dealer for a short time and this also does not appear in any official data sheets from Luminus itself.

Pro

• Compatibility with XM footprint
  • very good light pattern in reflectors and lenses
  • extremely high light quality with high CRI/R9 (warm white variant only)
  • high luminance with high luminous flux (cool white variant only)

Contra

• for warm white variant unclear history and no official data sheet available
  • partly extreme greenish tint (only cold white variant)
  • strong fluctuations of the color/tint (rough color grouping)

Thank you for reading the test. :slight_smile:

Greetings, Dominik

v1.0.1
17 Thanks

Thanks for the test.:sunglasses:

I have a CW(6000K/6500K) SFT40 in my Wurkkos TS11. I like it because it’s a very clean and even Beam with the TIR lens. But I wanted to check it with my magnifying glass, and I couldn’t because of that lens.

I’m not one who’s going to take it apart just to see the LED.:crazy_face:

I’m sure it’s simple like just taking off the bezel but I don’t want to mess it up I’ve had bad luck lately.

Thanks for the info!

To bad the performance of the 3000k suffers but at least the CRI and tint are fantastic. I really want to try them but they don’t seem to stay in stock for very long.

I’m curious how the 5000k compares. I just got one in a KR1. It’s low CRI but the tint is great. I have no way to measure but my green-hating eyes are quite happy with it.

1 Thank

How much does this leave on the table compare to a dedomed 519a? It is a lovely emitter and hopefully will get larger runs in the future but the tests here are kind of underwhelming.

1 Thank

Not sure how lumens compare between Koef3 and djozz(maukka adjusted i.e. ×0.93), but this 3000K SFT-40 does 1000lm at 4.8A, 519A 4500K 1145lm, dedoming cost ~15% and brings it down to 3400~3600K, lets say -20% to 3000K (a 4000K DD) : 916lm. So pretty close with this comparison. But of course the SFT-40 can be driven higher.

edit : Comparing 719A tests, Koef3 lumens are quite a bit lower than djozz’s, about 0.833 lower (0.896 with maukkka adjusted lumens). So the difference between SFT-40 and 519A DD would be higher.

1 Thank

Keep in mind that djozz tested a 719A in 5000 K CCT, which is a higher flux bin - I tested the 4000 K variant. Not much difference, maybe some percent, but noticable nonetheless. Also it could be the case that djozz 5000 K sample has a higher efficiency that other emitters from same rank.

I also adjusted the light flux readings according to maukkas calibration light I got some months ago, so I get around 5 % higher light flux for older test results. In general, my measurements were more on the conservative side.

3 Thanks

I thought I checked that but I must have mixed my tabs, my bad.

2 Thanks

The output is pathetically low, like Wow. There is also a 5000K SFT-40, which might strike a better balance between tint and output, but it is still 70 CRI though.

1 Thank

I will get a 5000 K SFT-40 in the next weeks, so eventually I can say more about it.
Since the CRI is really low, this CCT should be much better in terms of efficiency. The flux bin is the same as for the 6500 K variant, at least according to KD.

4 Thanks

I just got a couple of the 5000k from KD today. Hopefully I can try them out soon. I don’t have any measuring equipment other than my green-hating eyes.

3 Thanks

Wow I didn’t expect the spectro parameters to be that high. R9 of 99 is even above all the Nichia emitters! 98CRI wow! Thanks for the review!

To be fair R9 doesn’t say much about the capacity to render red above 80-90: a source that oversaturates red (e.g., dedomed 519A) scores lower than a source that renders red “correctly”, but the former is often considered preferable.

Not a great picture, but here’s a comparison of a couple SFT40 5000K and a 6500K. White balance is locked at 5000K. Ignore the brightness differences - I just tried to make them similar for the comparison. They’re all about mid-ramp.

KR1 5000K, FW1A 5000K (from Kaidomain), TS11 6500K. In real life, both the 5000K look much better than the 6500K. The 5000K in the KR1 has a slightly better tint than the FW1A from KD, which has a more noticeable yellow-green tint around the hotspot. I don’t know what bin Hank uses but it’s possible they’re the same and it’s just tint variation (tint lottery).

Assuming the output of the 5000K is somewhat similar to the 6500K, I’d rather not see the 6500K ever again and I’m considering swapping them out of the few lights I have that use them.

Imgur

3 Thanks

I think it’s also a matter of personal preferences.
In throwers i prefer 6500K and even greenish or blueish tint is somehow acceptable. Zircon minus green filter from Boaz can do magic too.
Even in case of insanely green SFT-70.

So I’m voting for keeping the variety. Some love warm light, some prefer cold, some neutral. Let’s allow everyone to choose what he prefers.

:slight_smile: quote=“James C, post:13, topic:220791, username:James_C”]
Assuming the output of the 5000K is somewhat similar to the 6500K, I’d rather not see the 6500K ever again and I’m considering swapping them out of the few lights I have that use them.
[/quote]

I just did that…:slight_smile:

2 Thanks