LED test / review - Fireflylite FFL505A (≈ 3500 K, 95 CRI) - rosy tint with high luminance

LED Test / review EN

Fireflylite FFL505A (≈ 3500 K, 95 CRI)

2024-02-26

Some time ago, a special LED appeared on the Fireflylite website. This LED, presumably manufactured for Fireflylite at customer’s request, is very similar to the well-known ‘Yinding 5050 egg-yolk’ and should therefore offer a high luminance with very decent light quality. It is therefore referred to here as the Fireflylite FFL505A.

A special feature here is the actively advertised reddish tint (“rosy-tint”) and the very high color rendering of 95 CRI.

This LED was made available to me for this test by BLF user @MarcE. Many thanks for that!

Technical data

Tj --- °C, If --- mA
  • Type: single die, lateral
  • Bin: —
  • Color group: 3500 K (‘rosy’)
  • CRI: 95
  • Rated voltage: — V
  • Max. Forward current: — mA
  • Max. Peak current: — mA
  • Viewing angle: — °
  • Thermal resistance: — K/W
  • Max. Temperature Tj: max. —°C

Important note: An official data sheet and further information are not available for this emitter. Official data can therefore not be provided during the test.

Design, LES, Performance and Luminance

The FFL505A is extremely similar to the well-known ‘Yinding 5050 egg-yolk’. This LED is presumably manufactured by the same manufacturer as the ‘Yinding 5050 egg-yolk’ on behalf of Fireflylite, hence the name “FFL505A”.

The white SIlikon surrounds the orange-colored round illuminated area. This is more reminiscent of a PC Amber LED than a warm white LED with 3500 K CCT. It does not protrude from the silicone, but is embedded in it. The four bonding wires are also cast into the silicone and are only visible under good lighting conditions. The substrate is dark gray; there are no other conspicuous features. All in all, it is an extremely simple designed LED, which could be an advantage depending on the application.

There are no other inscriptions or markings on the top. The white silicone is relatively brittle, which is why the LED must be handled with care.

The FFL505A measures 4.98 x 4.98 mm.

The footprint offers no surprises. Thanks to the XM or 5050 footprint, it is compatible with accessories for this format and can therefore be retrofitted in many lamps. Thanks to the symmetrical housing, centering rings manufactured on a lathe can also be used.

The notch in the contact indicates the cathode.

The luminous area is 2.35 mm² in size.

Due to the very rosy tint, the illuminated surface is downright pink in color at very low current. Clear dots and speckles can be seen on the luminous surface, which can be observed with many HighCRI LEDs. Discoloration or artefacts are otherwise not visible on the luminous surface, which should improve the quality of light in secondary optics.

Within official parameters, as far as known:

• Maximum reached at 8.8 A, at this point 984 lm @ 3.62 V
  • Power at maximum 31.8 W
  • Efficiency at maximum 30.9 lm/W

Due to a lack of official performance information and data sheets, no official maximum values were specified. However, some observations can be made.

The FFL505A is probably the most inefficient modern LED in the 5050 footprint that has ever been tested. At just 30.9 lm/W at maximum possible current, it is even less efficient than an over-current halogen lamp (36 lm/W)! An LED has obviously been designed here that completely subordinates its efficiency to the goal of a rosy tint, and this is even more extreme than with the SFT-40 3000 K (test here). The SFT-40 benefits above all from the larger illuminated area and better heat dissipation, which fully utilizes the thermal pad of the 5050 footprint.

More than 800 to 850 lm is hardly feasible in a flashlight. Even at over 6 A, the heat development increases so much and the luminous flux gain is so low that further overcurrent is simply not worthwhile.

It should be noted that the luminous surface of the FFL505A is very small for a 5050 emitter. Although LEDs with very small luminous surfaces offer a higher luminance, they have a lower luminous flux and are generally less efficient. This is where the factors of small luminous surface and extremely rosy tint and warm light color come together.

The Vf is pleasingly low and is in the range of the Nichia 519A and SFT-40 3000 K. Direct-drive (operation of the LED without a driver directly on a battery) is not recommended due to the sometimes very high voltage level and can lead to the destruction of the LED or to a significant reduction in service life.

Data for 25 °C Tsp (at 85 °C the luminance values are around 13 % lower).

As expected, the luminance is quite high for its low luminous flux, at 2.8 A it is significantly higher than that of the warm white SFT-40. Nevertheless, all other LEDs with a similar round chip have a significantly higher luminance. The low luminous flux also plays the main role here.

Light quality/beam, tint and spectral data

The beam is perfect. There are no artifacts due to the round illuminated surface and the lack of lateral radiation. Rings can occur depending on the reflector used and the quality of the surface and production. These no longer occur in OP reflectors anyway. There are no color distortions. Any discoloration in the photo is not visible in real life and is caused by the camera.

The LED tested here is extremely rosy (350 mA operating current). The tint is very strongly reddish. Even Nichia LEDs generally have a less intense red tint.

The red component is extremely high. Even at 670 nm, the radiant power is still over 60 %. The high proportion in the range above 700 nm, which is very rare for LEDs, is also striking. In addition to the extremely thick phosphor layer, this is presumably the reason for the extreme inefficiency - a large proportion of the light is emitted as deep red (also sometimes called far red), well below 660 nm - a wavelength that is often used in Photo Red or Deep Red LEDs.

Due to the extreme red tint, the light appears significantly warmer than it actually is. At 3845 K, it is almost in the neutral white range, but still appears warm. Red and brown tones are massively emphasized, making it difficult to distinguish between grey and green tones. This light is not realistic in the sense of naturally occurring light.

The specified CRI of 95 is not achieved. The Rf of 106 indicates a clear oversaturation of the colors. Depending on your preference, this extreme red tint may be too much of a good thing. Before using this LED, you must be aware that the light does not necessarily correspond to what Nichia is known for.

With increasing current, the tint shifts more to the colder side and the duv is also increasing. This looks much more appealing to the human eye.
Although the light appears colder and more pleasant at first glance, this significant tintshift should be viewed critically, as it could possibly result in a significant reduction in service life at such high currents. This is particularly problematic as there is no official data sheet and therefore no official maximum current as a guideline.

• Ra: 92
  • R9: 75
  • CCT: 3845 K
  • duv: -0.0135

Conclusion

The FFL505A is a custom LED that could have come straight out of a groupbuy by flashlight enthusiasts. Extremely rosy tint, low Vf, high luminance and perfect beam quality. In principle, it does a lot of things right.

However, the efficiency is extremely low and even undercuts over-current halogen lamps at maximum luminous flux. Even at over 8 A, more than 1000 lm cannot be achieved. In addition, not everyone will like such an extremely reddish tint.

An improved FFL505A with the same round-die, but a less strong red tint (duv max. -0.007) and a more balanced spectrum, which has a higher efficiency, could be close to the ideal case of a warm white LED and could be a very popular LED for many enthusiasts. However, this requires the availability of a simple source of supply and an official data sheet.

Pro

• very good beam
  • standard XP-/5050 footprint, good compatibility with accessoires
  • low Vf
  • relatively high luminance for warmwhite High CRI LED

Neutral

• very reddish tint (‘rosy’)

Contra

• very low light flux
  • very low efficiency
  • no reliable information on the LED publicly available (as of Feb. 2024)
  • only available in China or from Chinese sellers

Thank you for reading the test. :slight_smile:

Greetings, Dominik

v1.0.1
12 Thanks

Thank you! Any thoughts on the tint shift at higher currents? I find it to be very pronounced- CCT gets cooler and duv increases. I’d only call this rosy at low currents of maybe a couple amps.

I got some of these and still haven’t tried the SFT40 3000K, but I will definitely be ordering some of those now.

Another unicorn for the collection, who would though that negative CRI green thing would turn in a 95 CRI 3500K rosy LED. If this thing ever came in the 4000-5700K range with -0.007 max and high CRI it will be extremely popular.

2 Thanks

The FFL505A gets definitely cooler at higher currents, but it stays very rosy all the time. At higher currents it is better - but if we are honest - most of the time we are powering our LED at lower currents - and this is where light quality should be the best.
For me, the FFL505A is simply too rosy. -0.005 or so would be perfect for me, that’s why I love my 519A.

Absolutely. The ‘Yinding 6500 K 95 CRI’ one showed what good light quality and perfect beam means. This for neutral white and slightly negative duv and this LED will be very popular. (If also marketed properly at flashlight enthusiasts.)

I have no measuring equipment but what I see with my samples are like what is reported here with duv increasing:

But like you said, at lower currents it is definitely rosy (which I appreciate). Pity the output is even lower than the sft40 3000k. Your testing is a huge help for this.

What I’m wondering: does such a strong tintshift indicate a significantly reduced service life? I’m thinking of the effect that the tint shifts to a strong bluish color in the case of extreme overcurrent, and that seems to be the case here…

1 Thank

Thank you so much for this test! This is extremely disappointing but not terribly surprising. This LED does look nice at 75% power and above but according to the chart that’s where is starts to get up happy so I don’t think it’s probably worth swapping it into much. The SFT40 is already not terribly efficient, the 3k even more so I don’t think it’s worth an even further hit.

I wonder if the FFL305a will have the same fate?

Excellent and extremely informative test as always!

I am not convinced that the inefficiency is excused by rosy tint. Comparing the spectrum of this emitter with the SFT40 3000K tested (among a few other Nichias), the amount of red past 650nm is comparable at every wavelength, so this LED has no real advantage over other R9080 LEDs when it comes to photo/far red. The vast majority of the rosy tint is accounted for by the bump in orange-red centered at around 630nm, which is marginally more than a dedomed 519A. And the excessively high blue spike.

Maybe. I always had the feeling that the phosphor layer is extremely thick which greatly reduces efficiency. This applies to most high CRI emitters, but in this case the LES looked more like PC Amber instead of 3500 K warm white.

But it is true, this emitter is extremely inefficient. This may also be due to a very narrow color grouping, which the manufacturer can only achieve with very low performance binning due to rejects or other factors (series dispersion) or only guarantees to be able to supply the required quantities. However, without an official data sheet showing the performance binnings and color groups, this is pure speculation.

1 Thank

It’s a real shame waiven collars are no longer available, this sounds like an absolutely perfect fit. Bounce that blue spike back onto the thick phosphor, get more lumens and intensity :stuck_out_tongue:

The downside is higher DUV (not a problem with this LED), even lower temperature, and the intensity would peak sooner, but not much higher, as the phosphor seems to be already overloaded. There’s a low CRI high CCT specimen that would benefit a lot more, and it has all the negative DUV to spare.

Thank you for this review!
If you want here there is my mod with Yinding 3000k. Is not high CRI but the tint is gorgeous.
They are rated for 25W.
They are probably inefficient like your LED but if you want to try them, they are available in Ali now.
Cheers

From my observations of your FFL505L and SFT40 3000K tests, at about 6 amps, the SFT40 3000K will match the throw of the FFL505A by compensating with the added lumens/efficiency. Below 6amps, the FFL505A will throw further. Above 6 amps, the SFT40 will throw further.

The FFL505A seems like a great high CRI LED optimised for throw as long as your host keeps current under 6 amps.

Thanks for taking the time to do these tests and share your results.

2 Thanks