LiIon VENTING Tests 2017! Round #2 / UPDATES July,17,2017

Ok. - Last year i did some venting tests with LiIon cells, (outside a light and in a flashlight) now this year i ramped it up a notch. i have begun some more testing, with a larger number of cells, charged, dis-charged, and more sizes including a 26650, 14500s, more 18650s etc. Also will test venting in 4 lights, two 18650 lights, and two 14500 sized lights. both rear clickies & side switches. Also already done some impact testing, (by shooting at an 18650 with a high powered BB gun) Below is the line-up of the cells that will be sacrificed to the vent gods.

a large number of videos will be done using three cameras from different angles.

EDIT: - Already done some of the tests, with some very spectacular results! ( videos soon)

UPDATE: July,17,2017.

>> Added an intro video of the cells i used for this round of forced venting:

TEST 1:

• Impact tests.
    I tried to induce a internal short & vent by “shooting” at a couple 18650s in this test. One was with a Co2 powered BB gun, and the other was with a 22 LR rifle. To my surprise neither of the cells really went into a full gas vent! The one that was struck with a 22 round, it did nothing. no smoke, just a little bubbling liquid. The second one hit by many BBs from just feet away also did not really do anything spectacular. it also oozed a little liquid from the dents that were cracked open. These 2 cells had a medium charge in them. From what i can determine here is most good quality build LiIon cells can really take some damage before they would go nuclear. Both cells did show some heating up near the impact spots, (the wrappers melted & distorted a little) but no real gas venting or flames.

Would be superb if you could measure cell temperature.

“Pantsonfire” :smiley: :+1:

looking forward to it!

can you charge 1 cell to the max, deplete another and connect them in series?

Looks like it is gonna be a great test!
I wonder what the 1,21 Gigawatts will do :wink:

interesting idea, maybe i will try that. connect a dead cell in series to a full charged cell, then dead short them to see what happens.

:+1:

Looking forward to the video’s !
I take it you don’t like 18500 batteries?

Like the rest, looking forward to the videos. :beer:

Very excited indeed. Of course you know, but nevertheless please be very careful. :+1:

Definitely following this one, cant wait for the vids too.

You can youtube search for battery flame/fire test to get more ideas. I have seen people do this with cell phone and RC car/plane batteries, although not nearly as extensive as yours is going to be. They might also give you some more ideas in regard to safety.

Thanks!!

I wouldn’t mind donating some half used Duracell CR123 primary cells, and I also have some fully functional laptop pull LG 18650s I could donate. Shoot me a PM if you’d be interested.

Meanwhile in Argentina….
Some experienced field researchers in a 2012 video demonstrating proper use of safety equipment and emergency response when testing DualSky 2200mah batteries with iMac6 B6 chargers.

LOL, that guy is a lucky man, soooo close. What was he doing after the explosion? Trying to blow the fire out?

No no not a dead cell
I think I want to use the BLF fund I have to get you four good high drain cells
Deplete one, charge the rest and let them charge the depleted one. It is like the worse case scenario for cells in series and with the GT very valuable.
Gonna on you now

yeah, please be very, very very carefull, i got 1 cell venting in my hands for no reason, i was just playing with 2 of them while looking for a suitable replacement (i had to replace them as they were the battery for an Husqvarna /Gardena edge trimmer were i work)

I was just keeping them in my hand, i don't know what happen, i even don't know if the batteries were tabbed, because if they were they could be shorted togheter, but really in that time i remebered i just couldn't explain why that happened).

However suddenly i felt the temperature rising quikly the top of one battery became incendescent, i dropped immediately and covered with an empty trash bin made of steel.

Nothing happened, and the other one just remained cold....So please we all know you are skilled and all, but really just keep eyes wide open and be very careful, cos $hit happens and looks no one in the face (if you get my methaphor :| )

Venting cells is usual not a big events, it happens sometimes during my test. The excitement occurs if the venting gas is ignited.

TNT Models, huh? :smiley:

Goo point. I don’t have any high-drain cells to sacrifice for the tests this time, only laptop pulls & bad Ultrafire cells.

I live in Canada though, and its not really worth the cost of shipping.

Updates with first intro video in the OP.