Longer throw without changing the driver !! :) Prototype is done and now it's time for testing.. ( more beam shots)

1. A fixed aspheric (or FTT version) can have a slightly off focus beam that is roundish or even round (which seems similar to what you are doing).

Personally, the die shape works fine in most regular thrower uses . . at its useful distance it fills an open garage or carport or boathouse just fine. I see a lot of people complaining about it, but it seems to be a preference for past norms rather than utility.

2. My focused FTT is brighter than my focused 501b aspheric up close, so I suspect it will throw further. Both are XML T6s at moderate current. It’s die image is tighter from the same distance to a wall so I suspect the different lens is more efficient.

Efficiency is a useful goal - one can get there by both experimenting and by learning and using all that science stuff and even through changing opinions through knowledge learned from argument.

That is correct. Note your astro-physicist said “if a certain amount of water flows into the hose from the spigot”. By placing your finger over the end of the hose you introduced a restriction to the flow. Unless you increase the pressure the water no longer enters the hose at the same rate. ie. that certain amount of flow into the hose has changed. The flow has decreased and will take longer to fill your bucket. Just like he says, I suggest you look in any physics book. This reminds me of a favorite quote. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

If my water hose is smaller than my main and my pressure regulator is set lower than the community pressure, then wouldn’t the flow rate remain the same until the back-pressure exceeds the inlet? The higher community pressure would fill the home system and effectively provide the higher pressure to the hose inlet, assuming it is not exceeding the main/regulatory capacity (and restrictive back-pressure), correct?

Since the quote had a stated and potentially valid assumption, perhaps people could contemplate how to improve the experiment and/or confirm its bounds?

Happy New Year everyone!

Let’s put this bad part of this thread behind us. It’s a new year. So let’s try to be nice to others. If we do that throughout the whole year, think of how much better this place will be.

Daylighter ,
Thank you very much for all your effort!!!
I really appreciate your great attitude! While people saying bad things and trying to correct you on your ‘wrong’ scientifically naming, you stayed with your head cool,
You showed that your 502b with the lens had a higher lux reading at a certain point, and by some comments people showed that your original idea works…
No, not with all lights etc, but it’s just fun to do, and I enjoyed seeing it!

Pity that people start calling it names, because its not cool enough or not great enough to increase lux/ throw with the more expensive ‘throwers’!

You proved with the pictures what your point was with the 502b, with and without that lens!
Game over :wink:

you’re right… i’m sorry if i did it with my telescope instead my mod… i guess you didn’t read the comment that i made regarding this mod.
it is based on the telescope, i’m trying to build a bigger one so i can use it to test my other lights.
so… here’s the picture of the same light trustfire wf 502b that was used with the telescope, this time i’m using it in my mod… enjoy :slight_smile:
same shot… building is about 300’ away ( maybe more… i’ll double check with google earth later)
control shot… daytime

same trustfire WF502B inside the mod ( i use low mode for picture so it won’t wash out)

Trustfire WF 502B throw( notice the doughnut ring… at this distance the light started losing it’s hotspot) but it still can reach!

That's the problem with a "student" having an extremely narrow field of knowledge. He was right, conversation of energy is at play. The restriction on the hose can allow the pressure to increase the rate of flow at other open spigots, or it can cause energy to change into heat buildup in the pumps trying to move the water, or a gravity system can result in a higher water level at the source...among the many possibilities. If this "student" was actually right, faucets would be atrocious devices to use as they'd always either be completely on or completely off, and if all spigots were completely off, the system would burst to allow the constant flow of water to remain unchanged. As those of us in tune with the real world know, this is not the case.

That’s pretty cool that it reached that far with your mod.

It looks like you have spent more time building and put 2 lens into your mod or did you just extend it a lot?

Cheers :beer: and Happy New Year!! :party:

no… it was still using 1 lens in front of the tube, a magnifying glass 2X power ( i wonder what 5X can do… does it makes any different?.. i guess i gotta buy one to find out :laughing:
as for the tube… for longer throw, you do need to increase the length of the tube ( just like telescope… sometimes you need to adjust the length to get clearer picture)
if you just want to shoot something like 50’ away… an 8” tube should do just fine ( the hotspot is brighter than the original without the doughnut hole)

Thanks for that comprehensive explanation. Best post of the thread IMO.

Happy new year everyone!

Someone needs to alert Mythbusters of the finger over the hose problem!

you are welcome, happy new year!

Long story short, the OP was right!

Hi guys,

Could everyone who has posted in this thread please read through their words and make sure they aren’t offensive or vulgar? In that case, the Edit button is waiting for you. :wink: Feel free to disagree with anybody’s statements about flashlights, but under no circumstances should that translate into personal insults.

Your garden hose is not a constant flow system. That is the problem with NZ Shooter’s supporting evidence. He is comparing apples to oranges so to speak. A garden hose is mostly a constant pressure system. I say mostly because there may be line losses in the plumbing system once the flow rate goes high enough that could cause a pressure DROP at the hose entrance.

“The higher community pressure would fill the home system and effectively provide the higher pressure to the hose inlet……”
If the higher community pressure provides the higher pressure at the hose inlet then the pressure regulator isn’t working. If the pressure regulator isn’t working the system will already be at the higher pressure.

Here is a simple experiment everyone here can relate to. Instead of using your finger over the hose, lets use the faucet over your pipes at the sink. Open the faucet all the way and time how long it takes to fill a pitcher. Next barely crack the faucet and time how long it takes to fill the pitcher. It will be obvious the flow rate has decreased. Do I need to continue?

I was never here ;)

DayLighter: what about a beamshot without your mod at the same spot?

+1 agreed :slight_smile:

i doubt it very much the light will hit that building, as it is a flooder light.
the only thing it can do is annoy my neighbors by shooting light at their windows :smiley:
but in the name of science… why not? will try to get it done tonight when it gets dark