Looking for my perfect zoomie

Hi all,

I’m relatively new to decent flashlights, and am looking for some advice if possible.

I used to have 2 cheap zoomies, liked them but they were lacking power.
At the recommendation of a friend I bought a Sofirn F1, which I really like, but its small and also lacks power.
Then I bought a Convoy S21D, which has a lot of power, good formfactor but no zoom.

In my head my perfect flashlight would be something similar in shape/size/buildquality of the Convoy S21D, with a good far zoom and a very bright led inside. I don’t need a super long runtime heat wise on maximum/turbo, but I would like a decent runtime on half brightness or something. Maybe at least a minute on full power and then an hour on half power would be nice.

Now the question is, does a light like this exist? If so, which one is it? And preferrably on a budget ofcourse (I’d say max 50 euro, can go up a bit if its really the perfect light).

Hope anyone can help :slight_smile:

EDIT: some afterthoughts. The S21D I got was with a XPL Hi. also I imagine that weatherproof is gonna be hard with a zoomie, so its not a hard requirement. Wouldn’t say no to it tho.

Convoy Z1 is the most recommended zoomie here. Get the CULPM1.TG emitter for good throw and brightness

Convoy Z1 with a SFT40 would be my recommendation.
The head of the Z1 is larger than the S21D but if you want a powerful Zoomie it’s necessary.

1 Thank

The only zooming light I have ever seen that is worth anything is Led Lenser. Please remember zooming lights are an absolute terrible compromise between flood and throw. Meaning they dont do either well. Not to mention they introduce significant artifacts due to the zooming mechanism.

I am a zoom defender for interiors and for nearby photography profits also indoors. I have several zoom that I keep using. But, if I had to choose between zoom and no zoom, I would never, ever choose a zoom. Especially for exteriors because it is the worst that someone can carry as a flashlight: horrible, terrifying, very bad choice. No matter the manufacturer, size, power, etc. Worse, impossible!!!

I’ve got the perfect one but I forgot the name and model. It is in my flying car right now and I sent that out on an errand to get some groceries. I hope it comes back. It has been gone for about a month.
Edit: Good news, I just got a text from my car.
Never mind, it was a month old mayday. The car was going down. Likley crashed and burned. I doubt the flashlight survived.

Id choose the convoy z1. On the internet it is called the best zoomable flashlight there is. There are some high powered or long throw emitter options, but the w5050 sq3 gives you a high quality, round, lep like beam. No square being projected like cheap zoomies

1 Thank

Have a pleasant time at this friendly forum, ZoomiePeter!

What about the Weltool M8? It’s an 18650 light, so less capacity, but should perform quite well.