Looking to HIRE Someone to Make Me a Custom Flashlight

Intensity
Throw
Focus
Lumens
Wavelength

…there’s a lot to consider.

Maybe I should just ask you all, what is the best available light for the job, whether it’s a flashlight or a work light or whatever- that will run on batteries and have the brightest, longest sustained light.

I understand that Big Lumens are not sustainable for long…so how much light can I get, and for how long, with what’s available off the shelf? And once we have that figured out, the same question for portable UV lights.

And then beyond that- can you guys improve on those lights?

Also- let me ask you guys who know stuff, regarding the light shown in the video linked by Lightbringer, the one made by the late Samm Shepard, how long do you think available batteries could power that thing at max output? Cause, I really do not know.

The light in the video has 9 lipo cells in series at what looks like 2200mah.

Runtime of that thing would be less than 10min

@CathyApgar, don’t forget that he is using ill-rated COB LEDs. They don’t output 10000 lumens at 100W, but rather 6000 lumens.

So you would need even more power to actually get some good luminosity out of it, and color rendition would still be disgusting.

Still, it would be doable if you can find an optic that fits this beast:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/MAXTOCH-Copper-MCPCB-4pcs-XPH70-32mm-x-1-6mm-Direct-Thermal-Path-Copper-Board/314381_32670892276.html

Then build the light around it.

However, I actually have a different recommendation for you.

Do you know about the BLF Q8?

Well, what you can do is actually replace the LEDs with very high CRI dynamic range 4000k SST-20s. It might not get 5000+lumens.

And with this light, it can actually sustain the brightness without too much difficulty with some cooling due to its excellent design.

And for battery life, you can sign up for this extension set for the Q8:

And get this monstrosity running :):

You would actually need 16 3500mAh 18650s to get the required 3 hours of brightness though :smiley:

BlueSwordM, you are go for launch.

Yeah. You’d need 4 tubes for it. Doable, but not too practical without a handle.

Then again, runtime is your priority, right? Just sign up on the list for 2 sets if you want :slight_smile:

And get these LEDs preferably, SST-20s 4000k:

I am currently doing a groupbuy to get them for a much lower price:

Handle is fine.

I like everything so far except for the 4000k. I need much higher - 7,000k or better.

Uhh wut? Why exactly? That would be close to a white-blue LED light… There are almost no high color rendition 5700k+ LEDs.

Chanzon High Power Led Chip 100W Cool White (9000K-10000K/3000mA/DC 30V-34V/100 Watt) Super Bright Intensity SMD COB Light Emitter Components

Not to argue with you, because my knowledge in this realm is very thin, but what am I missing?

Color rendition mostly, along with poor efficiency.

If you want a sunlight like one(5600k), I would get this one:

Color rendition is basically defined by CRI.

70CRI is average/mediocre.

80CRI is good.

90CRI is excellent.

95+CRI is about perfect for LEDs.

OOOOOH.

BlueSwordM you do realise she is requesting a light to attract bugs not for her own eyes…?

As long as it attracts lots of bugs, it doesn’t matter to me. I’m not photographing or curing or inspecting anything. :slight_smile:

Ooooh. Can’t really help her than, other than about some anecdotal evidence.

I’ll leave it to the experts in the field.

:cry: :person_facepalming: :neutral_face:

Can the magnificent light you speak of not be built with the higher Kelvin LEDs?

Yeah, but the variant of the LED we want(6300k LH351D 90CRI) is not available to customers unfortunately :frowning:

Who do I have to be to get my hands on some? If the thing exists, someone must be able to get them. No?

No, not unless you want to order a few 1000s of them…

Oh phoo. But, if I could get some, how many would I need?

And, what does the LH351D 90CRI part mean? Is it important? :blush: