Lost about 3 dozen tabs in firefox failure/crash, looking for a solution

I installed session manger, its kinda confusing to me so far but i will try some of its features and figure out how they work, i do hope its as good as everyone says it is :slight_smile:

The max tab i ever open is 20 and found amazing some of you here open a hundred of them :open_mouth:

Tab Mix Plus for closed tabs/crashed firefox

Xmarks for an off site backup of ALL bookmarks…I must have over 2000 or more bookmarks and any time I can retrieve them or if I have to re-install on a new computer voila…syncs all my bookmarks to the new computer.

Any chance using another browser, like Opera maybe?

The power of Firefox is in the add-ons…

The combination of the session manager and tab mix plus add-ons to Firefox provides powerful control over tab management with no downside.

Once you install them, open the options windows and set them as you like. There is a setting for auto save. If Firefox crashes all of the tabs will automatically be available when it re-starts.

(Tab Mix Plus also provides the capability of Undo Close Tab when right clicking the tab display and you can control how many Tabs you want to be able to resurrect.)

At any time you can save your open session under a custom file name, and you can load any of your saved sessions to replace your current session… or add those tabs to your current session …there are many options available.

But here’s a little trick I use…

What I commonly do if I have hundreds of windows and tabs open in Firefox and it becomes slow to respond or act inconsistently or is unresponsive, is to use control-alt-delete to open Windows Task Manager to shut down Firefox in the Processes window.

This can be done at any time, and is essentially a “controlled crash” before Firefox crashes on it’s own, but either way, when you re-start Firefox, all of the tabs and windows will be recovered if you have “auto-save” turned on.

The advantage of crashing them and re-starting is that when they are restarted, only one tab from each window will be active. The others are only activated when you click on them. that reduces ram usage by 99%, and since Firefox doesn’t have to manage 500 tabs, it is faster and more stable.

Anyway, download these excellent add-ons and read the instructions…

Problem solved!

Sounds like you could use bartab. Unloads tabs that haven’t been used within the time limit you’ve set. No need to crash / kill firefox to unload tabs from memory.

What did I just read…

Thanks but I get into a lot of trouble when I run a bar tab…

:beer:

In that case the solution is obvious, an open bar, you will have no monetary bill to pay afterwards :stuck_out_tongue:

I use Firefox and Chrome…
How is the session manager? :bigsmile:

This is the reason I no longer use Firefox except for running Hulu/Netflix.

With Chrome, if I get too many tabs open, a few might crash, but it won’t freeze the whole browser and all i have to do is refresh to get them back.

I agree, this is an advantage because each tab runs as different process.

i have a fraction of this many bookmarks!

Thats almost enough

The session manager just worked fine in the weirdest crash i have seen in recent memory, except i lost a bunch of private tabs, is there a setting to save them as well?
Before anyone asks they were used to beat some paywalls

The whole point of private tabs would be defeated if they were just saved with normal sessions.

Due to Mozilla’s policy Add-ons MUST respect private browsing.

Though there might be a work around if you search for it.

that sucks, i sometimes want to cite articles i have read then have trouble finding later, i wish private mode kept history to be honest.

Bookmark them all, call the list private tabs or whatever, that way you can still find them and clean it up so its not cumbersome with 4 yrs old links. Or cant you bookmark them either? I dont private tab so have no idea if even possible.