Low-cost copper pills, spacers, optics, drop-ins (Updated 23/10/2022))

Is there a single AA version ?

Yes. That’s what I have.

We need to start a thread so we aren’t messing up Kibarus’ thread.

Bob

Even worse I think it’s quad threaded. There’s only the thickness of the collar available as pill if you don’t use the space inside the tube. Even then the head just barely covers the o-ring. One of the main components of current Minimag mods is the removal of this length from the tube to make the space available in the head for the driver so if you want to avoid cutting the host then using that tube space for the pill becomes a necessity. Having run 2A or more through even smaller hosts like the BLF 348 I don’t think heat is as serious an issue as it was before DTP stars became prevalent. The pill could be made much simpler eliminating the threads and collar, leaving just enough post to protrude a few tenths of a mm past the tube and use AA or JB to secure a 14mm DTP star. How many do you make of a given type in any one run? I could buy several for myself, they’re so small shipping won’t be worse than for one or two of the larger pills.

They don’t make a single cell Minimag other than the solitaire and triple cells are rare. If more driver depth were needed the pill could be combined with a single cell spacer to provide much more driver depth and heat sink volume for use with 3V LEDs.

Small parts are harder to make in manual lathe, they take too much time. Also, I still cant find way to make it (minimag mod) as ready-for-use parts, without host machining, problems with driver mount. There is not enough placd inside head to use any popular optics, 14mm dtp pcb does not exist and so on.
If double cell is most popular, we are not going to use AA, and there is no place for buck driver, we need Vf~6v. There is no place for 20mm quad pcb or 24mm quad optics without head and bezel machining, so we look at single leds with needed Vf. MT-G2 is enormous size for this light. XHP50 requires frosted tir or OP reflector for pretty beamshot. And good, thick shelf under mcpcb, otherwise this is excess work.
I will probably try to make one sample for myself. And that we can decide perspectives of this project.

I have searched for it a lot too , kiriba . They only way not modding the host is with the pill RBD showed before (Well , you would be able to do it the other way too, but it will still accept 12mm drivers only ) . Negative side for me is you can’t use 17mm drivers .

If someone has a 19mm drill (or buy one for 3-10:money_mouth_face: , a saw , and a file , he can make it accept a 16mm MCPCB and a 17mm driver ( with the use of an extra pill ofcourse ) . The idea is this : Match's Mods: 15min mini mag mod , but of course with a custom made high quality pill .

The 16 mm noctogon is actually 15.8 mm and does fit in the minimag without sanding. Sinkpads are +16 mm and don’t. I can start a separate thread for a DIY pill which is all that’s missing for drop in ready.

It looks like MTN is currently out of 20mm TPAD Quad XP DTP Copper MCPCB.

Does anyone know of another source? I’m in the US.

I think nobody else is selling them in US. But here are great people, you may ask if anybody have few extra one and Im sure you will find help.

All ideas I have seen here about AA mag mod can not suit with my kit principles - good fit, easy mod, better heat transfert, low-cost. I promised that I will try to make one more suitable config, that wont meet last option (5 parts could not be cheap), but three from four is not so bad solution as I think. I want to make it fit 20mm optics, 20mm mcpcb over solid copper shelf, 17mm buck driver, all without host machining.

Unfortunately , as you said, that’s not possible . Without machining/modifying it could only fit 12mm driver and a 16mm MCPCB .

I would be glad to make impossible parts :crown:

It would be great if you could :beer:

I would like to buy one of each of:

• Aluminium spacer for Eagle Eye X6
  • Convoy M2 Carclo quad copper spacer+brass liner

I’ll take 3

Copper spacer for Carclo triple Convoy S2+/S3*/EagleEye X2/BLF A6/Astrolux S1

Got my “pills” today! Quite fast shipment too

You sure?

Блин…

What about materials too? I would be glad to have my hand on some polonium 220 or cesium 137 :innocent:

You know Kiril, back in 1998 i was working in Samara for 8 months( i was a young still studying juniour engineer), the local TU factory made some stuff for us by that time, they even made exact copies of a bathroom siphon from pure aluminium( the original was made from plastic)

Working on Courui D01 pill.
Current thoughts:
Threads: yes
Longer cylindrical part: yes
Tight fit cylindrical part: yes (please measure this dimention on your host)
Due two options above, switch hole: no, you will need to make it itself (screw pill inside, mark switch hole position, remove pill and drill hole).
Questions:
PCB pocket size?
Driver pocket size/mount place/screw place? Extra contact ring?

It’s probably too much trouble to make press fit sinks, unless people have a way of sizing, and fitting the minor bore, and then pressing it in, with either with a hydraulic/manual press, C-clamp, Vise or bash it in with a rubber/leather mallet? Easier to make the threaded sink maybe? I have made a few, press fit, about 10 of them, out of copper and aluminum years ago, and copper was kind of over kill really. I press fit them into the minor bore and shouldered out on the ledge. I also made them 1mm taller then the stock shelf so I could put the reflector on the board. The 32mm Noctigon is really the only way to go for lead clearance! And you still have to clear the reflector bottom a bit, if you don’t use a centering ring if I remember correctly. I did make a print of the sink, I just don’t know where it is any more???

I’ll take a look around and see if I can’t find it?

Until connection is not electrical, there is no need in big pressure between connecting parts. With 0.1mms of thermal grease it will transfer heat same way as with high pressure press fit. I was not going to make press fit pill, it will have threads, Im just looking for other ways to improve heat transfert.
32mm boards does not look as best decision. I know that courui reflector is very wide from bottom and bigger board means less problems with wiring. But they are available in xp size only, also 32mm is to big size for straight wire holes drilling.

Guys, I cant make new parts with so few communication. I cant have all hosts in all configs, make several build a day like some members, so I dont know all reefs. Im try avoid spamming lots of extra letters here, but if I ask smth this means that I really need more information that I have.
Once again.
If here any need in copper pills for Courui D01?
Should they be extended height and as heavy as it is possible?
What driver and pcb would you like to use with?