Lux Pro 2D conversion kit teaser thread

Now that is one sweet design. When do we see the NASA pictures?

You mean the ones where we zoom in on a launch vehicle from far away?

Yep, I saw those crop pictures on Facebook the other day. I did not realise they were yours. You must have a good team helping. RBD was helping me the other day do my first driver. I managed to solder all the components on and make smoke when power was hooked up. I've got to get a more powerful magnifier before I try again.

Making smoke sounds like a good start. :slight_smile:

I think I misinterpreted your joke at first and panicked a little: “How did I accidentally upload those to FB?

BTW your daughter’s site has a broken image on the front page. Looks like it’s from FB, so it might be working on computers where she is (or you are) logged in. She should consider copying the pic to the site itself.

Thanks wight. Shes onto it. Well onto it in her own time. Just like taking the dogs for a walk. It will be tonight sometime.

Its taken me awhile to get into this driver caper so next time I hope I get light even if its sparks. I'd love to know what the components actually do that go into it but that would take someone with a degree in patience for that to happen. lt was your video that caused all this to happen. Well I have to blame someone.

Is that a defiant?

Wrong chain store. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

This is what happens when people come to me for help. I’ll gladly help them break something.

So the mid size boards are for 8 cells?

This is what happens when people come to me for help. I’ll gladly help them break something.

So the mid size boards are for 8 cells?

Yes!

errr, and as it turns out >5A through 10 cheapy Springs wants some braiding done. Who knew? :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:

The springs are generating enough heat to vaporize flux. :frowning:

Who do you have making your pcb´s? They are not purple I see. Just wondering.

Get beryllium copper springs.

Looks like parts for the 2D Lux-Pro from Lowes. I’ve got 3 of them stashed around the house.

I don’t think they fair much better at these currents:

I think whatever springs get installed will want to be braided.

You hit the nail on the head! That’s exactly what it is.

Worthless teaser thread, sorry about that guys! I hope you had fun anyway. :wink:

The kit is intended for converting the LUX-PRO 2D flashlights (MAX2DLXII aka LP1100BL) to:

• e-switch operation
  • high current MT-G2 or XM-L2
  • 8xAA (basically Eneloops or go home)

LUX PRO 2D MT-G2 8xAA HIGH-current e-switch conversion kits

Sorry for ruining the tease. I’d be interested in the conversion as I’m running 4AA with cases in my stock lights…

You were right on time! I started the teaser earlier than I intended due to being so excited about it. Your post happened right as parts came into hand. I took a little while testing to make sure things worked as expected and now here we are.

Doing the full conversion is a bit hairy! If that’s what you’re looking for it should be doable for anyone who’s able to solder fairly well. (or for anyone who can solder at only a low/moderate level but is able to reflow). Alternatively if you’re just looking for something in the 3A range with XM or XP series LEDs you can just build the carrier and use anair-wire to bring BAT- back to the tailspring contact area. The center board is drilled for this, but the central solder point on the top PCB is not really made for it - you’ll have to scrape and solder to a different point. No big deal at all. Doing that would allow the use of simple clicky stuff for ~3A operation.

Just woke up.

Is this happening? I never had the Lowe’s lights so I’d not read this.
But it looks like it’d be worth trying.

Also wins the slowest-loading-topic award for the week, probably why I’d quit watching it long ago.

Sorry for the slow loads, those are my fault. It’s definitely happening over here in the WTS thread = WTS Lux-Pro 2D MT-G2/etc 8xAA HIGH-current e-switch conversion kits - now with (opt) driver assembly. For those who missed the Lux-Pro sale (assuming they don’t go on sale again soon) the kit is primarily interesting for use in D-cell Maglites. Some new D-cell Maglites have the same ID as the Lux-Pro, where thin AA cells barely fit in the 4*side-by-side config. All old D-cell Maglites (serial number without a D) can easily fit 4 thick AA side-by-side, a good option for Eneloop XX.