Match's Mods: 15min mini mag mod

It’s a TIR lens made by Carclo with a wider beam spread combined with a frosted finish to give a smooth floody beam.

http://www.ledsupply.com/10140.php

They are available for in a number of styles and are perfect for the minimag application when using Match's p60 mod.

http://www.ledsupply.com/carclo-optics-xpg.php

Well, I didnt really want to order from DX, but it seems theres not much of a choice..

I want to mod 2 minimags, which carlco lens would I use? 20mm.. but narrow frosted, wide frosted, medium frosted? I guess I will lose some lumens.. but that beamshot just looks sweet.. no need for the reflector then, right?

I think I should go with XPG.. in neutral white I guess (not blue, not orange)? Any better buy than the one Match recommended in the first post? Also, where will I get an empty pill? That link to KD is dead.

Thank you guys :)

NightCrawl, are you in the US? Illumination Supply has some 20mm Carlco optics now and they have empty P60 drop-ins. Here are empty P60 drop-ins at DX. Here is the KD empty drop-in. Shiningbeam has a nice Neutral White XP-G R5.

Hope that helps.

-Garry

NightCrawl, the Carlco optics from ledsupply are $1.25 each so I ordered most all of them to try out (wish I had ordered one of the elliptical). You don't need the lens holder. The 20mm TIRs fit right into the mini-mag head with or without using a lens. I place the TIR in the bezel and use a GID "O" ring between the TIR and head for centering (adds a cool touch when the light is turned off). These TIRs will work with either XP-Gs or XM-Ls. I like the wide frosted or wide ripple for close up work.

I've made quite a few now using Solar-Force P60 drop ins, XR-Es, XP-Gs and XM-Ls. The low voltage driver XR-Es and XP-Gs are nice if you're going to cut the body down to a single cell because they will work with a single Alkaline (not recomended!), NiMH or Lith-Ion. The XM-L requires a Lith-Ion if you go with a single battery.

Good luck.

First problem: I'm from Germany so most US-sellers wont send me anything.. and there are only few shops in Germany which are mostly expensive and dont sell much stuff.

Illuminationsupply, shiningbeam and ledsupply dont deliver germany, at least not at reasonable cost.

What does the beam look like when using a rippled lens? I wont cut down the body, they will run on 2AA and eventually be modified with a piece of QTC.

I ordered the drivers ( http://www.dealextreme.com/p/1-5v-4-2v-3w-cree-circuit-board-for-flashlights-16-7mm-5-6mm-25505 ) and dropins ( http://www.dealextreme.com/p/26-5mm-aluminum-reflector-drop-in-module-set-without-emitter-5955 ).

Maybe this emitter from KD: http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S009864 ?

Lenses are available in Germany.

I don't have any experience with that emitter, but I know it's pretty well respected around here. Have you searched the forum about it? Run across this thread with beamshots?

-Garry

It was recommended, but the beamshot comparing the 3 tints almost convinced me. But I might end up bying from led-tech ( http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Power-LEDs-Cree/CREE-XP-Serie/CREE-XP-G-R4-auf-Star-Platine-LT-1651_120_138.html ) because the KD star seems a little small..

The one you linked is a 20mm star, you planning to trim it down to 16mm to fit the P60 pill? Also, is that one neutral? Sounds like it's a typical cool white (6,000 to 6,500). EDIT: wait, that is neutral (3,900 - 4,500) - I had ended up on a different emitter page after browsing their site, sorry.

-Garry

Yes. Not a good plan?^^ I feel like you are telling my I should go with the KD one, which I might even do, now that I think about it. A smaller star might take away less heat, but it will definately fit without me having to work it and eventually destroy it.

Well it depends on how carefully you can grind/trim down that 20mm star and if you'll have contact points remaining for the wires to solder to. I have just recently ground down a 16mm star to about 13mm and I almost slipped and knicked the emitter dome a few times. I only used a file. It wasn't hard to do, but I was running out of solder pad too. This was on the Shiningbeam 16mm Neutral XP-G R5 I linked above.

-Garry

Ok, I just ordered 3 of them.^^ You convinced me. ;)

Now I'll have to figure out which lenses I want.. I only found some MCE beamshots comparing some tight, medium and wide lenses, tho I dont know which ones exactly.. any beamshots out there?

@garrybunk: I really have to thank you for helping me out so much. :)

@Itinifni: You said you tried almost all of them, which one did you like the best?

Your welcome. I try to help out when I can (I try to give back since I've learned so much here). I had inquired about trimming emitter boards before, but didn't listen to the warnings. Sorry I can't help with the optics at all. I know I've seen some beamshots around here and I'd be interested in seeing again. I'd like to try them out myself.

-Garry

Yeah, same for me. I've learned so much here in the rather short time of being here, thats just insane. I saw some Carlco beamshots too, but most were not for XPGs but for MCE and XRE. Maybe I'll just go for the wide frosted ones. Or order one of each, tho thats pretty expensive here. led-tech charges 2€ for each.. usually those are around 1.25$. :/

I gave most of them away already but just took a few pics of the ripple lens.

This is a single 14500, 3 mode SF XM-L and medium ripple with no lens.

High mode, about 3 feet from the door. You can see the hot spot is almost square.

High mode again, about 6 feet from the door.

The frosted and ripple beams are very similar when comparing medium to medium/wide to wide in actual use. If anything, I would say the ripple is a little brighter but the frosted a little smoother. After 6 feet or so I don't think you would notice much difference unless you had them side by side.

Edit: Just realized I didn't answer your question on my preferance. I prefer either of the medium TIRs for these little lights since I usually use them on low mode for close up work. I tryed everything I could to make a thrower out of the Mini-Mag but was never satisfied. Even using an XR-E with the tight TIR didn't do it, I think the head is just to small. The best I came up with was my first generation Mini-Mag LED. The head is a bit deaper and I thought maybe I could use the deep Mag reflector with an XR-E, again no luck, not enough room to sink the pill and get the most out of the reflector.

I was about to give up when I decided I'd see if I could grind the head out enough to use the XR-E with a trimmed down P60 reflector. After measureing the reflector and head it looked like I had enough room to do it carefully and still keep enough aluminum behind the threads to screw the bezel on. I was almost there when the threaded portion of the head flew across the room, I forgot to measure the grove for the O ring! I was cleaning up the tools and ready to admit defeat once again when I spotted the JB Weld hanging over the bench. JBd the pill/reflector into the head then the bezel onto the reflector and it looks perfect. It's the nice, tight beam I was looking for but I wish it was brighter. With all that JB Weld there's not much I can do about it now. I wish I had another first gen Mag Led, I'd like to do the same with an XP-G.

Matt

So, your mags are multi-mode? Does modechange work with twisting the head?

That throw-mod sounds nice, but I dont have tho possibility to weld and I thought I'd start with the easier mod..^^

I was torn between wide and medium frosted but as my mags are usually used for closeup stuff, I'll be following you on the medium one. Frosted may be a little bit darker, but I like the looks of it. Now I just have to get the lenses.. the only shop in Germany I found offers each lens for 2€ + 4,90€ shipping.

Anyone got 2 spare lenses to send me? :D

I find much of the time the lower output is easier on the eyes when working up close. It's also nice to have the ability to extend run time when needed. A simple 1/8 or less twist of the head changes modes. The SF drop-ins I've been using have memory which I also like.

I don't think you'll notice loss of lumens with the frosted TIR unless you held it side by side with a light with a reflector and lens. I think I have a bunch of original plastic Mag lenses I'd be glad to mail to you though I have no idea what the cost would be. A lens isn't needed with the TIR but I suppose it fits against the O ring a little better helping with water resistance and also protects the TIR a bit. With/without a lens determines how deep you will be drilling the head though.

JB weld is a 2 part epoxy, if it's available in Germany all you need is a paper plate and toothpick.

Matt

I like my U2 XML mini Mag with the single mode KD high voltage drop in.

I made one with this ramping drop in converted to an XPG and I use it the most it flashes while ramping when it hits full low, medium and full high. It pulls 1 Amp on high and it feels perfect for the minimag with 2 Trustfrire 14500s.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-r2-wc-3-mode-0-100-led-drop-in-module-for-wf-502b-and-flashlights-alike-3-6v-8-4v-17593

Yes, sometimes less output is more. Thats why I want to try out QTC.. we will see.
I do have original lenses, too. I was talking about the medium frosted ones.. :)

Oh, I thought weld comes from welding.. where exactly did you have to glue? Nothing to see in that picture.. the throw looks very nice!

Hi I've only joined a couple of days ago and wow, just a super site.

Noob question:

I know nothing about electrical components but I am reasonably good with hand tools. Can't wait to get started on something. I have lots of old mini mags and recently converted one with the "Terralux 140L kit". Easy and it worked. Q: If I used the Solarforce drop in http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=10&id=149 that "Match" suggested and then used regular 2 x AA alkaline s, what approx lume would that produce. Thanks ...... Knobby

Welcome to the BLF, Knobby !