MaxToch has Copper MCPCBs w/DTP

MTAmanda, do you have more info on this stars?
Is thermal pad levelled with contact pads, or is it recessed (like at picture below)?

Newp.

I really like the idea, but that's the issue that was brought up last time, and there are other issues. If it's concave or convex just a little bit, or there's a bump, the effect would be much more significant with a large combined mcpcb. It'll be expensive too. Not only is it a lot more copper, but it means fewer boards per run. I'll throw out a price range: $15-20. We might be willing to pay that much, but how many others would when they can use Noctigons for $6?

Where are you finding all these defective boards, did somebody dig through Hank's trash and grab a bunch of rejects? I have used probably near 100 of them and have yet to find even one that looks anything like that.

[quote=comfychair]

Received mine directly from Hank in June 2013. 7 of 8 stars have ~0.15mm recess, one has 0.12mm on one side of the thermal pad and 0.22mm on other. And I’m not the only one that ‘lucky’.
2nd Gen Sinkpads have ~0.075-0.125mm recess (from the datasheet), BTW

[quote=AlexTG]

Things have changed a lot from that first batch I have dozens and none are like that. All flat.

XP16 V2 in the image.

Amanda, is a 31.5 XP board in the works?

That picture sure makes me uneasy, the sharp edge right on your finger…Ouch! :Sp

Now Maxtoch understands we modders. :beer:

Shut up and take my money!

Not really, because if it is confirmed that the thermal pad is directly connected to the core, these boards will be fine, no testing needed. My board comparison tests showed that the performance of a (XM-)board with a huge layer of solder filling a gap under the thermal pad is as good as a Sinkpad with the copper pad nice and level with the surface of the board. So why would it be different with these, even if the thermal pad is not exactly level?

That's what I've seen as well. The only difference is the amount of solder needed to fill the gap. Just as the aluminum direct thermal path boards are really close to the copper ones even though the thermal conductivity of aluminum is lower than copper, a little extra solder thickness really doesn't have a large detrimental effect on overall conductivity even though its thermal transfer also isn't as good as copper.

I can imagine that there may be a slight difference with the XP-L vs. XM-L2 since you are trying to transfer the same amount of heat through less surface area but still it probably isn't a world apart.

Some of the 16mm and 20mm Noctigons from run to run did have slightly deeper depressions from what I've seen (I've handled a lot of them) but the recent batches seem to be getting better. The 3XP boards must be made somewhere else because they have been almost consistently flat.

31.5mm doesn’t have XP board. Only XML available.

I have sent Amanda a PM and asked for detail, which got answered quickly. So I ordered and paid for 5 MCPCBs via paypal a second ago.

It’s very nice to see how maxtoch responded to our ideas to improve their lights. These copper MCPCBs are just one example.

Now even being able to order the parts for DIY improvement is great. I had hoped a long time to see 32mm XM-L noctigons, but they never came. Now it seems I will get an even better fitting part.

So thanks again. :slight_smile:

I miss so much, from not coming around here and reading threads much. I contacted Amanda. I hope she doesn't know yet, how much of a turd I am.InnocentTongue Out

Glasses maybe?

Edit. I seem to recall someone using your name posting elsewhere. My memory could be failing me though.

I received two of the 26mm MT-G2 and two of the 26mm XM-L2. The price was good and the quality is fine.

Here are a few photos

They are recessed, but when you look at it, not really where they will be any issue. As you can see, the area where the led sits is about the same height for the center pad and the outer pads, so the raised area is outside the footprint of the die base. They should be fine.

Really rough on the back, but totally flat.

I think they will solve my problems with centering LED Maglite reflectors in the 2D lights. They are big enough to keep the wires from being close to the LED reflector in a 2D and that's all I wanted.

I understand there will soon be some other 26mm stars out from Noctigon?

Thanks for the update OL. The 26mm star mentioned sounds interesting. Hopefully it will help with the costs.

BangGood picked these up - cheaper: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Body-Accessories-c-2395.html

I totally missed this thread, just stumbled across the BangGood listing while looking for switch's. Wow, dunno bout you guys, but love having the LED wire connections way out there when you got the room for a 26 or 31.5mm star.

$3.39 qty 1, $3.12 qty 3 for 26mm copper direct path... Actually $2.87 for qty 3 after the "BLF" 8% discount SmileSmile

Thanks Tom E. Good find.

Does anybody know how these fit in the Yezl Y3?