MaxToch has Copper MCPCBs w/DTP

The MCPCBs arrived (3x 32XM, 1x 26XM, 1x 26MTG). Nicely machined, very good condition, safely packaged.
Minor imperfections on the screw holes of the 32XMs, closer to the edge than on the other versions and not completely round.
Negligible, I’m very happy with what I got.
My next batch will come from Banggood, though :wink:

Dimension for the 26 mm should make a perfect fit in a Y3, so both for XM-L2's and MT-G2's. This is one light I'm definitely targeting when the MCPCB's arrive because of the flat bottom reflector, the wires should be clear of contact on the MaxToch 26mm. This isn't the last we'll see of MaxToch MCPCB's, it looks like.

from tom e review :

24.5 vs 26

Ohh- yes, that's me! Smile That picture is of the star width, but the picture before that one shows the width of the pill top, which is 28.4 mm so plenty of space for the 26 mm MaxToch. Also, it's bigger than the stock star, so better still, more clearance for the wire connections! You will have to mod the alignment piece though - I've cut the edges off of them and just used it to center the LED itself.

O-L, what reflectors do you use for 2 D maglites?

damn i missed that,now i need to order new pcb :stuck_out_tongue:

OL uses Rebel reflectors I believe. (mag LED reflectors)

I'm waiting patiently for RMM to get these in stock. I'm thinking of going with the blf dd driver on the Y3, so this is definitely needed. Appreciate all the detailed info you've provided on that light!

If I really have to be picky I wish these boards can also be made thicker, about 2~2.2mm in thickness would be ideal. I’ve face problem with Courui big head thrower, T08 and HD2010 with the Noctigon boards being too thin, resulting the reflector cannot be screwed in tight. I had to unscrew the pill by a few turns to raised the LED position, which I think is not a good solution.

Some people reflow a thin layer of copper under the Noctigon to solve this issue, but I don’t have any copper that comes in handy and my local hardware stores don’t sell copper sheet (su*k to live here). By doing this there is also a possibility that the solder under the LED might be melted by the heat too. I realize that quite many lights need relatively thick LED board so it would be more convenient to have these DTP boards come thicker.

In lights that have a removable pill (C8, SRK, etc.) add a spacer where the pill seats against the head. Cutting out a washer from copper sheet can be not a lot of fun, most of the time I use copper house wiring of whatever gauge required for the right spacer thickness. That allows the pill to still be screwed in tight, and still get decent thermal contact, while raising the MCPCB closer to the front without adding anything questionable between the MCPCB & pill.

Thanks for the tip comfychair. I actually have done the similar thing to my Courui big head thrower by adding a stripped 22awg wires under the pill to act as a spacer. Although the pill could screwed in tight and raises the LED position by a bit but I didn’t do it neatly and I used multi-strand 22awg wire so I’m not sure if the heat dissipation could be affected. I think using copper sheet as the spacer is a better idea and I might give that a try in future.

I have lots of hoarded leftover house wiring scraps, .040" which I think is 16AWG, and .080 which is 12AWG. Wrap it around a socket or other suitably-sized round thing, snip off the excess so you're left with just a circle. Trim the ends until it will fit into the hole without overlapping.

Today I got another 26mm mcpcb…. :expressionless:
I ordered one 26mm and one 31 mm star, when they got available. I got two 26mm ones so I complained and after the obligatory cs crap they resend it…
But they resend the wrong one….
Sometimes I don’t get what they are doing there…

I guess I wasn’t clear enough in my message:
” I want the correct Star in 31.5mm diameter…”
LOL

I sometimes think I offer too much information. Seems people these days have difficulty understanding much that isn’t abbreviated or on Facebook. Maybe we need to speak with more simple sentences and grunt for punctuation?

Send 31.5mm Ug! :bigsmile:

Cheeseburger Cheeseburger, Chips, Coke……uh, Pepsi Pepsi! :stuck_out_tongue:

So is there any clear winner in Maxtoch vs Noctigon vs Sinkpad? Or does it just come down to price, available sizes, contact spacing, etc?

Hy,

i think the new MaxToch MCPCB perform almost the same, as Noctigons. I used the small 26mm XP-G-Board in the MaxToch SN6X-2X. No Problem with 5,5Amps. And i used the bigger 31mm Board in a modded S1100 with XM-L2 @5,67A. I could not measure any difference in output. I like the size of these boards so you don´t get problems with shorting by the reflector.

Greetings

Kenjii

I would rate the Maxtoch/Noctigon/Sinkpad MCPCBs to be virtually equivalent thermally, so it really comes down to available sizes and other features. Now that the newer Noctigons have the pads closer to the edge like the Sinkpads, I would rate them as virtually equivalent in almost every regard. That said, there are sizes available in some, that aren't available in others.

In DTP copper MCPCBs for XP-XM-MT (non-color):

10mm

Sinkpad: XP - XM

16mm

Sinkpad: XP - XM

Noctigon: XP - XM - MT

20mm

Sinkpad: XP - XM - MT

Noctigon: XP (also triple) - XM - MT

25mm

Noctigon: MT

26mm

Maxtoch: XP - XM - MT

~32mm

Noctigon: XP (single, triple, or quad)

Maxtoch: XM

Good compilations and it will be a good reference in the future, thank you Richard. :beer:

sundy 123,

Please contact member The Miller or member djozz about a quad DTP MCPCB we are wanting produced. They are working on getting a manufacturer to make a new light for us. They were planning on asking that manufacturer to source the new board. But, if we can get it from a third party, I believe that will be better. Or, you may work with the manufacturer to make it under their direction. If you do, you will have at least 500 pcs sold at once.

I just sent them an email to see if we can get samples of their DTP boards :slight_smile: