More Emitter Test Results (xpg2, xpe2, mtg2) Updated 11-12-12

Great stuff Match, THX!!

MTG is one baaaad emitter,on sst 50 currents it surpasses sst 90 lumens.Now to find a suitable driver for it I know there's also a 9,36 volt version too.I wish there was a source stateside for these so I can get on with a build.Thanks a million for your efforts Match,your emitter tests are the gold standard for modders!

Thanks match! Cool results.

Is the emitting area of the MTG-2 die larger, smaller, or similar to the SST-90 die? I wonder how their respective lm/area compare.

I think a proper 2xLi-on 3A output boost driver or a 4xLi-on buck driver meant for triple XM-L could be used with a 9V MT-G2 direct mounted to copper.

What driver would you use for the MTG2? I don't know much about them yet but I'm assuming you'd need a driver that can supply 6V which immediately removes all 7135 based drivers. Actually how do these MTG emitters work - do they need a constant 6V and you up the current to get brighter, or are they like every other LED and the Vf changes the more the current increases? Sorry, the '6V' in the name is throwing me.

- Matt

EDIT: Forgot to mention that postage from Cutter to me is AUD$10, and I can post international letters to the US for less than AUD$3 a pop. If anyone needs a hand let me know, I'm happy to help.

Yes you’re correct; the MT-G2 works like a ‘normal’ LED (Vf goes up with current, and is also affected by temperature, one reason they require current regulated power supplies).

I will check with you before I order from Cutter next :nerd_face:

Wowzers, Match you did it again thanks for the green xpe results! Is the red in the future tests?

That MTG2 sounds like a beast! Cant wait to see what you do with it!

Thanks for the info

Wow!!! Thanks for the results. That is outstanding.

I can not wait for MT-G2 outfitted lights. Yikes. Better start saving my pennies.

Great testing, thank you! Now get an XP-E R3 to compare. :P

Sounded like a noob question but I had to be sure :) I need an MTG2 I think. Wonder if I can cram one into my P60 triple drop-ins as the ultimate mule....

Postage is cheap for LETTERS (as long as it fits through a gap roughly 20cm by 3cm it counts as a letter - so really you could fit thousands of emitters in that). Parcels up to 500grams are $13.70. Neither if those include insurance. So like everything it's a bit of give and take!

I’ve read this post a few times today and am still thinking, WOW. Might not make a D26 dropin, but playing with that new M3 dropin from SolarForce got me thinking. I’ve got a few host to play mix-n-match with, a few in 26650 format. Anyone think this could be fitted to a JM-07 and what drivers? 5.2 amps at 6v that doesn’t sound like a lot of heat for 2850 lumens.

So a MT-G2 direct driven off 2 LiFePo 18650 batteries in a toilet plunger light with a drilled bezel hole to make room for the thing sound like a good idea to me? Any thought anyone? :-)

Wow, great stuff. Looking forward to how you go about soldering the mt-g2 once mounted on copper - it appears to lack tabs on the top.

Sounds sweet to me! Let the lumens begin!

Gotta luv that MT-G2. Next week the Chinese will have one with Seven of them in a light, powered with 500ma each and they can claim 50,000 Lumens!!!!

This made me laugh....

Maybe someone here should beat them to it

Only 50000 lumens? They can do better than that when they can get 1800 lumen out of an xm-l!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170922149181&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=45033309277

Run on AAA’s no less. O-l, the bar is set, get on with it…… :bigsmile:

Dang this is exciting, I’m going to look into the mtg2, if someone is doing a group buy or building a batch of lights with this emitter, I’m interested :slight_smile:

Can you please post comparison pics between the MTG-2 and an XML emitter, I predict ThruNite is blowing away the remaining TN31 stock to make room for a MTG2 super thrower, already saving my pennies!

HA! I thought that too,that is an awesome thought that they would use the MTG-2 for a thrower.Olight de-throned them with the SR-95ut,even though a different emitter this their chance to get back at em.

I started thinking on how to get the needed voltage the mtg2 uses and maybe one of this can be used with a trimpot

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html