More Emitter Test Results (xpg2, xpe2, mtg2) Updated 11-12-12

I don’t think that would work, unless you wanted to do a quasi-direct drive with it? If not, you’d need a constant current driver, which might be difficult to find in the desired voltage range and current output. If your host can fit it, it would be hard to beat an H6flex, which will put out up to 6A (I think). Pricey though and relatively large at 40mm or so.

I know one of the modders with a lathe needs to buy one of the 100mm aspherics and make a head for it, for the MT-G2. Put the head on a Maglite and Make it a real thrower.

Match

ChicagoX

MRsDNF

PCC

PilotPTK

Who else?

Actually I dare one of you guys to do it.

I Double Dog (Dawg) Dare you!Tongue Out

Unfortunately those multi-emitter LEDs and asphereics don’t play well together. You wind up projecting an array of dots. You could use a diffuser or defocus the lens, but you lose throw and light.

You’re right, but from all the pictures I’ve seen, it looks like the MT-G2 has a single die (and a massive one at that :smiley: ). The previous version of the MT-G however, had multiple dies, which would cause the effect you mentioned.

Everybody with me now!: De-dome! De-dome! De-dome!

Crazy you posted this, because I had just been looking for the same solution and found this:

http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=209

I don’t know if it’ll work or not. It appears to limit the voltage to 5V or 6V depending on switch setting, and current max is 3A, but my question is, will the LED attempt to draw more through the thing and just trip the overtemp circuit?

Edit- Just looked and found this PDF Manual and it looks to have an overcurrent protection at 3A. Would I be correct in assuming it would just hit that and trip immediately?

Some more results from germany:

Close to 700 lumen. After 2A there is a huge difference in performance..

In the Cree MT-G2 datasheet it states that the max current for the 6V version is 3A, yet you test beyond 5A.

I've recently purchased the 36V version and it states the max current is ~500mA. Would it be safe to assume that I can drive my version to 700mA?

Quick math (without extrapolating voltage increase inducing current increases) compares power through the LED at 30W compared my to desired ~25W

Just want to know if I have to current-limit my driver. Heaven forbid that something like that should ever happen on BLF.

lol, who won? :bigsmile:
Really want to see what will happen to Nichia at 2A :stuck_out_tongue:

Match, could you have Vf tested of MT-G2?

Awesome, TP. Thanks a bunch :beer: :wink:

any xp-g2 results on copper? (sinkpads)

I sent him a batch of the copper stars along with new gen emitters a few days ago, so we should have the tests before too long.

Thanks! I can’t wait to see match’s results with these babies.

Anyone know what the Vf is of the Mt-g2 in the range above 3A? I’m guessing ~7V @ 5A. Where is it at 9-10A

Send me one (on or with a Noctigon) and I’ll tell you… :party:

very interesting, but match’s tests show more lumens on a regular board then the link does with a noctigon no dielectric

djozz is using a reflector and measuring ceiling bounce. Match used no reflector and an IS. I can't imagine why the numbers would be different!

I agree but i want actual comparable lumens, if you say lumens it should be lumens, ceiling bounce and reflector should either be corrected or stated as lux