MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

Just to cut down on the confusion and the time RMM spends answering questions it seems like it would be worthwhile including a high resolution photo or drawing of the populated board with each board type that RMM offers. If not shipped as part of the build kit then include it as one of the photos in the board listing so it can be downloaded and printed out by board and kit purchasers. If the board can be assembled with different options then include a photo/drawing for each option with clear labeling.

The old Heathkits included very complete documentation so in general even a novice electronics assembler could build their boards.

Just a suggestion.

I took this picture earlier today:

It is the MTN-17DDm FET + 3175

I used to think I would get some kinda (weirdo) ZEN satisfaction assembling my own drivers too, yeah O.K. that was short lived (F-bombs aside):bigsmile: Now I just keep a GOOD supply of FET’s and 7135’s at hand, because that’s what goes when I see the tell tale spark, sliver of smoke, dim erratic modes, or no modes at all. :_( Got real good at replacing them!! :smiley: The rest I leave to the Pro, King of stacking chips, Richard!!

Thanks. I think that’ll be helpful, but could you do a pic w/o the emitter wires?

I have another one to build and I can take a pic of that w/o wires if not.

Jim

Building these is much easier than stacking chips!

In my case I reflowed the small components first then the FET and MCU.

To reflow, I used solder paste & put the board on top of a 1/4 inch copper plate and heated that from underneath w a small torch.

thijsco19’s pic is much, much clearer, so use that for clarity, but here’s an annotated pic of a populated board without the emitter leads:

specially for you. :wink: :bigsmile:

Anyone? Thanks

It depends on what code is running on it, and whether there’s a zener mod. Results can vary quite a bit.

4x 7135, 5 mode “classic” e-switch FW off-1-2-3-4, no zener mod, the lantern I’m trying to mod has a stock driver that only pulls 300mAh and a 1200mAh battery, I want to use at least 2x 219B to replace the generic led bar, a better battery and faster charging board. Model “UY Q6M” from gearbest, it has excellent build quality and heat dissipation.

Not enough drain to worry about it. Maybe if you were going to leave the batteries in there for a year or something then I would disconnect the driver, but really it isn't very much at all.

Preparing myself to go blind, XHP50 is on the way! :party:

Hee, hee! Mtg lumens in an XML package.

Richard, or anyone who knows - can the XTAR XP4c Charger sold at Mountain Electronics take a 32650 or “D” size cell? It doesn’t claim that size in the listing. I bought one of those chargers for a friend, with the primary purpose of charging Li-Ion 18350 and 18650 cells, but he asked about “D” cells, because he remembered he had a lantern that uses eight “D” cells, and he said it would be great to put rechargeables in it. Can anyone confirm whether a “D” size cell will physically fit in the XTAR XP4c Charger?

Also, Richard, if the “D” cells won’t fit in that charger, do you have a charger that you can recommend for me? As long as the price difference isn’t too much, I may want to change my order before you ship it.

Thanks!

I can’t answer your question, but if you want an answer before shipment, you probably should email the store. Lisa ships fast and doesn’t check the forum.

I’m not worried. I ordered a flashlight built in the same order. Also, my friend just told me he only uses that lantern maybe 3 times a year. So, he probably won’t be needing rechargeables anyway.

I wouldn't recommend it. The button is narrow on D cells and the narrow button coupled with the height and thickness means that there is no way it will make contact. For 8 D cells you really should get a dedicated NiMH charger since I don't think that any of the dual-purpose chargers are ideal for it.

Thanks, Richard!

Maha makes an 8 bay charger for NiMH/NiCad cells that has 8 bays and will charge AAA to D size, this can be found at Thomas Distributing, Maha MH-C808M at $83.97.

They’re not cheap though, and good Imedion low self discharge D size cells are expensive as all get out too, $30 a pair if I remember correctly. Imedion D, $27.97 a pair with 9500mAh capacity each.

The reason it’s worth it to go this route is because these cells will have around 85% of their charge a year later. A lantern will be able to be used any time the lights go out, whereas normal NiMH/NiCad will be dead in about a month.

I have this charger and 4 of these cells, they are exactly as advertised.

Thanks, Dale. I’ve discussed the lantern a little more with my friend. He’s not really concerned with having it at the ready in case of emergency or whatever. He’s got flashlights for that. I think he pretty much decided that for using it 2 or 3 times a year, he can just continue using alkalines.

To satisfy my own curiosity, you mentioned Imedion cells. Are those pretty much the best around in “D” size? I was looking at some Tenergy. I thought someone had said before that they were good. I don’t really know anything about quality cells. I might eventually use some NiMH “D” cells in my Maglite, if I ever finish trying to mod it.