MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

Urgent: Please help me with with my DIY MTN 17 DD.
I’ve already posted HERE
I can’t identify my last two components.

RMM< thanks for the replies, even during holiday!
As newbie modder, I sincerely hope some sort of manual/instructional leaflet and way to distinguish components is included with the DIY sets so not to run into the troubles Ouchyfoot is running into now.

Mostly it’s my eyes. One capacitor seems slightly taller than the other. With my eyes I couldn’t be quite sure, but a couple members verified this.
It would have been nice if one of the sleeves was color coded ( with a yellow or green marker pen) to coordinate with the diagram.
Okay, it’s built. Time to test it. The first one always takes the longest.
I’ll post in my other thread if I get it running. If I did good…The Miller can PM me if he runs into problems.

Okay. Everything works. Not at first though. Djozz and TomE pointed out that I had the MCU on backward. Nowhere was it mentioned about the orientation of the “dot”.
Oh well. The first times always the hardest. Whipped off two more in no time at all.

Thanks for replying back, I’d probably take one or two of them and see how I like them. I’m looking for nice big hotspots mostly not for throw with TIR lens.

Is my Internet slow or is RMM’s site loading real slow?

Looks like a nice build, especially with that triple 219C. I’ve wanted to make one like that, but have been too lazy/busy to actually do it. I wouldn’t be willing to do the engraving that way though; I’d have to actually print it via laser or something because I have no talent for manual engraving.

Is that a custom firmware build too? It looked like the battery check was the 4-bar style instead of the default volts+tenths. Also, how is the thermal regulation working for you? I haven’t gotten to test it on a triple or a tube light, only a single emitter on a much bigger pill, so I suspect it might react a bit slowly.

On my personal lights I put battcheck immediately after the hidden turbo, since I don’t care about tactical strobe. And without the config mode, there’s a lot of room for other stuff (even on tiny13).

I’d also order one or two to try, I like floody beams for edc.

RMM, would you consider carrying 16mm translucent / clear tailcaps?

I would like that as well, I would even buy a bag of tailcaps in assorted color and sizes.

Hey guys, I have to apologize for not being very active on here again. I have been struggling to keep up with everything since the holiday and then this morning I got on here and was going to get caught up when I got a phone call of the type that nobody wants to get dropped everything to go be with family at a time of need. I'll be catching back up now.

I apologize for not responding sooner; luckily BLF had my back. I need to do a better job with the kits and include some better instructions with them, at least on the website. You are not the only one with the capacitor or dot question even after looking at the page, which means that I'm not doing my job very well.

Meh, it takes a village.

Hope everything is ok Richard

Man it is tough to use the tool he uses...that thing grabs like crazy and takes away material pronto. He also for some reason likes to engrave sitting on the floor.... (he is a bit crazy, but aren't we all?)

That was part of my tweaking. I actually had the 8-bar style enabled, but the battery was a bit low. The thermal regulation is what i've spent the most time tweaking and I think it is almost there now. Initially, with a hot triple like the 219C, the light would overheat badly because the light wouldn't step down fast enough, so I ended up tweaking the step down intervals and amounts and then reflashing and testing dozens of times. After that was pretty good, I found that the light would overshoot the ramp back up pretty badly too, so I've been playing with that as well. I think that the settings I've got work pretty well for that particular setup, but I need to try them in some other lights to be sure (especially more 'sane' lights). I will be happy to share my changes once I get them tested in a few other lights---theyre not really major code changes, but instead are just basically timing tweaks on what you already had there.

I already shared this with ToyKeeper, but it seems like the attiny25 setup is definitely more sensitive to input quality than the attiny13a is on the same driver so some tweaks will have to be made to reliably drive the big triples.

I need to get on carrying all sorts of different tailcaps. How are you guys liking the lighted tailcaps, anyways? Have you measured the quiescent/parasitic drain? I built a light once using the bleed resistor to power a driver in the tailcap but the drain was way too high to be acceptable. I imagine that with just a tiny LED you could use a much higher value resistor though than I had to use to get the driver to run so the drain should be much lower, but I am wondering if anyone has measured it.

I usually use 560ohm on the driver, and between 3k and 6.8k in the tail (depending on desired brightness). The one I’ve had by my nightstand for months now draws about 0.18ma, but other people (that wanted it brighter) have seen drain as high as 0.7ma if I remember correctly. The newest versions have ways to shut them off when they’re not needed without disassembly

Family is always more important, tea and sympathy is my response to you and the Mountain Electronics family.

I just got a lighted tailcap working with your 17DD driver guppydrv rev2 today. It isn't very bright but definitely noticable at night. honestly it's awesome because it lights up the GITD boot.

I lost all my modes though. I only have moonlight. Using a 560ohm resistor on the driver, I even tried a 15k resistor and still didn't have any modes, and it was too little power for the tailcap leds to even light up.

Is there anything I can adjust on the driver (like a different value capacitor?) to get this to start working? With 4.2v battery and 560ohm resistor it is a .0075A (7.5mA) draw at max. The leds are rated for 20mA. I bought the wrong leds, everyone else is using 160MCD rated ones, the highest rated ones I have are 16MCD.

Best wishes, hope all is well.

Very sorry you received a call like that.