MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

Thanks! Describes me to a T. :wink:
I’ll be adding some to my next order.

Richard, any chance of getting XML2 U4-1A in stock? Also, I regularly purchase flux from a member off another forum. Would you consider adding some to the store?
Thanks

I am working on getting some new LED types, so I will definitely add that one to my list.

What type of flux? What type of container/applicator?

On the flux: what I buy is Kester (I believe), comes loaded in a syringe. This works well for small applications. As mentioned earlier I would much rather throw it in my cart well I am already ordering from you.
Thanks

Top of the list would have to be Kester. I would like to see a liquid in some form of dispenser and paste that could be applied with a fine tipped screwdriver.

TL;DR I’ve converted an L2T with an Omten 1277, a plain washer, and an appropriate boot. The boot came from a Convoy M2. An improvement will be to get a switch board better suited for the 1277 — perhaps this one.

I just converted two L2T to reverse clicky switches. Finding the right boot will be the trick. The boot needs a small button on the inside to reach a reverse clicky which is shorter than a forward clicky (for some reason).

I tried moving the switch board and boot from a Convoy M2. It fit together and worked mechanically but the board doesn’t connect ground to the tail cap — so no actual light is produced… Which is a pity because it means that this won’t likely work.

Next I moved the M2 switch (which is about the size of a 1288) to the Solarforce switch board and it works reasonably well. With the M2 boot there is a little bit of travel before it makes contact with the switch. It’s not bad, but it could/should be better. This boot works well but has 2mm less diameter and (although I don’t think anyone would notice) doesn’t look as good.

An Omten 1277 is taller than the 1288 and works well with the boot from the M2. Unfortunately it is much bigger and mounting it on the Solarforce switch board was tricky because the pads aren’t where you want them. It’s too large for the plastic shroud seen here at around 55 seconds, but a plain washer works in place of the shroud.

I believe that tactilely the combination of the 1277 and the M2 boot is better than the other combination. I don’t really feel like trying to track down the perfect boot for the 1288. So, as I convert others I plan to use the 1277 and look for an appropriate switch board[1]. I’m going to assume that the M2 boot is the same as Simon sells and get some of those.

Not very long ago Solarforce sold reverse clicky kits. They stopped precisely when I discovered reverse clicky switches are my preference.

[1] This switch board should accept the 1277 and it’s the right diameter. My only concern is that the positive pad is perilously close to the edge where it could contact the tail cap — but a few seconds with a file should remedy any such issue.

Wow, I had no idea it was going to be such an endeavor. My Solarforce L2P host came with a reverse clicky in it, but I bought it direct from Solarforce probably about a year ago. I’ll pick up a few of the parts you recommend and see what I can make work.

Thanks.

The secret is hot glue. You can use the glue to build up the post on top of a reverse clicky to work with basically any boot.

Thanks pd for that idea. How many times have I failed to do something as simple as you suggested.

Very sorry about your grandfather Richard.

Was there an update on the boost driver?

pilotdog68’s suggestion to build up the top post of a reverse clicky with hot glue makes a lot of sense. It would only take a little bit to make the Omten 1288 a good match for the Convoy boot. Or as much as is required to fit it to the Solarforce boot. I like that the 1288 goes onto the Solarforce switch board.

The other thing that occurred to me is that the Solarforce shroud was holding the 1288 away from the boot button. So I went back and by shaving a little off of the shroud, the 1288 works very well. A washer also works with the 1288 (a combination I had not tried the first time around).

The recipe I outlined before is pretty good, but I believe I’ll use Omten 1288 switches because they will fit onto the Solarforce switch board.

O.K. then… Now to complicate things a little more for myself — but probably not for anyone buying a new host — some of my hosts have different tail caps with smaller boots — but you probably don’t have that issue.

I bought my first Solarforce host (L2M) last summer. - I saw that it had a ‘Forward’ clickly, but I thought what the hell…

How little did I know. - This switch was designed back in the days of Incan single-mode lights, where it did offer the advantage of ‘Momentary-On’, but with a multi-mode light, I think that this switch Really Sucks!

Love the Host, but I have bought my very last Solarforce Anything until they bring the ‘Reverse Clicky’ back!

I have asked them about this on two occasions, and they have told me both times that they were waiting on stock. - Been 6 Months now.

Such a waste of a really nice host… (for a multi-mode light) … Otherwise, Hell Yeah! - Forward Rules!

(Rant-Off)

-Chuck
PS - Richard… Can you talk to them about this? - Please?

(Flame Suit On) :slight_smile:

Not here. I got the boards, and as usual I screwed something up. Back to redesign now and try again. You're going to be the first one to get one when they're ready...you've been patient.

Oh cool. Looking forward to it! Just need better AA hosts.

Do you still plan to offer the MTN-MAX driver in 20mm? That would be perfect for DST mods and many other lights.

I need to revisit it. The original PCB had a design flaw and I never got around to redesigning it.

Thanks Richard. I know you’re busy as hell, but I could sure use some when you’re able.

Are you planning on adding these to the store? I’d like to buy one or two and I need to place an order for some 18650 cells soon.

Thanks for the reminder. I just added them here.