MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

Oopsie, yes i noticed, just now... All is good in the world after all

Didn't expect that - I don't dedome very often, but when I do.... I'm used to seeing throw #'s associated with dedomes, not lumens, but ~250 lumens is probably about right (~16% lower than mine), w/slightly lower amps. Seems like very much in the same league as the 1C, which is great btw - the best #'s I've seen. In my own experiences I've found the domed U4 1C out-performs the domed XP-L V6's, but don't think I have any true valid apples-to-apples comparison, like in the same light, same driver etc., and same basic tint.

I noticed a few changes in the descritpion of Supfire M6 on MTN Electronics.

“Mod Option 2 V2:”
What does V2 stands for? What’s new?

In the list of tint choices, there is this:
“3C/3D is ”neutral white””

If the buyer choose this option, which LED will his flashlight have? 3C or 3D?

RMM…do you plan on getting any XP-L HI V3 leds? If so, do you have an estimate of when that may be?

Hopefully soon. I am really surprised that some of my main suppliers haven't had any for so long. I have been tempted to buy a full reel, but I think I would wait until V4 is released before I do that.

Are you getting any more warm.tint XML2?

question: why is Richard discounting the (white) Noctigon Meteors by $7.50. I thought white was one of the chosen colors. Plus he offers this light as a ‘bundle’ with 4 cells.

One can get this bundle for something like $183 shipped! I never got one of these but it sure was and is at the top of my wish list! Never thought I would like a Meteor coming

my way :-/

Yes. I am not sure when, but I will be getting more somehow. I miss those LEDs!

The white ones do not have a perfect finish. Check out the pictures in the listing. I have exaggerated the "two tone" finish on the battery tube with lighting to show the worst case scenario, but it is definitely there.

From the listing:

The white finish shows more marks and imperfections than the grey finish, so please keep this in mind when ordering the white. Also, some of the white battery tubes have an almost "two tone" anodizing line part way up the battery tube. Please see the two pictures of the white host before ordering! I am offering a small discount on the white bodies due to the imperfections.

Richard, I assume you get these from Hank, right? What is his point of view? Is it a faulty batch or a different manufacturer’s first attempt? It’s really hard to belive this did not ring the bell at his side when the parts were shipped to you, and to keep up the good reputation of the Meteors should have been exchanged immediately after you noticed something went wrong.

I am not very happy about it, but unfortunately this seems to be the typical Chinese way of doing business: good initial quality, followed by poorer quality, with plenty of excuses. Hank knew about it and told me in advance (after I had already paid for the lights), so I am not very happy right now, especially about the white ones, but at this point I still need to sell them and will have to deal with getting reimbursed later.

I am going to try my hand at selling a few Lumintop Tool AAA lights. I got a few of these a few months ago, and I really like them. Even in stock form, they are very nice, but they are also pretty sweet modified. I have one with an XP-L HI + FET driver and another with a Nichia 219C + FET driver. I have a driver that has been specifically designed for these lights, but I won't be able to build any until next week.

Tool Promotion

I am, however, going to run a promotion on these lights: everyone who buys one of the first 20 lights will automatically be entered into a random drawing to receive a modified Tool and battery (Nichia 219C, FET driver, and a 10440 Efest). If you buy two lights, you get two numbers. The drawing will occur after the first 20 are sold. Open to international customers as well, as long as I can ship the light to you (if your country does not allow batteries, then you will not receive a 10440 with the light).

My favorite AAA light. I think these are well liked and if you offer them modded you will be even busier :nerd_face: I’m definitely interested in a modded one but most likely these will be in short supply. Then u will have to expand the lineup, Cu, Ti, magnetic tailcap, special tailcap switch, etc. etc.

edit: I’m still waiting for the Mega M6 to show up on your site :frowning: Should I hold my breath or not? Anyone who has received a Mega M6 from Richard, would u mind posting your thoughts? Thanks!

Awesome, I was surprised at how easy that light was to mod and it packs a pretty good punch too.

Ouch!
We feel your pain……Simon, and now Hank!
The year could have started out better.

Laborers in Brazil, like China and the rest of the third world, especially developing countries, often seem to lack the pride/work ethic inherited throughout N. America and N. Europe, even though the Japanese had to teach some auto companies and labor unions in the USA how to build cars again.

Manufactured items in some cultures aren’t always thought of as things that need to last, and quality construction isn’t part of the social tradition in China.
Conversely, it’s interesting how, throughout the gem mining regions in Brazil, the Chinese always buy the best, pay the most, and dominate the market. It’s a heritage of the wealthy Chinese who traditionally have found the need to conceal, and easily transport wealth.

The danger of hand crafted goods suffering degradation, being compromised when evolving into mass production, or modified in passing to newer/expanded facilities, was witnessed when Harley was Purchased by AMF, Leica production went to Portugal, and Sony, the most recognized trade name in the world at the time, farmed out more of their production to compete against LG and Samsung, selling into the concept of ‘planned obsolescence’. Sony isn’t even one of the top ten brands in name recognition anymore. Before their founder died, they controlled discounting, sold for higher prices, boasted the best QC, and seemed to purposely maintain a cult status by being in short supply. They sold about the last Laptops assembled in the USA (though Foxcomm supplied their frames from China). Now they have even sold the name ‘Vaio’ to the Chinese. For nearly ten years, video games, and their Business Products Division are providing about their only profits.
Names like Philco and Emerson were purchased by Koreans, and Thomson (France) bought RCA. Even when it became about the least reliable name-brand TV in the USA, people kept purchasing them because they recognized the name.

Convoy/Noctigon may be confused by, or not fully grasp the mentality of collectors who purchase things they may not need, but appreciate for their aesthetic value.
Automobiles used to be more ‘collectible’, now most look like aerodynamically designed doorstops. You don’t see as many people collecting medium and low priced cars, other hobbies have taken up the slack.

When I was busy legally transporting gem and mineral materials to the USA from Brazil, the first thing I did after buying new suitcases was to skid them back and forth on a concrete sidewalk to break them in. For my purposes, function is more important than form or finish most of the time, discretion and subtlety have their place.
An improperly/poorly assembled flashlight is more worrisome to me than one appearing ‘broken in’. I would even consider painting one red as a gift for my ‘significant other’ if the purchase price was reduced for being an ‘irregular’. However, trying to charge full price, and worse yet, failing to be transparent when accepting orders, can be forgiven, but unlikely forgotten. Hopefully those involved will learn from their mistakes, and history will not repeat itself.

Leica and Harley both recovered from their misdirected attempts to evolve in the wrong direction. Malkoff and HDS know better than to try and become everyman’s flashlight, and Zebralight may have smelled the coffee before it was too late.
Most people are looking for something, or somebody to believe in, even if only an excuse for lazy thinking. A technician with an eye for aesthetics, balancing the left and right cerebral hemispheres, like both you and Vinh, maintaining integrity and craft while being able manage a business, is a rarity. It is even more obvious for those of us spending most of our time overseas.

Thanks Tjohn, nice post.

Richard, while I’m not interested in an Aluminum Lumintop Tool (have a copper one on order) I AM interested in your concept of the FET driver made for it. We gotta talk! lol (I probably already have this, but gotta check ya know!) :wink:

Can I fit an SBT-70 in the Tool? Oh don’t say it can’t be! I put one in my Texas Poker once upon a time…

If I want to put a nicha 219C in it, do I have to reflow it? Or do you have a special led board to go with?

I use the 10mm XP Sinkpad. I will reflow any bare XP-E2/XP-G2/Nichia 219C LED (or mounted LED) to it.

I upgraded my ReyLight copper tool to a 219C 4000K (from Cutter) on a SinkPAD 10mm, upgraded the wires to 26 AWG. Now it only works in 1 mode on a 10440, but does work ok in 3 modes on a AAA primary (before it worked well on any type cell). I'm thinking it's the wires that made the difference, allowing more current which is effecting the driver, so I'm not running a 10440 any longer in it. I can't say it's much brighter on a primary than stock, maybe a little. I'd prefer upgrading to a FET driver, making it "10440 only", so very interested in what you come up with.

10mm single sided FET driver with MMU instead of MCU and a way tiny MOSFET. It’ll put out nearly the same current as a full sized driver when run off an 18650, I’ve tested it at up and over 5A and I think I saw 7A to a triple 20mm light. Easily runs 3A off the Efest IMR10440 cell.

<—- Texas Poker uses one, with a Nichia running ~800 lumens on the Efest IMR10440

Edit: It’s not an easy driver to build, the MMU has to be mounted on a flash board, flashed with the UI firmware, removed, then re-flowed on the tiny 10mm driver board. All 7 of the normal components are present, it’s a packed little board!

Edit II: Richard designed this tiny driver well over a year ago, back when I was looking for the holy grail of drivers in my Texas Poker. Here, it sits on his Seis-Um for size comparison…

Ohh, silly me. Wasn’t think’n the 10’s were available single sided. Dang, will have to add a few PCB’s and part kits to my next order. Got a MtnE order on the way now… I’ll check first, but pretty sure the 10mm driver will fit in there. I’d think this is what Richard has in mind.