MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

Not sure... I know that the package has shipped but the tracking hasn't updated yet, probably sometime next week.

On another note... I am up here near midnight and I just finished another crazy late night project... I took an FET and mounted it directly to a qlite (105C). It is a beast! 6 amps on a 20R into a XM-L2 5B1 on Noctigon (I installed it into my S2) and it still has a good moonlight mode (when flashed with custom firmware)! This is only 0.5A below what it was doing direct drive with heavier gauge wire (I am still using 26 AWG wire!) I tried to test this setup with a 20R into 3 XM-Ls and it blew the fuse on my meter... which means that it measured well over ten amps. I bypassed it and ran it for a minute, the FET doesn't even get hot. With this setup why even bother with the East-092 driver? Better mode selection and low voltage protection. Got it working great with no added capacitor. Stripped all 7135s and bent legs of FET so that it solder directly to the factory ground pad and PWM pad. The LED - hooks directly to the FET. I need to take some pictures and post more info later but I am pretty tired... just floored at the performance of this thing, pretty crazy.

Next step is to try it with the MT-G2! How many amps you wanna guess? I guess we'll have to wait and see!

I am also going to try the XP-G2 triple... 7 or 8 amps? 2000 lumens out of a pocket light? Meltdown? Sudden death? I don't know, haven't tried to direct drive one yet but I'm guessing this will come close! Needs lots more testing to verify functionality and durability but for now it has been solid.

That sounds exciting Richard.

“This is either genius, or madness.” -Will turner
“Funny how often those two things coincide.” - Captain Jack Sparrow

I salvaged a pair of FETs off the driver my 3T6 originally came with. I’ll have to keep this in mind for future projects. :slight_smile:

[goes to look up FETs on google]

Holy crap, how does one of those survive 70 amps? You can weld with that kind of current!

So is it fair to say that the FET’s function is identical to the 7135? If hypothetically I were to solder another FET on top of the one on the stock T08 driver, that it will pump out twice the current?

Yes, it should increase the current by lowering the resistance. That is only if the FET itself was the limiting factor before... FETs are like a gate, they allow current through but they don't boost current. I doubt that it will double the current on the ZY-T08, but it may increase it a bit if the stock one is really high resistance and the rest of the supply chain (circuit) is allowing enough throughput. The stock controller also may not have the gusto to drive multiple FETs, it all depends on the FET requirements and what the controller is putting out. You could probably boost the T08 by bypassing the sense resistors... actually I know you can.

Ok, so now you know I need a few of those right? Qlite’s with FETs I mean. Go ahead, write em up and bill me for em, you know good and well I have to try that! PM me with the damage to my account…

Edit: One of those will need to me a Zener mod for my M8 :wink: No worries, it has a 10A+ capable switch already. :wink:

Edit II: With 2 20R on the MT-G2 I’m going to say close to 12A. (I cheated, have already done direct drive on a pair of 20Rs.)

Is that using the stripped board kind of like the master in some of these master/slave mods and the FET as the slave?

You’re probably already scheming on this, but if this could control 3 FETs like the triple slave/masters builds that would be a crazy triple driver… especially if it will run MT-G2s.

Yes, it is the same idea, nothing new about it...I can blame this all on Comychair--he's the one who started this "revolution" . He did all the work and was kind enough to share it with all of us! The Attiny13A can only do one PWM out at a time I believe, so we would have to go to a different controller if we wanted to independently control three FETs. However, I think that it could run three FETs, although that might not be needed. These FETs can handle a crazy amount of current (37A continuous, 100A pulsed), I'm guessing that 1 or 2 would be sufficient to run three MT-G2s...I guess there is only one way to find out huh? I've already got two test MT-G2s that have been subjected to a lot of abuse and been involuntarily dedomed...guess I would just need to add a third! Hopefully within the next couple of days I will have an answer to that question. The limitation would be that you would still only have two cells driving them, unless you throw two more cells in parallel.

I’m actually having trouble picturing how this works. I understand there are different shapes of MOSFET, you are talking about the flat square ones, right? How exactly does that massive thing mount to a Qlite?

TGT, if Comfy had anything to do with it, anyway he wanted it to! It might be sideways or edgewise or stacked or completely free of the main board. Never can tell! lol But it works! :wink:

+1 What he said. This sounds like what I have been looking for for a long time. If only someone could make the S6 in copper…

Can you load other DrJones firmware to the drivers you sell? When you start selling your 105c FET mod, I would like to be able to punch in the programming I want and adjust as the mood strikes me.

There are several open source PCBs being done up using the attiny13 and direct drive FETs - one for the SRK, and a 17mm 'super-092'. We're waiting on components to be delivered so the PCB layouts can be finalized, but this is not a long ways off, not vaporware like so many other projects seem to turn into.

The FETs are TO-252-size, same footprint as what's used on the east-092 (and many other drivers).

Attiny13 will happily run 3 FETs, as demonstrated with the old-style SRK drivers:

Attiny13-controlled drivers on their lowest settings, vs. the XPG2 triple running at NLITE's 'moonlight' mode:

That is awesome.

This is such a great idea it’s not surprising that there’s more than one group working on it.

This might just change the world as we know it! I’m ready…got my advance to next level hat on! :slight_smile:

Answer: 11+ amps out of two 20Rs onto an MT-G2. This is way too much! Zener modded the driver then ran it for about a minute and things were starting to get hot... not on the driver but everywhere else! All of the contact points were getting pretty hot! 2 Efest 18350s (probably a bit tired now) did about 5.8A settling quickly down to low 5's. The 20Rs were at 9.7A after about a minute. That's still a LOT of juice! This thing is great! Pana PDs charging now, I think that they will be the sweet spot with the MT-G2.

So a 6000+ lumen triple MT-G2 would be possible?

Do you have a Fire Extinguisher near by :slight_smile:

Richard - really love the Triple XP-G2 spacers! Finally built up a triple Convoy S2 with the parts from you: host S2, emitter, spacers - I had the triple boards from way back (one of first to get them), and optics from IS long ago too.

Mod Details:

- QLite plus 2 380's, total of 3.80A, custom programmed hi-32%-6%-moonlight-strobe-battery test/strob

- XP-G2 R5 3C triple with the 10507 optic (looks more warm than neutral, nicer than XM-L2 3C's seems like)

- MtnElectronics aluminum spacer seated with AS5, AS6 under the MCPCB (contact surfaces polished to 2000 GRIT)

- 22 gauge silicone wires

- Stock S2 host, no lens used, opened up the bezel opening a little to reduce blockage of light from the emitters - used a dremel sanding drum

- copper braided tailcap spring and driver spring

- measured 3.86A at the tail on a fresh Pana PD, lumens: 1,105 @start, 1,074 @30 secs, throw: 6.2 kcd

Wondering if anyone else is seeing these type of numbers. I'm not sure if the 3C's are lower output from the 1A's or not, since they are both R5 binned, but typically 3C neutral is lower output than 1A's. I know I've gotten more lumens from a XM-L2 1A at this amperage in a EDC light, but not really much more, and this will last longer and has a great tint.

The triples seem to be very stable - never measured a high of 3.86A on 10 380's before. Also, looked like I didn't need to copper braid the springs, but figured it would help as the cells drop in voltage. A single XP-G2 is difficult to get high amps from a single cell. I suppose the triples maintain high output for longer on a cell charge because of the lower amps per LED, resulting in lower Vf.

3.86A / 3 = 1.28A per LED, which by Match's chart is around 430 lumens, x3 = 1290 before losses. I think the TIRs are only around 85% efficient.