My ideal charger

There has been some thread about ideal charger recently and since these Asians have some wicked idea that 3 Amp charger is what makes us happy, I’d like to put it straight.

My idea is something between Intellicharger i4 and BC-700 aka IPC-1L,with these attributes:

• Charging/discharging current 10-700 mA
  • Switch between 3,6-4,2-4,35 top voltage placed VISIBLY ON TOP of the charger with big letters and even color - green-yellow-red. You know… these sliders that hide what is not selected.
  • Detachable or retractable battery holder to prevent charger electronic to heat batteries-with SHORT-LONG-SHORT-LONG slots:
  • Short/narrow bay - should accommodate anything between 10280 cell and protected 14500.
  • Long/wide bay - should accommodate anything between AA and 32700.

This should prevent sliders to have loose contact with small batteries and stiff loading long batteries. This arrangement should also prevent heating surrounding cells and sensors.

• 5 thermal sensors - one loose to sense ambient temperature and one at each bay. Selectable delta t 1-20 degree Celsius for Nickel cells termination. Should also include auto option to set appropriate value based on current.
  • Detachable big heat-sink with discharge resistors.

Auto-Detection table

0-Li protection reset
0-1.5V Ni-XX
1.5-3 Li revive 10mA
3-3.5 Upper switch decides LIFEPO4 or Li-ion
3.5-4,2 Li-ion

Charging should start with 100mA in small slot and 350mA in big slot. Current setting should get easily changed for each slot using left and right arrow. Steps should be 10-25-50-100-200-350-500-700mA.
For lowest currents - 10-50mA, there should be voltage or timer safety cut-off included as delta t might not trigger. It should also be possible to turn off this safety feature.

• On-Off button for back-light.
  • Input 12V and optional usb 5V.

Input should handle 15V for charging in car and up to 18V for solar panels.

Hmm, I’m not sure why you think this, or if you’ve actually seen a 3A charger? (I haven’t) Actually Milan, to put things straight 2A and 3A charging selections would make a lot of us that use 26650 and 32650 happy, and adding options below 500mA is close to useless for even many smaller cells, and for someone like me, basically your WHOLE set of charging currents above would be almost useless to my entire battery collection and I’d avoid a charger like that like the plague! :frowning: I dont enjoy the 5+ hrs of wait time already for my 26650s, I certainly wouldnt want to extend that time. Even at .5C is 1.5A current for the vast majority of new cells. There are already enough low current small battery chargers, a 3-4x26650/32650 with 2A+ current should really be the target to help users of all the un-addressed larger capacity cells and 26650’s (now 32650s).

I don't want a simple switch. I want to be able to dial in the voltage so that I can provide a correction if the charger terminates early or late.