New Independent Flashlight Website [www.gadgetconnections.com]

Got it. thank you! I love me a 519 myself. :slight_smile:

519 from here on out!

So more specifically, the 5000k SST-20 is low CRI and greenish tinted, so itā€™s hopeless. The 4000k is good if you get a good tint bin, but the one from convoy historically hasnā€™t been a good one, itā€™s also greenish tinted. The 519A is just more consistently good in tint and brightness.

Big whoops on my part. Let me ask you guys this. If I was stocking 3 new convoy S2+ tomorrow.

What should they be?

519 -2700k (because that is my fav)

and what else? :slight_smile:

I guess these will sit around until I can emitter swapā€¦ lol

I think it depends on your market. The SST20 still has its place and itā€™s a good strong emitter. Itā€™s mostly been fashionable over the last couple years to dog that one and the Samsung LH351D but they both are truly great emitters. Usually the tint (favorable to some or not) comes down to binning and it would appear that many of the models sold by at least a couple budget vendors were just choosing poor bins (or maybe thatā€™s all they could get, given the upheaval everywhere as the pandemic ramped up).

But that said, when the 519A was introduced a year ago, it sure made it easy to demand plenty of lumens and high CRI. Thereā€™s a good reason everyone has gone nuts for it. lol. Itā€™s more robust than what we typically see from Nichia in terms of heat and taking more current than the datasheet (we always do thatā€¦) but itā€™s still not quite as efficient or powerful as others. But the very nice quality of the light/color/tint makes that easy to forgive and it still gives plenty of lumens for singles, triples, quads, whatever.

Itā€™s been awhile but the SST20 Iā€™ve bought from Simon (bare emitters) had a nice neutral tint and if the good bins of LH351D are still available it can be an excellent emitter.

So all that said, the majority of people are not so concerned about color and tint - or they may know they like cold-cold white or something neutral, even warm now, but they might have never even heard of or considered tint. For mass market types they just want light when they need it. The rest of us care more (and those that are very picky about it are affectionately known as ā€œCRI Babiesā€ā€¦or tint snobs). Anywayā€¦canā€™t go wrong with the 519A for most things. Heā€™ll be introducing some models soon with the new flat 719A emitter, too, so I have a hunch those will be popular right away.

Consider the S21 single and triple, too (A/B and Eā€¦).

The really warm tints like 2700, 3000, maybe 3500 in that groupā€¦people usually love them when they try them but the more neutral range still rules the roost saleswise (4000-6000). Again, depends on your market, but if these high CRI or warmer temp lights might be iffy for sales, be sure you talk it up as to the benefits and enjoyments (and that wonā€™t be a lie!). :slight_smile:

Weird about the dutiesā€¦sorry you had that surprise, I know that makes it tougher to turn a dime. Site looks great, by the way, nice job.

1 Thank

If you have a smart charger you could test the capacity and internal resistance of a few batteries, so as to at least give buyers an idea of what to expect; if theyā€™re actually 3200mAh and have a decent IR theyā€™ll probably be fine at 5A, which is around what the most powerful driver outputs in a 519a/sst20 S2+.

The Vapcell chargers are decent. Nitecore and Xtar are better, but with a charger it doesnā€™t matter as much so long as it stops charging at the right voltage and is a reasonable current. One of the community favorites is the Xtar VC4SL, a cheaper/smaller alternative is the VC2SL, I use the Xtar VC8 as it has more charge slots. The good thing about these is they all have USB-C power input and have variable current. I donā€™t recommend the original Xtar power adapter, it is a generic PD3.0 power brick without even Xtar branding, it died pretty quickly.

I would go for 519a 5700k, with the option to be dedomed by you (for warranty reasons). It makes the emitters more throwy and also has the upside of reducing CCT and DUV, so it ends up at a rosy 4200k. Dedomed 5700k 519a is my favorite all purpose emitter because of having nice tint and good output.

lol, so what I hear is ā€œmake your own choice about the next set of emittersā€ :slight_smile:

Iā€™m going to go with 519 - 2700K for sure and that is my fav, and then I think Ill look at some more neutral options as well.

Also I got some Molicel P28A 18650 on the way (I believe) Working out the details now.

2 Thanks

Discounts continue
https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/120j13g/gadgetconnectionscom_discounts_continue_thank_you/

Hey yall,

www.gadgetconnections.com

Discount code - RedditGCS20

20% OFF the real Wuben pricing! As many items as you would like.

or

Buy a Wuben P26 White/UV light and get a FREE battery charger. (no code needed, just add both to your cart)

can not be combined with the 20% off

As some of you know I am a new site and working hard to get my name out there. Its just me, I am just one guy.

Sales have been pretty good so far thanks to Facebook and most importantly this Reddit community! I am located on the East coast of the U.S. and have a priority shipping options available.

As a thanks I wanted to offer 20% off ALL Wuben products.

If OLIGHT happens to be something you are more interested in message me. I can not advertise OLIGHT at any price other than their full price. Privately I am able to discuss options.

My whole angle here is to meet or beat anyoneā€™s price. So far I have been able to do that. I am just a message away.

Iā€™m going to be frank with you guys. I love Wuben and that is why it is the first brand I decided to carry. But the current promotion on their site is a jacked up price that is then discounted to full price to look like a deal. Iā€™m offering 20% OFF of their ā€œdiscountedā€ price for a limited time, just for us r/flashlight .

Check out my Blog and news updates where I offer an in depth dive into some of these lights.

I just got some Convoy S2+ in stock. Emitter options might be limited but, I have more trickling in as the days go on.

I have Molicel batteries on the way and also a little lesser know light that I think is REALLY cool (Will be here in the next week.)

My moto is simple: ā€œIf you are going to buy it, why not buy it from me?ā€

Grab that X1 Falcon that has been just a bit out of reach, or the cute X0 Knight or even my favorite the pocketable X2 Owl.

Even some exclusive items. Such as a EDC waterproof carry. Perfect for keys or matches, or anything else you do not want to get wet. It also has a pretty cool Gadget Connections logo laser engraved on the bottom, but maybe I am bias. :slight_smile:

The high CRI Wuben TO50R has proven to be popular also, and with 20% its a great value.

Anyway thanks for your time.

If you have any questions or want to discuss any of the deals or price matching, post here, Message me privately or message me right on the site (it comes right to my cell phone) :slight_smile:

Thanks guys and happy Friday!

2 Thanks

Alright guys. Pretty new to convoy here. Looking to place another order now. Been talking to Simon etc.

The question is:

S2+ what is the difference between the 4 mode and 12 group options?

And also what is the preference. I wanna assume the 12 mode is the answer but only because moaaarrr numbers. No real understanding.

Also working or spare parts and emitters. Etc.

Thanks guy!

4 mode has the preselected modes, 12 group (also called Biscotti) lets you choose between ā€œgroupsā€ of different modes, for people that want on/off or 1/20/50/100% or 100/50/20/1% or a maximum of 50%, and other uses. I recommend ordering the 12group option.

1 Thank

Thatā€™s something like what I kinda thought, but Iā€™m glad to hear it ā€œofficiallyā€

Thank you.

12-group contains the 4-mode as one of its groups, plus several other options. Seems like the majority of people end up choosing the 4-mode group anyway unless they want strobes for biking or whatever. It has not been Biscotti firmware for quite some time now, but itā€™s very similar - he had some unfortunate mistakes from his driver manufacturer that were causing issues and I think through that whole kerfluffle he ended up ditching Biscotti-proper (from Toykeeper) and his driver guy made pretty much the same thing from scratchā€¦sorta. I havenā€™t kept up but there were still some issues at times with the 12-group drivers. All of mine seem to be just fine so maybe he got all that taken care of alreadyā€¦the 4-mode stand alone driver never seemed to have any troubles that I can recall. Thatā€™s a lot of backstory that you donā€™t need to know reallyā€¦but as long as ā€œweā€ are sure the 12-group driver is a-ok these days, Iā€™d get them with that. People like choices even if itā€™s only the idea of having customization.

You may have heard that he announced that heā€™s officially got some Anduril drivers being made as we speak and people are going crazy over that. lol. Itā€™s been a long time comingā€¦nice surprise to see that behind the scenes he was making it happen without saying any more. That will only be on models that have a side e-switchā€¦no mechanical clicky switches (generally tail switches for most manufacturers). I donā€™t think heā€™s said what sizes of drivers he has coming (i.e. what models of lights will get them) and we donā€™t know anything more about the implementation (how the hardware and firmware play together, which is very important). Butā€¦people will buy them en masse when they hit the site, so you may consider trying to get in on that game as early as you canā€¦someone will always want to have it faster than aliexpress can deliver.

4 Thanks

Communication with Simon has been very hit or miss. I am looking for spares, and all I see are full host options. No way to order just a bunch of spring or O-rings. etc. Iā€™m still looking and hoping to hear from Simon, but it is slowing my ordering.

Here is what I am lookin at at the moment

1 Thank

For red, I would recommend going for SST-20 deep red (660nm), it is much redder looking than the red osram. Also if you can get narrowband green osram, it would be even better (CSLNM1.13) but Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s available.

Other than that, it looks great!

1 Thank

Thank you, yeah you are right. I have a SST-20 deep red from Hank and it is awesome! I will make that change. I love Simon, but there hasnā€™t been a whole lot of direction from him. Currently trying to figure out spare parts with out having to buy a while host, although I will if that is the only option.

Upon review I do not see either of those options available.

What light are you looking at? For the S2+, choose the SST-20-DR option on Convoy S2 + mit KR CSLNM 1,23 SST 20 DR rot licht|Taschenlampen| - AliExpress

You can order drivers and lenses by themselves from Simon, o-rings can be bought elsewhere as theyā€™re standard sizes.

Springs and switches usually donā€™t go bad, but you can probably order a few spare tailcap PCBs if you ask, as well as a few tailcaps modified to use a forward-clicky switch.

ā€¦ why can they all be like Hankā€™s site?