New site format

Yeah, I also understand the frustration which is why went looking for those tracking and watching list URLs initially. I just have them bookmarked for now. Maybe they can be added to the sidebar (below “Everything” and “My Posts”).

I have also since come to realize that I don’t really use those lists. I rarely need to see all my list of “tracking” (subscription) pages because unless they have replies to read then it’s not that useful. The Unread page essentially shows only your “subscriptions” (tracking/watching) that have replies and that’s good enough for me most times.

1 Thank

My browser ‘Pale Moon’ which is compliant is “not supported” even in compatibility mode. Wish webmasters would stop with this crap. Just send me the page, and if my browser can’t display it that is on me.

I love BLF, but my hate for the Chrome browser trumps it.

Hey there, great to see you here @DudeMan . You could probably set your Pale Moon user agent to a recent Firefox version and it will work. I don’t use Chrome or Chromium-based stuff on a regular basis either, and Discourse is tested to work well with the mainline Firefox, so I’m pretty sure that it will work with Pale Moon too if you make the user agent lie.

2 Thanks

Yes, I’m pretty sure I can add them. It requires a surprisingly complex block of code plus another block of CSS, and it’s a bit janky when the sidebar gets hidden/displayed when the browser window resizes, but basically it works. It’s because the sidebar is a new addition and they haven’t made it work very well yet with the normal Discourse customization methods.

Yes, @CollectEverything notice that the “Unread” tab (which corresponds to https://budgetlightforum.com/unread?order=activity ) appears automatically on the home page whenever you have unread posts waiting for you in your watched/tracked threads, and is otherwise hidden and doesn’t show any threads. So it doesn’t seem necessary to add an additional menu link for it.

1 Thank

I probably could. Thanks for that. :+1:t3: One problem is having to go into about:config to change it for future updates as well.
It’s stupid having to do these workarounds for what are in my opinion bad practices.

Again, I appreciate the help.

Sure, I understand that it’s frustrating, I’m not defending Discourse in this case.
Instead of changing the user agent globally in about:config it would be better to use an extension that lets you set it for specific domains.

1 Thank

I would like the option to have my landing page show all threads that I’m currently tracking/watching. I don’t want the page to be empty if no new replies are present. This is just a preference and not a deal-breaker but I thought I’d throw it out there since things are still being tweaked.

1 Thank

:smiley: Sorry, no offense intended to any specific mods!

1 Thank

None taken - the self-deprecating humor was deliberate.

1 Thank

Uh-huh. It always turned into an arms race between the PHP version that keeps increasing, and the latest version of Drupal 7 that is on life support (only security and major bug fixes) and only worked on a specific version of PHP. You all didn’t see a lot of ugly PHP errors, but with my admin account my BLF page was plastered with deprecation warnings and array errors and little bugs resulting from the kludged Drupal 7 support for a semi-modern PHP version that was still on security maintenance support. And this also limited my choice of OS for the server, as it needed to still support the version of PHP that Drupal 7 needed. Add to that the fact that the old BLF used a ton of piecemeal add-on frameworks for core functionality (again, Drupal has almost no features out-of-the-box), also written in PHP, which all got updated at different rates, and some not at all. The most beloved features of the old forum such as the community moderation system and the email notification system and even the Subscriptions page were all bespoke little snowflakes created with a graphical interface that got me about 90% of the way there, but still required blocks of raw PHP code for the last 10%. And those would break too between major Drupal version upgrades and/or major PHP version upgrades.

6 Thanks

I there way to embed videos into posts/replies? My old topics just have a link to the video and I don’t see an embed option.

Sorry if this was covered elsewhere in a recent topic, but I admit to having a slightly harder time staying on top of relevant threads with the new system; that will probably just come with a bit of time here though.

Here’s a random video from YouTube

All I did was post the YouTube “share” link:

https://youtu.be/J5V8nRz6Wig

This is the video link Yeah Bitch! Magnets! Jesse Pinkman Breaking Bad Season 5 Premiere - YouTube in a sentence

This is the video at the End of a sentence Yeah Bitch! Magnets! Jesse Pinkman Breaking Bad Season 5 Premiere - YouTube

This is the link via the chain-Icon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVDDxoKBk4

Video link in alone in a line, nothing else:

Between this and the PopCorners commercial, I feel its time to reinitiate a binge watch of BrBa.

Right, the easiest way is to just paste the link by itself on a new line. It can be the normal Youtube URL, doesn’t have to be the share link. Same goes for links to images too, they’ll be displayed if the link is by itself on a new line.

2 Thanks

Thanks for the clarification!
:+1:

Okay awesome, thanks! It seems the share link does not embed, I think that was my problem, I just used the normal YT link from the URL bar in the watch page and it worked great.

So far I’m liking the new layout, I do wish there were boxes around individual replies/posts to increase contrast and make it easier to read, at a glance everything kind of blurs together and is hard to seperate for me. I wish the timeline bar on the right also had distinct segments to mimic the old pages on BLF, it’s pretty imprecise with the unmarked line.

But those are just nitpicks, so far the new forum is working great!

2 Thanks

This is a good idea, hopefully I can try implementing it soon.

It should, maybe you didn’t put it on its own separate line?

https://youtu.be/8ei-SK0DO2c

becomes:

1 Thank

Ah I see, going back to my old posts it may have been an issue with the transfer and not adding the extra spaces, I opened them up to edit and the video embed worked. Thanks!

Great! And my apologies if it caused extra work for you. I tried to add exceptions to the migration code to make most of the previous Youtube links turn into watchable embedded videos, even some links that used to be just links now display the video. But I guess you win some and you lose some.

1 Thank