New site format

Check out my post from a few days ago:

The ā€œUnreadā€ tab appears on whenever there are unread posts, so thatā€™s at least fairly discoverable. What I would say is much closer or even analogous to the old ā€œMy subscriptionsā€ page are these:

Especially the first two are extremely useful and inexplicably obscure, to the point where I can only find like 1 reference to them in all of Discourse Meta. I only found about them thanks to @quahog somehow discovering them and posting them here.

Watching is basically the same as the old subscription, just need this link on the side bar

1 Thank

These are all the exact same page/list.

1 Thank

No offence but this seems to symbolize Discourseā€™s approach to software design :person_facepalming:

https://budgetlightforum.com/?state=tracking

This should actually be:

https://budgetlightforum.com/latest?state=tracking

Understood

No offense taken, Iā€™m not a Discourse apologist. Discourse got a lot of the fundamentals right, but they do need to improve some aspects. Fortunately itā€™s still flexible enough for the administrator to improve on most of those aspects. Drupal is simply and emphatically not viable anymore (I still need to make another entire post about this), and I am convinced that Discourse is the only viable option for our style of community-moderated forum without a bunch of power-tripping moderators roaming around 24/7.

Oops, thanks a lot. Corrected.

I get what you are saying, and if i recall correctly you had mentioned why Drupal was no longer viable from lack of updates to who knows when it get borked.
And i am not opposed to change or progress, but it needs to be better than what it replaced.
This software is just so disorganized and clunky, its a good exercise in how to do bad design. The irony is that it has a lot of good features but it screws up the fundamentals.
I am curious why you didnā€™t consider Xenforo or phpBB, i visit forums that use them and they work a lot better than Discourse.
Someone in another thread mentioned Redflagdeals, it uses phpBB and it works well. Lacks some Discourse features but the design is not clunky and confusing.

Xenforo because itā€™s proprietary, phpBB because it used to have a very poor track record with security in the past, and also because itā€™s a disorganized mess on the backend that requires tons of community plugins for basic functionality, just like the situation we were in with Drupal. And most importantly, neither Xenforo nor phpBB allow for automatic actions against inappropriate or spam posts based on flags by other community members.

1 Thank

:frowning: quote=ā€œsb56637, post:151, topic:216622, full:trueā€]

Xenforo because itā€™s proprietary, phpBB because it used to have a very poor track record with security in the past, and also because itā€™s a disorganized mess on the backend that requires tons of community plugins for basic functionality, just like the situation we were in with Drupal. And most importantly, neither Xenforo nor phpBB allow for automatic actions against inappropriate or spam posts based on flags by other community members.
[/quote]

Damn.
It seems forum software is languishing as everyone uses twitter or reddit or facebook :frowning:

1 Thank

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head. Discourse is really the only new blood in this field. Although I didnā€™t choose it just because itā€™s new, as Iā€™m normally quite conservative with software preferences. But fundamentally Discourse was developed from the ground up by people that understand the challenges of the modern internet, specifically relating to sneaky spamming methods and malicious trolls. Themes and appearances can be tweaked by the admin in any forum, but core functionality like what I mentioned is extremely hard to implement and even harder to get right. It should be noted that Drupal had almost no functionality out-of-the-box; the Spam and Report buttons and their respective algorithms, the email notification system, and even the Subscriptions system were all bespoke creations that took an inordinate amount of time to get right.

5 Thanks

Damn.
Perhaps Drupal should have hired you (and @ToyKeeper ) as programmers to design and update the core software :slight_smile:

Drupal is written in PHP, which is one of the worst-designed programming languages ever. The Drupal devs did an admirable job of compensating for that, but when the tools just arenā€™t good at what you want them to do, sometimes itā€™s better to give up and find different tools. Building and maintaining a modern web application in PHP is like squeezing blood from a stone.

Of course, I could complain about Ruby too, which is what Discourse usesā€¦ but despite its issues, itā€™s still dramatically better than PHP.

All programming languages have ā€œwartsā€, so to speakā€¦ details and little design flaws which cause problems if you happen to trip over one. But PHP is different. Instead of having warts, it basically is one. Rather than listing whatā€™s wrong with it, like most languages, with PHP it would be easier to list the things which arenā€™t wrong with it. Itā€™s just fundamentally broken at a deep level.

And eventually this broken foundation led to the end of BLFā€™s old forum platform.

3 Thanks

Egads :sob:

It would be great if it could be set as a landing/home page in settings too.

You can set ā€œUnreadā€ as your default home page:
Preferences ā†’ Interface ā†’ Default Home Page ā†’ Unread

2 Thanks

Hey! As a power-tripping mod on another non-Discourse forum I ā€¦ mostly agree. The utility of the mod is mostly to deal with the lack of what became flagging automation in Discourse.

And as a mod on yet another Discourse forum, the main role of mods is housekeeping and dealing with things that flagging canā€™t handle - or high trust users canā€™t/wonā€™t handle.

Aye. Those require no server architecture nor software maintenance by the administrators. Downside of course as the product youā€™re at the whims of the platformā€™s interests in appeasing the customer.

Thatā€™s been my observation as well. The UI and general automation has made some decisions that one may dislike at first but are clearly borne out of long hard-won experience about how the real world works as well as some hard-coding of the project teamā€™s philosophy.

1 Thank

I admit that I did not investigate the link and just assumed its contents. :man_facepalming:

What Iā€™m looking for is the option to set a subscription page as my landing page. Iā€™ve seen the links posted to what is essentially a subscription page but that one isnā€™t available to be selected as a landing page.

Essentially I would like the landing page to show all of my tracked/watched threads, not just one the ones with new replies or edits.

1 Thank