New Skyray 3*T6 at Manafont, model 818

Congrats......I'm glad the light actual works.

@spambot: WOOHOO! Congrats on the working light!

@picrthis: I guess Manafont have realized these lights don't last much past 3 days? I wonder if the 3 days starts when they ship the product?

That's really generous of Manafont. First class customer service. I see they are a team player now, willing to jump through hoops to satisfy their customers, sparing no expense for service after the sale...

...already crossed them off my list for future purchases.

SPAMBOT, can you take a picture of the front of the light, ie the reflector and LEDs?

Don't have a camera right now, but what is it that you want to know about it? The LED's are well focused, they "fill" the whole reflector reflection when viewed from the front. The diameter of the reflector "parts" is 25mm 26mm each. It uses a screw-in type module and has visible PWM on lower modes.

edit: forgot to zero calipers

I want to see the size of the reflectors. No worries, just take a picture if you happen to have a cam....even a handphone cam is nice.

They are slightly larger than P60 reflectors and about as deep.

Yeah, I think everyone gets that moment when they turn on their 3xml the first time. Literally lights up a room like a high power lamp.

Can you check if like the 3800's the draw actually scales up with voltage decline?

Thanks. I'm actually quite itchy to get this. This might throw well and with the 2.8 amp draw, it might throw better than DRY Direct draw. That has a 57mm head and this 64mm. DRY has 30k cd of throw. More if cold countries.

What color did you get?

It does, it hits 5A at ~5V so I think that protected cells is a must.

I live in a cold country! xD

Sorry, I didn't notice before. I got a black one, emitter color is a really cold white with a hint of blue, no purple though.

I received the 818 today. Unfortunately I don't have any suitable (high current) batteries but i managed to measure 3,5A from used red Surefires. Can't tell what modes it has as it usually just flashes before current protection kicks in. Proper batteries should arrive any time now but at least I know it's not the 1,7A version.
Light unfortunately isn't waterproof. I could easily suck the air through battery tube and hear hissing at the head. I used the same method on tailcap and found out that tail cap also isn't waterproof. I then replaced the very thin outer seal on the bezel with a regular one and the head now seems fine. I'll have to find a thicker seal for tail too.
I also have Trustfire 3xXML (ordered for a friend) and will do a comparison when batteries arrive.

EDIT

The battery voltage is 3,85 and current draw in middle mode is 3,5A (I figured out got the 5 mode version)

Good to see that I'm not the only one with 3.5A driver... even if he died :/ wish you more luck

@spambot

How many modes does your SR 850 have and does it have the logo & model printed on the body's tube?

5 and yes and yes, it also has that horrendous 4300 lumen claim laser engraved... Very nice light apart from that. It does however produce a somewhat triangular spill beam, a clover leaf pattern if you will.

Interesting, my 850 has 3-modes and no printing on it anywhere.

I am very jealous, I hate the printing and the blinky modes...

How is the current draw on high?

Is the PWM noticeable on your version?

Actually it does have blinky...it's High, Low, Blinky (3-modes) PWM is barely noticeable, you really have to look for it. Just goes to show that MF does NOT "QC" their lights no matter how stickers they put on the package (4 of those QC's stickers on package) and besides it's not QC, it's QA.

The vendor can't QC because they didn't make the light, they can however test the light to be sure it meets the published spec; that's QA. Guess they can't tell the difference between 3-mode & 5-mode and NO printing on the lights tube like in the picture, BUT it still passed "QC" 4 times and was shipped out anyway, I'd fire some people if I was them.

My DMM is out on loan right now, so I can't test current for you....I'm very happy, Dare I say it?? This light works out of the package, unlike the 818.

Since my 818 only seems to pull around 1.78A at the tailcap, I'm considering some IMR 18350s and dedicating it for use as a "shorty". Has anyone verified that it will work with 18350s?

is it just me that cant belive people are still gambling with the sky rays ?

i wonder why people dont like trying the TR-3T6 constant current buck plus bost driver with a good screw in that will handle long run times.

you can buy spare driver if needed but you should not need it Triple T6 Cree Circuit Board Driver you can use the cail cap switch, bezel, glass lense, o-rings and extention tube from the TR-1200 if you damage the light externaly

there is two modles

TrustFire TR-3T6 Triple XM-L T6 5-Modes Memory LED Flashlight (3x18650)

TrustFire TR-3T6 Triple XM-L T6 5 Modes LED Flashlight (2x18650)

you can run the light for 60 min's no worries but it might be a tad less bright but should give you longer run times

there is a thread here

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/3304

@benckie, Manafont has discontinued the drop-in version (3800), after many failures, and has stated they only have a 3 day warranty. My 818 came DOA, my 3800 died in two days, after conservative runtimes on high.

I fixed my 818 (open solder connection on + battery wafer), but it only pulls 1.78A at the tailcap on high, and the beam is quite purple, all modes. The driver is 5-mode, instead of what was advertised. The flaccid output of this light follows the low tailcap current.

Others may do what they like, it's their money, but based on my experience with two skyray flashlights from them, and their customer servce (lack theref), I won't be buying any more.

I'm sure there are glowing reviews on the skyrays I purchased, but I'm done. I really wanted to like the skyrays, too.

Buyer beware!

P.S. @benckie, you really seem to be pushing the trustfire brand very hard? Are their lights really that much better than all the other el-cheapo lights we buy from China? I will say that the skyray lights I do have, have very heavy host bodies. Impressive hosts, actually. The STL-V6 I have, is very lightweight, which is good for me, as the light serves as a gun light, for my marauder. At first, I was put-off at the lightweight host. It feels "cheap".

Manafont has put a disclaimer "not recommended to run on high for longtime" on the two lights you linked. It would seem they got burned (as well as customers) on the skyray 3800 failures. Truth of the matter is, the driver for the 3800 drop-in, can't cope with the extreme heat, due to poor heat conduction. Long runtimes didn't cause most of the 3800 drop-in failures. Poor engineering did. I could only run mine 10 minutes max, before the host became too hot to hold comfortably.