New WildTrail (former LuckSun) BLF-D80v2 Sale is open.

It probably won’t work. If I understand correctly, this driver doesn’t have an OTC, which Bistro requires.

But it sounds like that’s moot now since you’ve replaced all the guts anyway. :slight_smile:

Right, when I flashed the new driver with the old Bistro there was no FET involved, the light would only pull about 1.7A at the tail. So I built a new driver the old way. And because I used spring bypasses and allowed too much current, frying the SST-40, I turned to an 3V 50.2 which pulled too much current for the standard Bistro to deliver, it bumped to moon at level 6 of 7… so I did the power fix and now it works fine, pulling in excess of 13A from a Molicel 18650. I will bore the battery tube and use an LG 20650. :wink:

This all turned into a challenge but of course that’s the part I like about modding. I had recently gotten new boards from OshPark in the 20mm size laid out by Wight long ago. As it turns out, they are made for 20mm but are larger and had to be resized quite a bit to fit into the D80. This left some of the components at the very edge of the board and I modified the shelf in the driver bay to accept this driver. Ultimately it worked out, but it sure wasn’t an easy fix. I do tend to go at things the hard way though, to be sure.

Edit: I also tend to see what I want to see… when I ordered the boards I was buying keys for the Emisar D4V2 and didn’t pay attention apparently, I thought I saw an A2 20mm Direct Drive board, but it is actually A22DD, or 22mm . Duh! :person_facepalming:

A lot of skill and lot of patience…

I received my light today (28 Aug). Yaaaaayyy! My order was finalized on the 11th. A fairly good turnaround. I'm looking forward to darkness so I can play with it. I've got my best throwers lined up ready to do some comparison illumination.

First impressions (daylight) are very favorable. A few little scratches on the head and tail but I need to look very closely to see them. The battery tube has the machining thingies (what are those extra little bits called, chads?) I've seen on others photos. The battery tube is very grippy but not uncomfortably sharp. I am very satisfied. A big thank you to TheOnlyDoc and everybody else involved in making this light a reality.

Do you think you had a bad reflow? Or the fact that you changed the Fet burnt out the SST40?

Mine has spring bypasses and is okay? Is this the first one you have killed like this?

Just received mine, very nice. Anyone have a good source for some lanyards for these.

Yesterday I received my No-Ano.

The termination is a bit rude but nothing that cannot be improved with a little manual labor.

Conclusion: I got a good specimen.

In a few days I will order a black.

I just pushed too hard, the driver is triple channel and I tried flashing a dual channel firmware… didn’t work. Built a new driver with a little better MOSFET and it was fine but then heavy gauge spring bypasses just took it too far with a hot cell. Yup, done it before but thought I had a little more headroom than I did. And so it goes… or as Justin always said, It is what it is!

I received my BLF-D80v2 today.

I'm glad I got the regular anodized version.

My flashlight doesn't seem to have any issues.

It did take a while to get here, but it was worth the wait.

I‘m happy with my BLF D80 V2, too. Except for some minor residual marks from machining on the battery tube‘s knurling I didn’t find anything to complain about. The reflector is clean without any signs of dust in it. The SST-40 is perfectly centered.

Dale, what does the beam look like with the 50.2? About the same with just more intensity?

Also, I just need to say this light is really good. I love the look.

Just received my no ano SST unit - nearly perfect body tube machining.
This is THE best tactile grip I’ve had in hand. I really like the square knurling.
The head looks & feels polished right outta the box.
Nice click switch - great tint, love the light saber beam.
I’m quite pleased, this is quality.
Now to get the matte black …

Yeah, the reflector still works well with the 50.2 it’s just a bit larger hot spot due to the larger die surface, hot spot isn’t as clean either. Cree and it’s flip chip tech mostly.

I second this!

I would add that the tint is nice and neutral.

I ordered the first few hours of the announcement and still haven’t received it yet. I was about to inquire on Ali and just saw that Tracking finally shows up. The light arrived in my country, USA, on August 17, and just cleared custom . What’s up with customs these days taking so much longer then they used to? Sigh.

it may have something to do with the “trade war”

Look up International Bridge ( https://www.myib.com/trackpackage ) use the tracking number provided by AE. There will be another number that is the USPS tracking number, although, it's not labeled as such. Our packages arrive in the US in Hawaii. Then to Los Angeles and get shipped to your refional hub from Compton. Mine is Houston. I had a strange experience when I called IB. Their CSRs may answer from home. But, the info she gave me turned out to be good. The light showed up a week later, or so. The only detailed info I found was on the IB site concerning shipping. DHL brought it from Compton, then USPS brought it from Houston. The LuckySun box was rewrapped and labeled as if it originated in the US.

We still have a few No Ano Lights left. If someone is interested he can directly buy the lights from the AE Store for 27,70$.
No mail or price adjustment needed. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000072461848.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.538044377uP0eM

Cool! (but personally I like the anodised D80 better).

Do you have an idea if sales are going well and that WildTrail does not regret the cooperation with you and BLF?

I certainly hope that is the case.