New XP-L High Intensity Emitter

That IS interesting as XPL HI V2 bin equals XPG2 S4 bin at max recommended current for XPG2. Above 1.5Amp it could be different but we’ve seen djozz’s testing of XPG2 at high currents and it performed pretty good up to 5-6Amps.

I mean, there is no reason for us to doubt Cree’s datasheets with latest way of binning LEDs, with 85C minimum lux promises. Right? Both newer XPG2 and XPL HI PDFs have those specs nicely setup for comparison side by side.

And also, if (again) I didn’t mix something, XPG2 seems to have lower Vf which would allow it to see more current in FET setups.

DBCstm, your builds are crazy bright, that’s for sure. And I believe if you say it’s BRIGHTER with XPL HI than stock XPG2. But… HOW? lol

I mean we’re humans, we want logical explanation for stuff, right?

Right, me too… I don’t get it, but of course I’m pleased with it.

According to Hikelite and ryansoh, my measurements at the mcpcb both in amperage and voltage indicate each emitter is drawing 2.1A at ~3.3Vf. That shouldn’t be enough to make 1000 lumens, and it’d take a little over 1000 from each of the 12 to do that reading. While I don’t understand what’s happening there, the light IS exceptionally bright and makes a lot of heat… fast.

At any rate, the new XP-L HI fits under Carclo 10507 optics beautifully and has a nice white tint, exceptional output and is a win win all around. Well, I got 51.5Kcd so maybe it doesn’t have the throw that Richard experienced with his de-domed version.

In my FET builds so far, even a de-domed triple XP-L puts out quite a bit more light than a high-bin XP-G2 triple. The difference is enough that I can measure lumens for a XP-G2 triple but a XP-L triple blows out my light box.

So, there’s what the data sheet says… and then there’s what we observe in actual practice. They’re not the same.

I don’t really care much about throw; I just wanted as much light as possible from this pure-copper host. In other triple hosts, where I don’t care as much about maximum lumens, I use XP-G2 or Nichia 219.

As for triples, half the reason I like them is because the 10508 optics produce a much nicer flood beam than a reflector can, even with DC-Fix on the lens. I might change my mind if I can get a good source of frosted lenses, but that hasn’t happened yet. I don’t use the full output much, but it’s nice to have available and the beam is nearly perfect for floody use.

Throwing some photos here for your viewing pleasure:

I just received package from Richard containing my 2x XPL-HI Noctigon triples with the Carlco optics. The optics are a perfect fit with the emitters:

Thanks! Very nice.

Wow, nice solder job on the jumpers!

Mjammie!

http://intl-outdoor.com/cree-xpl-high-intensity-v3-2b-bare-led-preorder-p-881.html

Dang - hate this! You ask for something and you get it, now you have to pay for it... Smile A V3 HI at this price - not bad. Just afraid by the time it's stocked, V4's and V5's will be out and RMM will have them...

V2 is the highest bin the in datasheets and V3 is the highest on CREE PTC, so no V4 and V5 for XP-L HI.

who here is waiting for RMM to offer this on a 16 & 20mm to noctigon?

For what it’s worth…

I made two identical test setups (same reflector, GREAT heatsinking, same lens, same cells 25R’s used, both direct driven and same wires/contact board used - both on Noctigon 20mm) so the only difference is LED used in both…

One had XPL HI U5 5000K (Mouser) and other had XPG2 S3 5C1 4000K (Cutter)… no special setup while measuring, just made a rig to measure from about 1m away to $20 lux meter…

XPL HI U5 was showing 20% more lux over XPG2 S3 when McClicky was installed in both flashlights… it raised to 25% difference when modified Judco 10Amp switch was used… so overall - a perceivable difference…

I’m not an expert and I’m not sure if I’m missing something during testing… I know this is not overall brightness difference, it’s merely difference in lux/throw but hotspots seemed about the same size so output should reflect the difference linearly…

All in all, I’m impressed enough… so I made an order of KD version of the emitter as I love 1C for cool white…

I know few members posted already but how sure we’re about KD’s tint, that it’s indeed 1C instead of 0B like the label could also be read ??? That would suck as I ordered extra to try to get better Vf match for triple/quad setup…

EDIT:
Sorry, sorry… so I took a look at Intl.Outdoors XPL HD bins and they seem to reflect that same part of sequence as tint so - it should be 1C… whew… I did see that Intl.Outdoors will have V3 2B next week but that tint is too green compared to 1C to my eyes…

would love to see the beam pattern, is that the 10507 Carclo?

Thanks for the head’s up finges, I just placed a pre-order for 10 of those emitters and went ahead and got some springs and centering rings while I was at it. :wink:

Wouldn’t have known about em, seldom check at Intl-Outdoor unless I’m specifically looking for something Richard doesn’t have.

+1 - should have said it before, same here, thanx finges! I put in a pre-order for 5.

HikeLite - I wouldn't count out higher bins from CREE - they've done exactly that: releasing bins not in their own docs. I don't see U3's or U4's in their 2015 updated spec on XM-L2's: http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20Modules/XLamp/Data%20and%20Binning/XLampXMBL.pdf

Yup. I’m definitely going to have to upgrade again in a year or two. Today I’m upgrading my Cypreus from a triple XP-L V6 2C de-domed to an XP-L HI U5 5000K, mostly for tint reasons. And it sounds like there will eventually be much higher bins (V3 already!), so I’d imagine there will be a nice upgrade to do next year. If I did the math right, going up by 5 bins could increase output by up to 40%, meaning the overall output for a triple might go from like 3300 to 4600 lumens.

But for now I’ll just be happy to get white light instead of sickly yellow, even if it means a slight drop in lumens (V6 de-domed should still be brighter than U5).

And i believe the XP-G2 S4 flux bin is also one of those.

I too like the white to warm tints. I decided to try the HI U4 E5 from Mouser for one of my upgrades - an old-school aleph-engined light. These lights are not known for brightness (or heat management for that matter.) The driver is one of Richard’s BLF MTNDD10. It certainly makes a whole new light out of the old Aleph.

And for the record, naked lights look just fine! These are not Titanium. Just raw Al.

Edit: TK, did I read elsewhere that you bought several L3 Illumination L10? These have a small dimensioned driver that fits in the Aleph can. Let me know if you ever decide to part with one….that L10 UI looks attractive. And <13mm drivers are hard to find!

Yup, but it will be a bit before there's a beam pattern. I don't have any high-current cells yet, and I don't want to build a light that won't be up to its full potential...

So. The mod is complete, and I figured out a way to measure lumens. Simple thing, really. My light box needed sunglasses!

Things didn’t go quite as planned though… I had been hoping to pick up a neutral density filter at a local shop so I could measure brighter lights. But the last camera / photography shop closed a few years ago. I tried searching at chain stores, but none carry them locally. So I used a tinted drinking glass. … I’ll find something better later, but this will have to do for now.

Before the mod, I measured about 3120 to 3200 lumens from a de-domed XP-L V6 2C triple powered by a BLFDD17 1.0. After the mod, I measured about 3050 lumens from a stock XP-L U5 5000K triple powered by wight’s A17DD-L (FET+1). Tint went from about 4000K to 5000K, and the insides of my light are a lot cleaner now. Both measurements used the same 25R cell off the charger, and represent peak output (not ANSI 30-second measure).

The main point here is… switching from a de-domed V6 to a domeless XP-L HI U5 resulted in about 95% as much output. So, if each bin is about 7% increase, the V3 bin should be around 16% brighter than a de-domed V6.

I think.

My measurements could also be way off, considering I used a tinted drinking glass and didn’t do ANSI-style measurements. But at least I didn’t lose much output.