Newbie here - is this flashlight a great deal?

I’m new here and was posting questions about the mini maglite pro I was thinking of getting / what else is out there for low cost, etc.

I’m looking for a small flashlight that runs on AA or AAA (I have loads of those in alkaline so I don’t mind having to change those) and is really bright.

People were making a bunch of suggestions in the $14 - $20 - $30 range and I was spending way too much time debating these in my head : )

Today at Costco, I saw this 4 pack of 3xAAA duracell flashlights. the package says 350 lumens. that’s with their AAA batteries I would think, rather than the 14500 that some flashlights use to come up with really high lumens ratings. 4 of these in the pack for…. $16?! $4 / flashlight… this IS the BUDGETLightForum.

Anyone care to play devils advocate?

From what little I know from reading posts here:

pros
cheap
bright
uses AAA
Comes from costco so if there’s ever a problem, they’ll take them back, but at $4 each, not a big deal
doesn’t roll
aluminum body

cons
you have to step through Hi-low-strobe-off on the tail button
bigger than the harbor freight / promotional 9 LED flashlights I used to think were really bright

I took some pictures and was trying to see how to post them, then went to the costco site to use their pictures… and saw the reviews?! I guess i have my answer : (

http://www.costco.com/Duracell-LED-Flashlight-350-Lumens%2C-4-pack.product.100320474.html

I don’t really care much for those. I prefer a parabolic reflector or TIR optic over zoomy optics. I prefer 1AA or 2AA format over multi AAA in a caddy.

I’d rather have one light (even if it costs more) that meets my preferences. More of the wrong thing doesn’t make it better… its still the wrong thing. Making it cheaper doesn’t alleviate anything either.

For the same price I can get a light like this that perfectly matches my needs and preferences.

my .02

thanks. the battery config you describe is what I’m looking for optimally. Don’t know much about the other things you mention. what lights do you like that fit your bill?

Cheap buy them. They are good for the price.

If the duracell flashlights appeal to you and they will be useful for you buy them. If you think you need or want a higher quality flashlight keep looking. Members of blf can suggest single AAA, AA, 14500, 18650 powered flashlights that are higher quality for $20.00 or less. You must decide what you want.

Thanks! My wish list if you care to make a recommendation:

AA or AAA (1 or 2 if it doesn’t get too big)
bright (300+ lumens but I’ll gladly take more) with alkaline batteries
good quality / reliable
$20 or less

Sure… As a boy scout troop leader for my son and his buddies my preferences are geared towards outdoor usage. So things like simplicity, light weight, compact size and reliability all factor into it primarily. These lights do double duty at home too though.

Thrunite TH20 is my main light and headlamps for me get a LOT of use at home and outdoors. Hands free lighting is just so convenient. I usually just hang it around my neck. I run it with eneloops, or 14500 Lithium ion. This light recently replaced a ~6 year old Zebralight headlamp.

4Sevens Quark AA-T is an oldie but a goodie for me. I have had it for several years and am really not in any hurry to replace it. I run it with eneloops, or 14500 Lithium ion as well.

The Fenix E35UE is my main 18650 light. I use it mainly for car camping and shorter backpacking trips less than ~5 miles where weight is less of a concern. The ~850 floody Lumens is a very nice luxury. But 8/10 times this light gets left at home. The TH20 and 4Sevens are more than sufficient. Too much light actually blinds everyone and screws their night vision. Love the simplicity of the 1AA form factor though.

Good Luck in your search!! The hard and fun part is figuring out your own preferences, likes and dislikes!!

They are decent for the price. Ive given Costco lights as gifts before and have never been disappointed. Looks like Pros out weigh the Cons.

thanks but I’m looking for something with a lot of light using alkalines. Not looking for rechargables or 14500, which is what they usually use to mention really high lumens. Yes, you’l get more light with the 14500, but for now I’d like lots of light with alkalines.

GI - did you see the reviews on that costco link? most throw these lights under the bus :frowning:

Its worth the price, and they are probably okay quality.
It comes down to how bright, how many batteries and how often used. AAA batteries give low runtime and lose brightness quickly (alkaline), and get expensive quickly. Rechargeable AAAs can be substituted and will maintain brightness longer, but keep in mind 3AAA has as much juice as 1AA.
These lights are hopefully decent quality, low quality lights will die in a few weeks to months of heavy use. If you use them daily and put many hours on them low quality lights start failing, the switches don’t work, the circuity malfunctions, the threads and body warp or wear, the reflectors or glass get loose or break etc. Hopefully Duracell is decent to good quality

AA or lithium ion (learning curve and dangerous explosion risk if mishandled) can give more brightness, but cost more, you want rechargeable in either li ion or AA which is more cost and you don’t want to loan them to anyone because of explosion risk and money invested. They are typically flashlight enthusiast lights with a learning curve and are much more fun

3 AAA = 1 AA?! didn’t know that. thanks!

So for that - 1 AA takes up less space than 3 AAA, what would you recommend for 1 or 2 AA, under $20, lots of light with Alkalines?

FWIW… I have last years Duracell costco lights the ones with half orange peel reflector. For no apparent reason one of the 3 just up and quit working. Something in the tailcap switch just quit. I never use these lights. I just pulled it out of the drawer the other day to play around with it and its dead…??? strange. They all worked fine last year.

It doesn’t work like this, LED chips need about 3V, so 3AAA is already over 3V. To use 1AA required more expensive boost circuitry and is harder on the battery. It is certainly available, but think $50-100 each instead of 4 for 15.99
4AA batteries are great for some high power lights, there are some like the Starry light and EA4 and others that can get as bright as a car headlight with 4AA (preferably eneloop rechargeable batteries).
Now don’t buy the starry light ($25) or EA4 ($75), the starry light uses a plastic body that wears out the threads and the EA4 has poor heatsinking, but they are examples of excellent output lights, i don’t know other models well enough to recommend one, though i have one on order, and check BLF reviews for any light your considering

This is a very nice double A flashlight:

Just ask freeme for the code. It is a little more than you want to spend but is worth every penny.

Look at this blf user list:M4D M4X deals - Astrolux WP1 and WP2 LEP
You might find something different that is a little less in price.

Jetbeam-1 MK is a fine single AA flashlight. Output is around 135 lumens. I own a few.

+1 for Jetbeam. Some don’t like the twisty, but it makes for a very reliable light AND cheap. I’ve seen them for little over $10 delivered. All day long at $13.99. When they go on sale, I stock up and gift them to friends.

Also look might look at Klarus Mi7 (even though mine was a dud). 330 lumens on high with AA (NiMH, if I’m not mistaken, to take advantage of higher current output). Decent output from a single AA alkaline. 3 output levels, strobe SOS beacon, battery level check, electronic lockout, metal side switch. Instant access to high, low and strobe. And should you opt for 14500s in the future, output ramps up to around 700 lumens. I think Martin (M4D M4X (sorry if I butchered your name)) has a discount code that gets it close to your budget and they now include a clip! Despite my dud, I like the light enough to buy another. Besides, the parasitic drain I’m experiencing is easily nullified using physical lockout.

I like that the Klarus and the Jetbeam offer you the flexibility of dual power sources. I think with a 14500, the Jetbeam is around 500 lumen.

I personally prefer to NOT run alkalines for long term because eventually one will always leak on you and when it does, chances are your flashlight is toast. Because of the low cost of the Jetbeam, I use them to burn through all of the questionable capacity AA’s I find littered through out my house in various junk drawers at differing levels of discharge. Throw a couple in a holder in my pocket for when my current one runs dry.

Second reason I (and most in here, if I’m not mistaken) prefer NiMH (other than keeping crap out of landfills) is because you’ll get more lumens out of your light with them. While their output voltage is lower, quality cells (even not so quality cells) put out more current. Of course if you are totally against using NiMHs, alkalines, especially in AA form, are very ubiquitous.

If you don’t mind pink and if they still have them, Xtar was selling out their WK50 lights for $7 on ebay. Clicky tail switch, memory, 4 levels and did I mention $7? Ugly as sin, too so there’s the added advantage of people NOT having any motivation whatsoever to steal your light. lol

I’ve had many 3xAAA lights in my day. Virtually all of them eventually had a battery leak in them. Finally, one of the most important reasons I opt for single AA powered lights is because then you only need a single battery to power them. That goes a long way towards keeping me functional.

I agree with Mkduffer. +1 and a :beer:

Lumintop Worm 4

Extremely exspensive 3 aaa cell flashlight. Just take a look for fun.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1013999391/moonlight-0?ref=nav_search