Newbie - PLEASE HELP! Trying to choose a thrower less than $50

kr1 is 50 bucks, if thats out of your budget, ft03 is pretty much your own option

Correction. I was thinking the KR1 was the K1.

“Someone”… hmph!

The L2 was the default thrower-of-choice for quite some time. Comes with an extension tube so it’d take 1 or 2 26650s. Nice pencil-beam that’s got some great reach. The L6 was a brute-force light, like a shotgun, but the L2 was a rifle.

I don’t “collect” throwers, as I rarely if ever actually need one (someone who lives out in the sticks who needs to see what’s prowling around at the treeline probably would, though), so I don’t have a bunch of lights to compare with the L2. Most times for me a P30 or GTmini suffices.

Oh, and to restate, just kicking up the brightness to increase the intensity of the hotspot also increases the intensity of the spill. Again, you don’t want to wash out the ground in front of you and be blinded by that, and have to squint to see what’s downrange.

If you really want a no-spill thrower to put all the light on the hotspot, you’re confined to either a zoomie (low efficiency) or a LEP (pricey).

Lol! Sorry Lightbringer. I was on a mobile and have difficulty navigating back on it. Thanks for your help.

Just yanking yer chain…

See my addendum to the same post.

Just showed up, perfect example of what I was referring to…

Nb how much brighter the foreground is, relative to the hotspot downstream.

Exactly

Great point. I hadn’t thought of that either, but it definitely does have a big effect on seeing the longer distances.

I like the Bender avatar. Brings me back to the 80’s (my high school/college days).

One guy that was around here for a while was actually attaching what looked like exhaust tips to the business-end of his lights.

Admittedly, looked kinda ridiculous but did act as kind of a light-choke. Would have to make sure the inside is painted flat black, else it’d just throw weird artifacts from random reflections.

Could try it with, say, a toilet-paper tube to see the effect, as long as the head of the light fits inside it.

sounds like some lightweight pvc might work.

Check out some of our throwers on our site at brightlumenshop.com

When looking at a Convoy C8+ with luminus sst40 online, they have the following options: ramping driver, 4 modes, 12 groups. I have no idea what these mean. Can someone please explain and offer any suggestions? i’m assuming this might have something to do with the ability to program it? i’m just wanting the basics, low, medium, high, and turbo.

Thanks

Ramping, says it all

4 modes, says it all

12 groups means 12 different groups of modes

Unfortunately, my ignorance of lights over rides what might seem apparent!

Ramping, says it all - I don’t know what this means, but believe it ramps up in brightness with each click? Or do you hold the button down and it gradually increases in brightness until you stop?

4 modes, says it all - I’m assuming this means something like low, med, hi, turbo?

“Ramping” means hold the side-clicky to smoothly ramp up the brightness if in ramping mode. Click/release/clickhold then would ramp down.

“4 modes” likely means 4 stepped modes of low/med/high/”turbo”. Just click-click-click to step through them if in stepped mode.

“12 modegroups” sounds like bistro, you click like Hell to get into programming mode, then you can set it to 1 of 12 modegroups. Default modegroup would be the aforementioned 4-modes, but you could select another, eg, 100-only 1-mode, 30%/100 for 2 modes, etc.

Just speaking in general terms, as I ain’t got a C8+.

Thanks!

Don’t know if this will help anyone. Comparison of some throwy style lights and how the beam profiles compare:

Helps me. Thanks for posting this.

In addition to the Astrolux FT03 (XHP50.2), I ordered 2 more lights from mohrlumens (US based). I bought a Convoy L21A with Osram KW.CULPM1.TG and a Convoy M21A SST40 5000k 12 Group. I ordered both last Friday afternoon and received both Tuesday afternoon. I bought batteries from IMR batteries yesterday and received them today (they are officed locally). Waiting for my charger to arrive from amazon.

Let us know what you think of each.

My L21A is coming from China, so probably a while off still.