Newbie - PLEASE HELP! Trying to choose a thrower less than $50

Exactly

Great point. I hadn’t thought of that either, but it definitely does have a big effect on seeing the longer distances.

I like the Bender avatar. Brings me back to the 80’s (my high school/college days).

One guy that was around here for a while was actually attaching what looked like exhaust tips to the business-end of his lights.

Admittedly, looked kinda ridiculous but did act as kind of a light-choke. Would have to make sure the inside is painted flat black, else it’d just throw weird artifacts from random reflections.

Could try it with, say, a toilet-paper tube to see the effect, as long as the head of the light fits inside it.

sounds like some lightweight pvc might work.

Check out some of our throwers on our site at brightlumenshop.com

When looking at a Convoy C8+ with luminus sst40 online, they have the following options: ramping driver, 4 modes, 12 groups. I have no idea what these mean. Can someone please explain and offer any suggestions? i’m assuming this might have something to do with the ability to program it? i’m just wanting the basics, low, medium, high, and turbo.

Thanks

Ramping, says it all

4 modes, says it all

12 groups means 12 different groups of modes

Unfortunately, my ignorance of lights over rides what might seem apparent!

Ramping, says it all - I don’t know what this means, but believe it ramps up in brightness with each click? Or do you hold the button down and it gradually increases in brightness until you stop?

4 modes, says it all - I’m assuming this means something like low, med, hi, turbo?

“Ramping” means hold the side-clicky to smoothly ramp up the brightness if in ramping mode. Click/release/clickhold then would ramp down.

“4 modes” likely means 4 stepped modes of low/med/high/”turbo”. Just click-click-click to step through them if in stepped mode.

“12 modegroups” sounds like bistro, you click like Hell to get into programming mode, then you can set it to 1 of 12 modegroups. Default modegroup would be the aforementioned 4-modes, but you could select another, eg, 100-only 1-mode, 30%/100 for 2 modes, etc.

Just speaking in general terms, as I ain’t got a C8+.

Thanks!

Don’t know if this will help anyone. Comparison of some throwy style lights and how the beam profiles compare:

Helps me. Thanks for posting this.

In addition to the Astrolux FT03 (XHP50.2), I ordered 2 more lights from mohrlumens (US based). I bought a Convoy L21A with Osram KW.CULPM1.TG and a Convoy M21A SST40 5000k 12 Group. I ordered both last Friday afternoon and received both Tuesday afternoon. I bought batteries from IMR batteries yesterday and received them today (they are officed locally). Waiting for my charger to arrive from amazon.

Let us know what you think of each.

My L21A is coming from China, so probably a while off still.

Will do. i don’t have a lot to compare these to other than an older streamlight and surefire in addition to random cheap flashlights around the house. however, the housing/body on these seems to be very solid. i’m going to need to go back to college to figure out how to program these things. Is there a way to attach pictures to a post? i see the insert photo requires a URL.

Do batteries usually get shipped fully charged, partially, empty or just depends?

You’ll need to host your pictures somewhere, lots of different sites. Then past the link here with a ! at the beginning and end !

Li-ion has a ‘storage’ charge of around 3.7v so more than likely this is what they will arrive at. You’ll need to charge them before use.

thanks.

Hey I just got this today with a green Osram and I love it. Amazing throw and very compact using an 18350

I’m a huge fan of Hank’s lights. I also just got his SBT90.2 K1 and it has an Absolutely amazing amount of light and throw. It rivals my 100 watt Firefoxes FF5 HID

It’s a bit above your price range but here’s the link Noctigon K1 Thrower 1*21700 LED Flashlight

When you say green, is that obviously what it sounds like? it emits a green light? are there uses for that other than hunting? i have some feeder lights that are green that i use for hog eradication, but just curious what else its used for.

i’ve heard nothing but awesome things about the K1 but will have to wait for a while until the wife forgets about my recent purchases. Well, she’s a wife, so she’ll never forget, but until the newness wears off i guess. so for now, ignorance is bliss when it comes to the k1.

Haha I know dude… I sneak down to the mailbox at night and bring my new flashlights downstairs.

So this is my first green flashlight and it’s pretty damned cool. I have the least powerful version - the KR1 - and even with an 18350 battery (less powerful than an 18650 I would think…) I can actually see the green beam in the air when shining it in a dark room in my house. I honestly can’t think of a practical application for it but maybe it would be good for hunting or preserving night vision? I’m carrying it right now and can’t wait to shine it around tonight