Newbie - small light for self defence

Depends on what you consider cheap. But if you were considering the Klarus light then not to cheap. I’d recommend the nitecore p12gt. If you looking to be on a budget a convoy s2+ with 8x7135 chips. Or have a member build you one with a fet driver. Maybe mitko or another Europe member could build you a light and ship to you. But off the shelf in your range nitecore p12gt, thrunite tn12, tc12, convoy s2+ 8*7135.

Learn the ui well on all my lights different makes and models I can get into strobe without even thinking about it. But even without strobe a full on 1000+ lumens makes it hard to see. But if someone is serious about harming you a strobe will only disorient them for a little bit. I wouldn’t count on it. You turn it on them and run or blind them with the strobe and beat them down. Maybe you should consider a large light. That you can strobe them and then beat them with the light. Strobe alone won’t save you

A self defense flashlight is about as useful as a tactical feather.

i dont think really a flashlight would save u in case someone with a knife or weapon try mug you… then u need have a small knife instead.

I just shined 1600 lumen in my eyes and immediately typed this message.
As others have said, bright lights will offer no protection.
You are better off carrying a big stick.

:wink:

Klarus XT11GT

50m beamshot

I’m not a fan of counting on a flashlight as a self-defense tool either, but as you are located in Europe, I’m not familiar with the laws there.

I would also recommend a Convoy S2/S2+ light with the 8x 7135 driver and CW 1A XM-L2 emitter, as sold by Simon:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-Convoy-S2-Gray-Cree-XML2-U2-1A-AMC7135-3-2-Group-3-5-Mode/330416_1614328969.html

The full size S2 is a bit longer, but has a deeper reflector, making the beam a bit tighter so more throw:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Convoy-s2-18650-edc-small-hard-oxygen-t6-u2-strong-light-flashlight/330416_826041411.html

Check out the full selection Simon has available through Convoy:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Convoy-Flashlights/330416_254412389.html

I’m a fan of the pocket clip for EDC carry:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/universal-clip-suitable-for-S2-S2-M1-C8/330416_32579921654.html

…but holsters are available too:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/high-quality-nylon-holster-for-Convoy-S2-S3-flashlight/330416_32753197347.html

Just carry a gun. If all the muslim invaders are allowed to carry them, why can’t you?

Without knowing your local laws, legal system, representation and plaintiff/defendant rights a flashlight (and a pair of sneakers for a speedy get away) might be your best option. “Lethality” of an object in my local courts is defined as much by intended usage as it is physical attribute. So a rock or a brick used to offensively crack someones skull could be presented to a jury as more lethal than a knife or even a gun depending how an attorney presents usage intent evidence to a jury.

Not sure if you are ready to take on that level of responsibility when it comes to rule of law and self defense in the event that something goes really wrong and you find yourself in a bad situation.

As far as lights go, IMHO you will want as tight a beam profile as you can fit into your intended carry method. The goal is to concentrate as many lumens in between someones eyes as you can. A wide floody beam will be less effective. Lux output into a tight spot will be more important than color temperature, CRI or lumen output by itself. At the same time I don’t think you want something “too” concentrated because missing the target completely will be no use. So aspheric throwers would not be ideal here.

IMHO a smooth reflector design, 6000K, with a high current XP-L Hi. The Klarus recommendation above is a good one IMHO.

You mention traveling and coat pocket carry… TSA at my local airports posts signs that travelers can not carry-on Lithium batteries. I have never had a problem with that but I could see it becoming one.

You can carry-on liion, just not check them in baggage. If that were the case, nobody would be allowed on the airplane with a cell phone or a laptop.

A flashing LED is not self defense. Don’t believe the marketing lies.

Oh right… I had it backwards then. my apologies

Not by itself, which is how they are wrongly marketed and perceived. As part of a system with proper training however it definitely could be advantageous if it buys you time as a perp looks away even for a few seconds. That could be the difference between combative restraint and a clean / swift get away.

Your very limited on what you can and can’t carry in Europe/uk anything that could be used as a weapon is a big no no.
So you need something you would have on you for a genuine other reason.
A flashing torch as others have said is more likely to get stuck somewhere it shouldn’t if you try to use it on an attacker.
If your really keen to have something, I’d carry one of those cheap plastic 2 D cell torches, be sure to carry TWO spare d cell batteries though, personally I’d store them together in a very long hiking sock to stop them shorting out :wink:
Keep them in your jacket pocket in case you need to pull then out fast in an emergency :wink:

There are few lights you can access strobe right out the pocket

Nitecore P5 P10 and various Klarus XT lights have a Strobe ready paddle in the tailcap

Lights like Nitecore P12 can memory strobe

Hmm, the only flashlight good for self-defense would be mounted on a .45 auto.

Don’t believe the commercials of some putz chasing out a burglar with a flashlight with strobe. In real life, he’d probably end up having to have the flashlight later removed by a proctologist.

Governments and their various toadies and lickspittles don’t like The Little People™ being able to defend themselves. As you point out, you can forget dedicated weaponry such as guns and knives. Even “tactical pens”, bricks, bottles, etc., can just as easily land you in prison for daring to defer to Authority™ and their monopoly of force.

The inmates are running the asylum.

At best, a strong light might hamper someone’s night vision and that’s about it My ‘grab’ light for checking outside at night is a modded C8 thrower and that’s all I expect from it which in my case is all I want. It might ‘buy me’ a second or two during which time weapons will be deployed appropriate for the situation :smiling_imp:

Many EU countries have strict laws regarding weapons so what I’d do is use my light as a “Yawara stick” which if used correctly is a potent weapon. Or like dw911 says- use something improvised (and use a very strong sock :wink: ). Certain kinds of aerosol sprays which are completely legal to have on your person make a good substitute for pepper spray. Moreso when ignited during or after spraying :open_mouth: An umbrella or walking cane rammed with all you’ve got into someone’s gut or kidney will stop them cold even if it doesn’t penetrate anything. A “Bic” pen will penetrate someone’s neck or throat or eye stopping them. Women have used hatpins like this for ages.

But the best way to avoid trouble is just that: avoidance :smiley: If you pay attention you can almost always see trouble coming before it arrives and if it’s in the form of an attacker they almost always detour away when they notice you’ve seen them and are preparing for their attack. Crooks prefer easy targets so don’t be or appear to be one- your best weapon is your brain :sunglasses:

Phil

^
This is extremely good advice from a legal viewpoint. Especially the sound reason to carry the “spare” batteries in a sock…