Nichia 219 B10 4500K vs XP-G2 R5 NW - anybody knows about beamshots, comparison? Or can provide?

Just ruined my only XP-G2 R5 3D while installing a new TIR optic.
No comparison from me anymore with an XP-G2.

Tried to reattach the dome correctly but the wires were already torn. Then tried some more and dedomed it :bigsmile:

It works, but there is no way to attach new wires. I can solder the crap but what happens it solders as well alongside the emitter wall down to negative and makes a short circuit with the positive. Not possible to move the darn emitter on it’s base to avoid that. Had to throw it away :frowning:

^After accidental complete dedome.
Still works if power is connected to the emitter (minus and at least one of the positive posts on the emitter/the yellow phosphor)

As you can see the negative is all around the emitter and when trying to solder new positive post it will automatically attach to the negative as well.

The TIR is XP-G 12mm from FastTech, it fits, but it is close and I already removed the silicone from the emitter base around the dome with the previous reflector, had to kapton tape it to avoid shorts. The TIR managed to catch the side of the dome and rip it slightly off the emitter. Invisible unless tested = dead and under an angle it was visible there is an air/space below the dome between dome and phosphor in part of it.

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about that.

Yeah it is, I even tried the TIR before screwing it and seen that there is a little play around the dome so it does fit. Then screwed the head on and nothing, not a flick of light and went to inspect what’s wrong which became soon apparent.

I wouldn’t mind swapping all stuff to Nichia but I don’t have that many of them.

4 that is, 3 for a triple and 1 as a spare in case I ruin one, will use it in a desk lamp and hopefully no Nichia dies. At least the Nichia triple TIR does not rotate around the dome and is fixed to the MCPCB.

Rufusbduck, Thank you for the beam shot. In real life, which emitter renders the wall color closest to how it appears during the day? And, is the picture pretty close to what you actually see?

This is a really good thread. It seems that the XPG2’s with the higher CRI’s might be the way to go when you consider that they have lower Vf’s then the 219 B10’s. So you get most of the color rendering with more runtime or more brightness. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

EDIT: Oucyfoot has a beamshot in post # 37. Can we get your input on the same questions I asked Rufusbduck?

I built my first nichia this weekend. It was using a P60 SMO with and XML reflector (empty drop in from FT). The beam was smooth and I was surprised by the throw. Seemed a little less floody than and XML. I ended up accidentally destroying the emitter the next day.

The XPG is more white less yellow so it renders white better to my eye but the Nichia does a better job at rendering deeply colored objects. I tend to notice the corona where tints show so I like to use different lights occasionally to avoid getting stale on any particular tint.

Thanks Rufusbduck. Appreciate the input. If I’m reading you right, you’re saying, “Variety is the spice of life. Enjoy all the emitters for their unique qualities. Be happy!”.

all of these emitters vary .. like it or not I have a tan a pinkish and a greenish hued nichia.... and the xpg 2 4c 's are all different too ..My suggestion is buy bunches of them and mod like a madman and keep the ones you like .

Every time I say a color like green or pink or tan etc I know that it's a huge exaggeration ...and up against any other emitters the worst of them blows all others away.IMHO these are the best of the best .

the only choices are higher cri or brightness

in the spirit of BLF I suggest buying both

It took me sleeping on this to realize this some real good information. Thank you for taking the time to share it.

I’m starting to see the wisdom in what Boaz and a few others have been saying for some time. I realize now that I had the wrong overall thinking when it comes to xpg2 vs 219 B10 (and vs 90 cri xml2). It shouldn’t be a “vs” thing. They both have strong points and the best one should be used for each individual application. I was wanting to get only the best one of the two for everything.

Overall, I think I will be primarily using Nichia’s. I live in the country/woods with a nearby pond. I have come across a couple cotton mouth snakes, but no rattle snakes yet. I want the best light to noticing them .