Nichia NVSL219AT at Fasttech, any good?

Thanks for answering. Sounds like a good plan. I was almost sure the centre LED doesn’t make a nice beam under the Cute-3, but as a kind of stand-by indicator it wouldn’t bother me too much. But adressing that LED when the main LEDs are off in a clicky light is something I haven’t seen anyone realizing yet. Thought about sacrificing one of the three triple pads for a red LED for some useful red modes as well, might try that in the next days.

@THE_dAY

I’m sorry, but at this point I hvae no idea where to get those, I’d want some more myself.

i posted a thread on some mods I’ve done with these here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/36799

Thinking I might use these to replace LB, etc? Can I reflow to the same star? How do I tell?

Never put led on star before, although I heated one up and straightened one out once

they fit xp-sized stars (xp-e/xp-g/xp-l), and there’s threads and videos about how to reflow. i’m using a small gas torch to heat the stars, and so far i’m happy with the results :slight_smile:

Thanks, Oscar. I got half a dozen.

Yes, great find OscarM.

I put them into the light in post #169 in THIS thread and the body color matches the tint! LOL they are warm, but a very nice warm. Great LEDs at a spectacular price… Buy some for exploring the warm tints, very nice light out of them….

Ordered them (one 3-pack) 13 days ago, arrived today, they sent me 6 LEDs :smiley:
2 strips of 3 pieces.

I’ll replace the greenish XP-G2 in my Olight i3S EOS with one of these (have to wait for SnPb solder paste).

Hopefully the boost driver will be happy enough with the high Vf.

[edit] sorry, ancient topic… [/edit]

today i used a couple nichia-modded flashlights; my trustfire 3t6 modded to 3x dual nichias (a total of 6 leds), with matte tape on the glass to get rid of the donuts.
i also used my cheap boruit headlamp with xm-l + 2x xp-, where i replaced the xp- with nichias.

So: old leds and an old thread, they still can be useful!

Yeah, I plotted the given x/y coords on the color chart, and estimated it to be about 2700K, quite toasty.

Dunno if it’d make a great flashlight, but makes a great nightlight!

I love the beam This emitter sends out the front of my blf-348. I even prefer it to the 219b version.

Like microsurgery when it was swapped in one of my BLF348’s…. I really like it more than the 5000K… Very nice in total darkness as it doesn’t hurt my night vision as much… Less output, but still plenty of light…

Mmm, this has somewhat piqued my interest on these again.

With a driver like this 3-4x3 W Watt High Power LED Light lamp Driver Power Supply 85-265V 600mA, 3 of these emitters on alu stars mounted on 40×40×11mm heatsinks would make for a nice ≈350 lumens bedroom light. Of course, I'd have to attach all of that stuff to some sort of light fixture…

Cheers ^:)

Nah, ya don’t.

I hate the glare of overhead lights, so have a MR12-ish LED light mounted in a “flowerpot” bulb-socket + cord + inline-switch aimed at the ceiling to give a nice mellow diffuse ceiling-bounce effect.

Could just mount the critters in series on an Al block/strip, use a 12V wall-wart instead, and you can stick a suitable resistor in series with it. Eg, if 3V per LED (@700mA), that’s 9V, from 12V, leaves 3V headroom. For 0.7A, R = 3V/0.7A ~ 4.2Ω. Salt’n’pepper to taste. (3.9Ω would probably be the closest standard value.)

Mmm, no overhead fixture I was thinking on. Just a single E14 socket corded desktop lamp I have lying around.

Of course, the leds would be driven in series. That's how the driver I linked would handle them.

I was thinking in setting up the heatsinks around the lamp's tube in a triangular shape, for all-around light distribution. Maybe some cheap PMMA plano-convex lenses attached with hot glue over the emitters would also do nice…

I have a few of these coming from fasttech, figured I could toss them in some cheap hosts to replace the LB emitters they came with, can’t be worse then that I figure. From extreme blue to extreme yellow lol.

I would say that they would be quite a bit better than “can’t be worse”. I really like the tint these emitters produce, super warm and golden, very pleasant to the eye.

Fwiw, the 21mm lenses at FT are a perfect fit for MiniMags, if you wanna do a mod and turn it into a nice flooder.

Almost a perfect fit over a 20mm star, too, so easy centering.

Seconded.

Not nearly the nasty lemon-yellow that some “WW” LEDs are.

I have some in my S30RII triple with a frosted TIR.
They make a great nightstand light with that cosy and warm tint !

"convex lens" on fleBay

23mm acrylic plano convex lenses at less than $1… a 10-pack. Yeah! :-)

Damn I'm cheeeap!

Thick looking, short focal lenght. Seem similar to the ones I've found on SK68 clone flashlights (∅22mm OD).