Nichia NVSL219AT at Fasttech, any good?

I just threw three of them on a XP32 board and measured 5.4A with an almost full 25R in direct drive.

I had a look at them today, ReManG had had me send some, thanks! :-)

I build one onto a AA-light and if you compare the die-colour to one of the old 4500K 92CRI ones I bought from Illumination Supply a few years ago (btw, that was my first emitter swap ever!), the FT one (on the right) is way more orange.

And the comparing beam shot confirms a very very cosy tint (FT led on the left, 4500K 92CRI on the right):

I compared it to various warm tints I have, it is even warmer than the 3000K 90CRI XP-G (in a Quark mini-AA), so my guess is 2700K or less. But it is still far from as orange as a candle (1800K):

Very rosy as others also noticed, and possibly high CRI (for what that is worth at 2700K, the blue colours will never show well at this colour temperature), and if not the highest CRI, it is at least a very pleasant tint!

I think they are great, the warmest leds I have ever had, great for winter time :party:

@ finges

Hi,

you made me curious. May I ask where that board will go in and what’s your plan with the red LED?

I wanted to do something with that board and one red LED on it as well. I think if you’re using the centre spot for red, it would be a nice locator/battery indicator but haven’t figured out yet how to implement that in a clicky-light.

Thanks for the comparison info above in Post 41 djozz. :)

And now let's hope for consistency, that Fasttech is not selling a grab bag of random tints under this SKU. (btw, my 3 emitters were from one piece of reel)

I plan to build a headlamp similar to the lupine neo. If you want to use the red light you need a diffusor otherwise the spot is very ugly and distorted.
I will use two drivers for this lamp one FET+1 for the 3 nichias and one 1A driver for the red led.

I just got in more of these, and they were all separately cut from a reel… so three packaged individual LED’s now, instead of three in a row packaging off of a reel… We will see… LOL

Thanks for testing djozz, that new Fasttech 219A looks to be brighter than the classic 219A or are these different drive levels?

chouster, where can I get one of those NVSL219B V1 SW40 from the top row?
Thanks

No, they are driven completely different, the FT one is in a alkaline AA light with boost driver, the 4500K high CRI one is in a 16340 li-ion light with AK47A lineair driver on medium setting.

I have not tested the output but I do not expect it to be much different than the 219A 4500K 92CRI, a bit less if it is 90+CRI after all.

Ah ok, thanks I was surprised by the brightness from the beamshot. :slight_smile:

Thanks for answering. Sounds like a good plan. I was almost sure the centre LED doesn’t make a nice beam under the Cute-3, but as a kind of stand-by indicator it wouldn’t bother me too much. But adressing that LED when the main LEDs are off in a clicky light is something I haven’t seen anyone realizing yet. Thought about sacrificing one of the three triple pads for a red LED for some useful red modes as well, might try that in the next days.

@THE_dAY

I’m sorry, but at this point I hvae no idea where to get those, I’d want some more myself.

i posted a thread on some mods I’ve done with these here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/36799

Thinking I might use these to replace LB, etc? Can I reflow to the same star? How do I tell?

Never put led on star before, although I heated one up and straightened one out once

they fit xp-sized stars (xp-e/xp-g/xp-l), and there’s threads and videos about how to reflow. i’m using a small gas torch to heat the stars, and so far i’m happy with the results :slight_smile:

Thanks, Oscar. I got half a dozen.

Yes, great find OscarM.

I put them into the light in post #169 in THIS thread and the body color matches the tint! LOL they are warm, but a very nice warm. Great LEDs at a spectacular price… Buy some for exploring the warm tints, very nice light out of them….

Ordered them (one 3-pack) 13 days ago, arrived today, they sent me 6 LEDs :smiley:
2 strips of 3 pieces.

I’ll replace the greenish XP-G2 in my Olight i3S EOS with one of these (have to wait for SnPb solder paste).

Hopefully the boost driver will be happy enough with the high Vf.

[edit] sorry, ancient topic… [/edit]

today i used a couple nichia-modded flashlights; my trustfire 3t6 modded to 3x dual nichias (a total of 6 leds), with matte tape on the glass to get rid of the donuts.
i also used my cheap boruit headlamp with xm-l + 2x xp-, where i replaced the xp- with nichias.

So: old leds and an old thread, they still can be useful!

Yeah, I plotted the given x/y coords on the color chart, and estimated it to be about 2700K, quite toasty.

Dunno if it’d make a great flashlight, but makes a great nightlight!

I love the beam This emitter sends out the front of my blf-348. I even prefer it to the 219b version.