Noctigon Meteor M43 official sales and discussion thread

:+1: :sunglasses: :beer:

That does sound nice…

The M43’s driver has some, uh, complications, so it could take a while or might need some circuit design changes. But once that is worked out I think it could be pretty awesome.

Hank, that would be incredible for the M43 to have community developed firmware. I’m looking forward to this.

As am I. That and the fact you are offering the silver/white model again. I get so sick of plain black flashlights

I removed the led board in the M43 today and was surprised to find out that there is no thermal paste underneath the board. Is there some specific reason for not using thermal paste or it is just a stupid way to save some $$?! :confused:

It’s explained here by Richard from Mountain Electronics, post #72: New Noctigon M43 - no thermal paste & other issues...

Oh, i see… but in my opinion in a light from this price range this is unacceptable, anyways although the led board and the shelf are pretty much as flat as it gets for a light i’ve added AC MX-4 when i assembled the light back, i don’t know if its going to improve the light but i am sure it wont make it worse.

And also somewhere was a test made by Texas_Ace which shows that pressure gives more influence than thermal grease existing.

That is true, but same amount of pressure that it was before plus right amount of thermal paste should not make the things worse.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/44953, Here is Texas_Ace’s test conclusion,
So what is the end result?

Apply thermal paste in your flashlights but worry more about the clamping force of the mcpcb to the pill.

Make sure to only apply a thin layer of thermal paste, too much is just as bad or worse then too little. plus it is messy.

It won’t be making any changes to my LED test procedures. Thermal paste is a pain to work with and has less then a 1% effect on the final numbers in my test rig with lots of clamping force.

There is difference between “no thermal paste” and “which type of thermal paste and how to apply it”.
Here is the comparison photo of the one with and without the thermal paste, you may find it hard to notice
if there is thermal paste there without the comparison photo.
Actually the one we used is a kind of dry type, very thin layer on the pill, so that it will not be squeezed from
the holes of the MCPCB, and mess up the top surface, the first glace will give you the impression that there is no thermal on the pill which is not true.
The MCPCB is mirror polished, which I think the clamp force to make it tightly contact with the pill is more important.

Hank isn’t a typical clueless businessman trying to cut corners. I may give him crap sometimes, but he knows what he’s doing. The Meteor is carefully designed and its build is top-notch.

Man I still love the Meteor so much… :smiley:

My apologies then, mine did had that thin layer of the unknown grease but i thought that maybe that is only some oil left from machining the host.

Anyways my point was not to bash someones work or product its just i was used to see more standard thermal paste in there, some white/silver stuff, to this day i haven’t seen something similar to the one in the meteor.

I love the light, i tend to use it whenever i can and sometimes even tho moonlight level from AAA light will do the job i still take out the meteor just because it is one of my favorite lights at the moment.

It’s one of my 4 favorites too. I have the gold one the stone white and 2 black ones all different tints. My wife just doesn’t understand why I have to turn all 4 of them on at the same time in turbo. Inside the house. When the light switch is right there on the wall. Too bad they won’t use an electroless nickel coating. You wouldn’t need thermal grease because it has excellent conductive properties, you would never need to lube the threads because of its teflon-like properties, and it adds negligible thickness as a coating.

and i thought I’m the crazy one with 3. I don’t feel as bad now!

The only improvement on this light would be a charging circuit in the tail… :innocent:

I’ll agree with that

:wink:

Pertaining to the white model only that just came back in stock, does it compare in quality to the original batch or the more recent batches?