OFFICIAL Group Buy UF-1504, UF-1504 host, UF-1405, tail switch, 26650 batteries DISCOUNT CODES EXPIRED!!!!!!!!

I don’t doubt it. I was just giving you crap for fun. I don’t fool with IR enough to have a say. It was just a hassle to isolate everything so I went bergquist and artic silver. What are you using between the pcb and pill? The ones I have built have been in T20’s and the people have been happy so far.

Artic Alumina is your friend if you use noctigons but don't press mcpcb to hard on it. Gentle press or you could ground it and poof follows after that as it happened to me :) Bergquist all the way if you don't want to experiment with this. Noctigons are more risky.

Tell me more about this strange aspect of the IR leds, why do they burn out if the isolated (electrically) bottom of the Noctigon touch ground, how are the IR different to colour or white led’s. Why do they need to be isolated when the white led’s don’t need to be.

It is not inherent to IR-leds, it is an annoying feature of the Osram Oslon Black package: the central thermal pad of the led is not electrically neutral but connected to the + . That is not a problem with the presence of a dielectric layer, but with DTP copper boards the led+ gets shorted to the flashlight body .

Aha that makes perfect sense, thanks djozz :slight_smile:

Weird design choice on the Osram Oslon Black though, THAT makes very much no sense at all to me, but i guess they must have had a good reason to make them like that :~

Cajampa loves experimenting :) You must try this and follow Djozz zoomie build here

I have not really any need for IR light that i can think of, i don’t hunt & and i don’t use night vision systems. Besides that & possible grow lights what would you use them for?

But I like to use Amber & Red lights before bed time to optimize :wink: my melatonin production.

Today I built me a little Jexree Mini, with one of the Red XP-E2’s on 10mm Sinkpad i bought from n10sivern, and i really like it :slight_smile: it is almost to bright, especially if i use a Efest 10440 to DD it, just crazy amount of pure Red that fills the room :D, but i will use it with the stock boost driver with an Eneloop.
Those tiny boost driver have a tendency to burnout, if used with a 4.2v battery so you lose the NiMH boost function of the driver & it only functions on 10440’s then.

To be honest i am a bit scared about building or using IR lights, i have read some horror stories, of guys who have hurt their eyes because they didn’t see the IR emitted, but the IR is focused on the retina even if you can’t see it.

When you are building & using IR lights have you or anyone here ever encountered that?

I have always been sort of careful with ir: I don't mind looking to the emitter for a second to see if it is on, but never much longer.

(I used to work with a 5W (light output) 1064nm laser, and that is a different story: it is completely invisible, so always wear blocking glasses and know exactly where your beam is, at all times. Biological tissue is highly transparent to 1064nm, so it gives very deep burns, even on your skin, let go what happens to your eyes)

If you are going to look at it, at least look at a strong white house light or something before, so the pupils will constrict & the IR would have much less potential to do harm.

Because what you see as on, the retina experiences like you just looked right into a crazy bright white light but worse, because your eyes really can’t fully experience the output, they don’t squint or the pupils constrict so they don’t protect themselves.

On the other hand, our r, g, and b receptors (and rods) do not have absorbtion in the IR-region, so IR-photons go straight through. Therefore, the energy (=heating up) will spread out over a larger volume of tissue instead of being targeted specifically at the receptor molecules.

Good point.

But that also means that another of the eyes & retinas protection function, the bleaching (reduction) of the rhodopsin doesn’t happen, and that energy transfer that has a well functioning non damaging way of reduction/recycling to control light energy, is bypassed.
And that heating up of tissues much more likely would result in cell damage, even if it is dispersed over a bigger volume of tissue.

Those i have read about that have hurt there eyes with IR, said it took a long time to recover from, days or even weeks :Sp.

But when i have accidentally blasted my self with with white light with way over 1000 DD driven lumens, when centering emitters from way way to close :nerd_face: <- should have used :wink: in the early days of my modding (it still very much are :wink: only 6 months in so far and helplessly hooked :D), it was gone after some minutes

Because all the eyes protection functions, up to a point at least limited the damages (i hope anyway 0:) )

Anyway i may be overstating the dangers because plenty of hunters & night vision guys use them to hopefully no ill effect.

But i know when i shine my 1504 at the walls inside in spot mode, it hurts my eyes, but if i used an IR led instead i wouldn’t even feel the heating, as pain from the reducing rhodopsin to warn me.

Has anyone gotten there host yet, & what will you be building in it?

I tried to make 5 separate orders. Literally. All failed. Today, I noticed VISA Debit was now an option, and it worked. Finally, I have 1504 hosts on the way. :bigsmile:

I’m placing an order now with MTN. Decided on the XM-L2 U4 and FET driver. This is my first light that uses a 26650. Any suggestions? Needs to be available on MTN’s site.

Thanks.

Since you will be direct driving it, there is no point to a protected battery. Of the 26650’s that Richard sells I would use the Efest 4200

Cajampa,

About your switch mod:

Do you have clicky on/off function or it is twist to turn now?

I got replacement omten from IO but they are also no name switch and looks same as original 1504.

It works just like before with the normal clicky on/off function.

How strange that Hank would be selling noname/clone omten’s, and honestly a bit troubling, if i where you i would ask him what is up with that :expressionless: I had always held IOS + MTN at a much higher level of trust in shops for modding supplies.

And i was just about to order more from IOS, because that was my last one. And i actually didn’t get it from IOS, i got it from Ledsmoke, when i bought some BLF17DD drivers from him before he closed up shop. But as far as i know i think he got it from IOS.

And just to clarify the one i used in the picture, clearly have all the usual omtens markings on it.

Why Gearbest ended the GB and raised the complete light price to 30.11$ :S

Group buys only run for about a month. If they made it the lower price for a long time, it would not be much of a group buy, just the regular price.

I finally got pressure switches for 1504 and I will be brutally honest. They are not good :( . Not only because of tiny wires(really tiny) but because of loud click when you press it. Click sound is almost equally loud as reverse clicky omten switch. I know price is low and probably I got what I paid but point of tail switches is that they should be quiet.