OL Comp. C83 6.6. Update Night shots added. Finished for now.

OSHPark 12.2MM switch boards

http://oshpark.com/shared_projects/jlidNxF6
12.2 mm tact switch button board V2 with untented vias by Helios

Thanks WarHawk-AVG. Its amazing whats kicking around out there.

Are you waiting on Oshpark switch pcb’s or using an mcpcb?

I dont know what your talking about. I thought you were building my switch? Please dont get angry with me.

I'm trying (being the operative word) to use the switch in the above picture in some sort of metal switch. I have a plastic thingy half made I'm intending it to sit in and a spring to push whatever pushes on it back up which I'm having a hard time getting my head around. I promise I will get some more done this weekend. The 5 mm switch will end up being 20mm and wont fit if I cant keep it all small.

So you need to design a plunger with its own internal spring? Or a housing for the switch, or both?

Yes. I'm glad you understand. You have hit the nail on the head. Suggestions?

Drill a hole in the body.

Sorry, couldn’t resist temptation. Drill 4 small holes around the other hole and sandwich the switch between the housing and a backing plate. Or you could get fancy and make some kind of silly wired switch module that will probably fall out the first time I you push on it.

I'm working on the above post. The four small holes and the recess as ugly as it looks was the easy part.

Todays update. Number 2 switch attempt has just failed. It has all ended up in a mangled mess. I will attempt number 3 later. I need a stiff drink and its only 9.38 am here.

Another thing altogether to design your own.

Somehow though, I’m pretty confident that you’re gonna end up with a nice light here, regardless of what you say. :wink:

Set a glass of water out in the wind for an hour, let it get nice and red with dust, there’s your stiff drink. :slight_smile:

Thanks Dale. Mk 3 is also a failure. Its time for a change of plan. I'm going to cut my losses and use an of the shelf switch. Its my soldering letting me down. I'd say its time for some new flux and a few lessons.

I like what I see so far. Don't let the switch thing get you down.

You scared me Bucket. When I saw a new post I thought no, RBD is giving me the hurry up. He gets pretty angry sometimes which scares me. The switch is sorted. I have modded a Solarforce forward clicky to work as my momentary switch. No updates as yet as personal life has been really busy lately. Hopefully this weekend I will get heaps done.

Twiddling thumbs and faking patience. I don’t think there are any instances of people being made afraid of a midnight visit from a duck but who am I to say what you should fear?

OP updated 30.5.14.

Really like the curved shape of the head, it works very well with the fins cut and the big diameter. Gonna be a honker of a light for sure!

Well done! The rest is a piece of cake, right? :wink:

Thanks Dale. I was thinking about 2 this morning that I have not allowed anywhere for the earth on the driver. The machining I'm totally confident with. I wonder if Mattaus is visiting Melbourne any time in the next week? Apparently he's a gun solderer.

That head is looking great!

Nicely done so far. It is amazing how much work making a simple head is... Also, I applaud your confidence in buying just enough Aluminium to complete the job. I usually buy twice as much as I need...

That things huge! Looks like it’s progressing well too.