Opple Light Master 4 discussion thread (new 2023 model)

2 Thanks

SDL light or other home lights show good results(I am currently only looking at Ra’s goodness).

but the only flashlight I got shows bad results, from R1 to R14.

Are the R1-R14 numbers on the yellow background sourced from LM4? If that’s the case, it seems that it can calculate negative R9 numbers internally. As you know, R9 numbers are sometimes displayed “–” in the app.

One significant concern I’ve observed is inaccurate R9 readings on low-end LEDs. In my tests, R9 numbers increase to unreasonably high values in the high output of low-end LEDs.

I think your mentioned low-end LEDs could be found in some flashlights, next step I would expand the spectra that I possess.

did an experiment just now, LM4’s reading of Ra is similar with integrating sphere if i put LM4 in the IS(don’t shine flashlight directly to sensors of LM4 and IS) ,but when I shine the flashlight directly to LM’s white lens, LM4’s reading became ridiculous.
I can’t figure it out now.

Either the theoretical foundation of the firmware, its implementation or both are not sane. But you knew this already. How can we help?

firmware is straightforward, just retrieve sensor channels values through I2C and sending those values to smartphone through Bluetooth.
I will verify if auto gain lock impacts.

3 Thanks

@stevechang Thank you for all of your updates.

Outside of the flashlight world, many of us Opple Light Master Pro for measuring flicker in iPhone displays, computer monitors, TVs, and also lightbulbs. The flicker tab is very important to us, and we are glad to see it included in this product. The fact that is adheres to the IEEE PAR1789 standard is wonderful.

Unfortunately, since Apple released iPhone X seven years ago, they have used PWM and other technologies that make the displays flicker with high modulation and low PWM frequency. They are now using it in iPads and their laptops as well. It is very annoying because it creates massive eye-strain, headaches, migraines, nausea, and other negative health issues. There are many forums and Reddit discussions about this.

3 Thanks

Interesting, does locking brightness to 100% solve it or does it still have visible PWM?

You may have to clarify what you mean by “visible” PWM; it’s not visible in the sense that you can actually see a flicker, but here are some Opple readings for various iPhones, with the model and brightness beneath each picture. Most of these phones give many of us eye-strain, headaches, and nausea after a while. The feeling starts with a throbbing behind the eyes when using them and gets progressively worse. Most of them use PWM, TLM (Temporal Light Modulation), and flicker even at 100% brightness. It’s a bit off topic for this forum, but it’s a major issue, and I appreciate the fact that Opple allows us to identify smart phones and other devices where this is an issue.

Here are my results:

I measured the following:

• Apple Store overhead lighting
  • iPhone 15 (100% - 75% - 50% - 25%)
  • iPhone 15 Plus (100% - 75% - 50% - 25%)
  • iPhone 15 Pro (100% - 75% - 50% - 25%)
  • iPhone 15 Pro Max (100% - 75% - 50% - 25%)
  • iPhone 13 (100% - 75% - 50% - 25%)
  • iPhone SE, 3rd generation (100%)

Here is another person’s results, with deep analysis:

If interested in the topic, here are some resources:

1 Thank

LM4’s flicker detection module basically kept intact

1 Thank

Is the LM3 still being produced and sold?

Like some others, I won’t buy this if it requires an account and internet access to function. If your system ever goes offline this is a dead product

Even if you can get your hands on a LM3 it, I have not seen any software updates for the LM3 companion app. It has some annoying usability bugs (fonts don’t scale, etc) but seems nobody works on it any more. How long the app will work in the face of new versions of iOS / Android is anyone’s guess.

LM3 runs out of spectral chip. so it’s discontinued.
I have no saying on whether LM should work online or offline.

I’ve done the cloudy day, and have R7 = -1296.48 and R12=5.63
I have the LM4
some ideas?

Although Ra and R9 numbers from LM4 give us somewhat useful information, I think the individual R numbers are not very reliable.

It seems to me that LM4 processes signals from from several channels from the sensor and extrapolate them to calculate R1 to R14 numbers. So, I think it is inevitable that some R numbers are quite off. This is my guess.

By the way, does your LM4 display negative numbers of R7? Mine is displayed as “-” as seen my screen shot. Oh! I see. If I create Test Report, I can see the negative numbers.

1 Thank

yes, you have right. going into the test report. it’s pitty that they have not calibrate to have the real day light as it has to be. having so wrong values is strange. it’s a nice tool anyway…i like the flicker part …helped me to adjust my pc monitor…:sunglasses:

Steve, is Opple going to continue supporting the LM3 Android / iOS App? Even if those devices aren’t shipping there are plenty of them out in the wild; its a huge shame if they become e-waste with built in lithium batteries. Android / iOS platform changes are inevitable and require constant up-keeping of their respective apps to remain in the stores and be stable to use.

i’ll convey your suggestion to relevant people.

you are measuring daylight?
only Led supported.