Opple Light Master 4 discussion thread (new 2023 model)

Not glad that my lemon may not be the only one. Your experience nearly mirrors mine. Opple 4’s tendency/behavior is different depending on the light.

In my case the 2 lights with high CRI LEDs, Convoy S21D with 219b and 519a, had Duv that was different but within range, and oddly more positive vs Opple 3. CCT was very accurate and Ra was slightly low but within range.

TS30S and IF22a are not just slightly off, but have “weird”/way-off readings in several parameters: Duv, CCT, Ra, R9. Duv is so much more negative vs my Opple 3. To the point that it’s negative in a LED known to have severe green tint.

Think I might hold off purchasing for a while :wink:

1 Thank

I presume the Opple HQ in Eindhoven held it back due to the nonsense readings while a chinese company tries to sell this flawed production run.

Meanwhile I found an email in my spam folder about the immediate availability of the LM4. That was in parallel to a reply from Eindhoven about the actual release date and came from opplelightmaster@outlook.com (quite fishy).

Interesting that Opple has not commented on my remark that the LM4 is already available on AE. Either both companies belong together or Opple wants to investigate this in private before they make any statements about the issue.

Edit: Of course, I’m still pestering them for answers.

5 Thanks

Sorry to tell, but Eindhoven is not the headquarters of Opple Lighting,
it’s just the local office for the Netherlands, like Mönchengladbach for Germany.

Opple Lighting is a Chinese company and the light master series
might be produced by themself or by an other Chinese company.

Thanks for corrrecting. At least, the theory was interesting ;).

Ok, with flawed LM4s now in the wild, not knowing what you get, I’m out for now.

There is hope a software fix can get better measurements. But also opple lol.

Few light compared LM3 vs LM4

4 Thanks

pgrzesko, Based on your knowledge of your lights, which one is more accurate?

Definitely LM3, the warmest ~2200K LED is 519A 2700K dedomed, it’s really rosy and calculated duv is close to professional spectrometer. Looks like LM4 has problem with warm light more than with colder CCTs

Here are some more Light Master 4 measurements from about 2 metres:

ZebraLight SC700d H1
4683K CCT
88.6 Ra
0.0045 duv

ReyLight Pineapple Mini Nichia 519A 4000K
3743K CCT
95.3 Ra
0.0039 duv

My LM4 does the exact opposite. So far (meaning preliminary look) it seems ok with my low CCT Nichia and GT-FC40 and goes berserk with higher CCT lights like TS30S 1st Gen and IF22a. So at least it is half-useful lol.

This lack of a trend is troublesome to me. It decreases the chance for a software-based correction by modifying the app and/or changing the algorithm, doesn’t it? “Trend-based” correction that I use for my LM3 is out the windows for sure. (Who else is on ebay looking for LM3?)

3 Thanks

I got a statement from Opple and thought it might not be against the interest of all parties to publish it here:

We received word that the Light Master 4 has indeed been released in China.

However, our European office (based in the Netherlands) will not release the Light Master 4 until (late) September or October (the exact release date has yet to be confirmed, but it will not be in August).

We therefore also cannot say much yet about the function of this new Light Master 4 that has been released in China and we bear no responsibility for purchases made through AliExpress.

Also, the email address opplelightmaster@outlook.com is not connected to anyone at our European office.

What I can say is that the new Light Master 4 will only work with the new SIG Mesh BLE2 App, and no longer with the “old” Light Master Pro App.

I don’t know if that might have something to do with the fact that the “China versions” are not working as they should?

For now there’s no more information that I can provide you, but I would advise to wait with purchase of the new Light Master till it has been officially released in Europe :blush:

6 Thanks

WOW! Just WOW :scream:

Nothing new for chinese manufactures. They have different but similar models for Europe and Chinese market. Ussualy for EU are better quality.

I doubt that Sig Mesh BLE will impact the functionality. It is just the communication protocol.

It can be easier to write new apps from scratch instead of trying to update an old app.

I couldn’t get the Opple Smart app to work as a Guest. I had to register. That’s a bit annoying. It’s slow to open each time.

It sounds like Opple in Europe may get products after an initial release in China. It’s in their interest to not recommend buying direct via AliExpress because those direct sales may impact their exclusive distribution agreement in Europe.

1 Thank

I received mine today… Just like TimMc, I had to sign up…
Keep in mind that when you try to login as a guest, it asks you to scan a QR code, which will then send you to the built-in browser to visit Google Store again… so it’s kind of useless.

It looks like you need to sign up…

btw, mine is called; Opple Smart Lighting… not Opple Smart
btw. this App also works with Opple Light Master 3 (pro)… It’s just not showing the R measurements, and DUV

1 Thank

I agree. As @Quadrupel already said and the different types of problems suggest, the chips are not calibrated. If it’s done in the chip itself or elsewhere in the box I don’t know, nor do I know if the Opple LM4 firmware can be updated in the first place.

Seems to me like a lost cause.

1 Thank

Got my LM4 today. These are the lights I can measure IF25A,TS11,S21D 10 Degree optics,M21F FC GT40 4000K-4500k,TS30S PRO.
How do I measure them? Lux,Distance Testing techniques?

Are people with LM3 using Light master pro software or Opple smart lighting?

If I measure the sun should I not get 5000k-6000k? Shouldn’t everyone get the same? As you can tell I’M new at this.

1 Thank