Opple Light Master 4 discussion thread (new 2023 model)

If anybody wants to sell their old Opple 3 now that the new ones are coming in send me a PM

Thanks for beta testing. :slight_smile: Looks like device is not calibrated. I ques you should ask for refund.

2 Thanks

Does the chip used in the LM4 send raw sensor data, so this problem can be corrected in firmware or the app?

Second thought: Maybe there is a very good reason Opple NL still insists on a launch in August.

Dang, that’s not good.

Mine is on its way. Hopefully that’s a one-off issue. Anyone else have one yet? Can anyone else compare and confirm against an Opple 3 or better device?

well, so everyone have to bring out the SBT90.2, and test that opple 4 now…

Yes definitely it could be I got a lemon. In the next few days more owner inputs would clarify issue quickly. @Mandrake has Opple 4 coming and has Wurkkos TS30S Pro.

I suspect that the sensor does not work properly when the output is very high. I have seen some measurements from reddit that include a measurement of SBT90.2. The measurement seems to be in line with what we already know: green duv of -0.0150, low Ra of 62.6, and very low R9 of 18.6. The lux reading for that measurement was 1122, so the reddit user must have used a very low output.

I have also ordered the G4 and will check if mine acts in a similar way. By the way, my G3 seems to be working fine at around 50k lux output. It gives me a reasonable duv (calculated from the x and y coordinates). We will see how my G4 compares.

2 Thanks

The minus sign is typo? You meant positive? Thanks - I’m going to re-test at lower outputs.

Yes. That is a typo. duv was 0.0150.

here is the reddit image:

totally different from yours:

thanks for all your efforts doing comparison tests…

USPS finally has mine in possession. They are saying it should be here Thursday. I’ll run some comparisons that night.

Edit… Arrived at my local post office. I’ll be getting it tomorrow (Monday) sweeeeeeeet

Mine went through customs and says USPS awaiting package. Label printed Compton CA.
I will check with the TS30S when I get it.
BTW, My V3 will just stop recording with too high LUX. SO there are limits.

1 Thank

I’ve tested some more lights and am beginning to see a pattern:
1. Duv is about 40 points more negative and that’s why I’m seeing these crazy negative value with my TS30S 1st Gen. For example with Sofirn IF22a with SFT40,
Opple 3 reads 0.0014
Opple 4 reads MINUS 0.0026 (I haven’t seen a negative number with this LED)
1 lumen review 0.0048

2. CCT is about 400k more positive. For example same IF22a
Opple 3 6470k
Opple 4 6845k
1lumen review 6302k

3. The crazy Ra and R9 are still seen with TS30S 1st Gen and TS30S Pro, even at lower lm input for the sensor. I have no idea why.

So hopefully I have a lemon and this is not a systemic problem. Let’s just wait for more numbers from other owners.

2 Thanks

I got my LM4 yesterday in the mail.
Tested today with Zebra SC700D and XHP70.3HD 6000K 90CRi where it showed 5800K on H1 and 70 R9 but that is what LM3 showed as well but only because of Joshk Delete Green coating on the lens.
Duv is 0.002 which is close to LM3 (0.0023).
I’d say mine is (still) ok.

2 Thanks

this review does not have duv data…

but whichever review youre finding that data in, if it is Opple 3 data, I find people get different results, sometimes as much as 0.0030 different than my results w Opple 3… possibly due to differences in technique…

thanks for all your efforts… hopefully you can develop some standard difference between your Opple4 and Opple3 readings…

I consider a 0.0030 variation to be possible.

otoh, using any one instrument, to compare two different LEDs, should at least give Relative differences between two lights

matching other peoples readings across the internet is less likely

Using an Opple Light Master Pro, I obtained the following measurements:

Yes agreed in a low cost device like this it’s important to find a pattern vs. reviewers’ and other users’ numbers, etc. After a few hundreds or a thousand measurements it’s usually very clear :man_facepalming: :slightly_smiling_face:. In a case like this where device is off by so much in so many measurements, I think I will stay with my two Opple 3’s that track each other closely enough for Duv, and one tracks reviewers’ output for throw numbers well.

R9 is reading 100 for a IF22a also btw.

Mine is on the way, so I can compare measurements on the same light from Opple 3 to Opple 4 once I get it. Hopefully there isn’t a big problem with all of them, but if there is, we can figure out what it is with lots of data.

1 Thank

Received mine from Amazon today. Getting some weird readings like the others…

TS30S
CRI: 57.1
R9: 100
DUV: -0.0015

E12C (519A 5000K DD)
CRI: 95.4
R9: 82.0
DUV: -0.0008

IF22A
CRI: 59.4
R9: 67.0
DUV: 0.0003

This is my first Light Master so I have nothing to compare the results to locally, but the DUV seems off for these lights (low for the TS30S and IF22A, high for the E12C), and the CRI for the TS30S. Results for less-powerful and most single-emitter lights seem more in line with the results from reviews and people with better equipment.

1 Thank

Mine is likely to arrive monday or tuesday. I don’t have another one but I’ll post the data points and LED details when I get it. Is there a good guide on how to take measurements anywhere?