Oshpark Projects

Finally got some stuff shared!

BLF 15 & 17dd_PIC drivers (discussion thread)

SL-3_JM RGB SL3 driver, uses factory switch and 6 7135’s per channel, uses Attiny84 which can be purchased from DrJones
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/OXnjEANB

26mm contact plate
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/BIO3x0nd

more to come…

Does anyone know any other PCB makers that do small orders and can do <1mm wide slots? Oshpark’ limit is 100mil.

Smart prototyping does 32 mil. Scroll down the page to see their dimension limits.

Looks good, not sure about their pricing, I’ll email/call them tomorrow, I do see it says minimum milled plated slots are 12mil, that’s oshpark’s minimum trace thickness!

I think Mattaus ordered the thin version of the BLF Tiny10 from SP. The big difference is no free shipping so we needed a larger order to bring the cost per board down.

Can they do MCPCB’s? If not anyone know where I can get MCPCB’s made?

No idea. :~

A few years ago I had my own parallel triple 20mm MCPCBs made. This was before parallel or DTC boards were even a twinkle in our daddy's eyes.

I used http://www.bestpcbs.com/

They do custom designs. I can't tell you how much they cost me, but it was NOT cheap. They were however the cheapest I could find at the time. When I had them made I didn't even know what Eagle was, but it will help you cut costs if you can supply the Gerbers.

- Matt

Ask Ted Chen and gojgo.com (aka diygsm.com) if they do MCPCBs. Edit: they don’t do MCPCBs yet… but do make nice boards for cheap. If you are doing quantities/large boards they can be 1/10th the price of OSHPARK. Be aware that shipping costs can add around 20-30% to the board costs (except their special free-shipping deals).

I’ve been using them to make a lot (several hundred of each layout) of boards lately and they do good work. With DHL shipping (not much more cost and sometimes less than China Post) from submission of .BRD file to boards in my my hands has been 8 days. Note that their .BRD file CAM job does not make a bottom silk screen…

I've just had a response from Dan at Oshpark and thought you would be interested in his response. I dont think you could ask for anything better than this. l take my hat of to them and thanks again to you guys here.

Hi Steve,
Oh, shoot. It looks like the cutout wasn't declared in a way that the fab understood it. so they opted to not remove it at all. Do you have the link to the project page for this board? I've had this happen on this user's boards before, so I suspect I have corrected files buried somewhere if I have his username. If not, I'd like to contact him and update that project something we can reliably work with. If that works, I'll happily get these re-fabricated so we can ship you a usable set.
-Dan

oh man…can you imagine if we could get custom copper MCPCB’s made…whoah!

I could not wish for better service from any company. Dan has again got back to me with a couple of clarifications as well. This is copied directly from the email.

Hi Steve,

Oh geez! That's a long thread! Looks like you guys have gotten this all sorted out and located the Cutouts page, so that makes my life easy. I'll just refund this for now, and then you can simply re-order if wight gets them redesigned. I'd reckon this is easier.

Also! If you feel like correcting one fellow in there, our minimum trace width is actually 6mil, not 12mil. Only a bit different!

We're also working on official slot support! Currently, it's not officially supported, but our fabs will support slots down to 40 mil, with a small chance that they might not be fabbed at all. It's actually a limitation on how we send them the files, and not actually on the equipment side. Since it's not supported, if someone wants the optimal way to indicate them on the gerbers, they should email me I can provide them with the proper warnings and some pictures. We don't post those publicly, since people immediately assume that means it's actually supported and miss the fine print. :/

-Dan

OSHPark is AWESOME!

And I love the purple boards. :slight_smile:

I did ask then not to refund the money as I've been boring them out and using then but I was to late. They were that quick.

Oh yeah, they refunded the money on the first botched DCP boards I ordered…I told em it was fine that the boards weren’t right as not only did I make a mistake in the design but the white on the pads wasn’t a problem…they refunded the next day after the picture I sent them got in their inbox…fixed the design…re-ordered, got them in I think 8 days flat!

You guys know I have about 15+ different projects going on right now but I wanted to show the beginning of one I’m really excited about…

This is a AVR programmer, all parts other than a ZIF socket and a mini-USB female connector are stripped off a USBASP v2.0. (Total parts cost is <$10 including boards, ZIF and USB connector, total unit cost to build including a USB cable and the USBASP to strip is <$18)

The connector plugs in with a USB cable (so people with computers that don’t have a front USB port can use them easily) and has both a ZIF socket for programming bare chips and a 10 pin header connector that is pre-adapted so you can plug your SOIC clip’s ribbon connector straight into the board connector, no need to rewire them like we currently have to.

Just thought I’d share this-

The 3ch RGB driver (runs modified DrJones FW) for JohnnyMac’s SL-3

I wasn’t happy with the first design, this one should fit better and is much cleaner. I recommend sticking with an 0805 cap since the RED_PWM trace runs under the cap between the pad’s, there’s plenty of clearance and of course the trace is masked over but still, using a smaller cap could be risky.

Standard 105c parts, Attiny85 provided by DrJones and factory SL-3 switch.

Top traces appear organic.

I’ve realized I’m not a flashaholic, I’m a flashlight modaholic. The next step in my addiction is to start looking at making my own driver board layouts. Not because I need to, but because I want to.

I’ve download Eagle freeware version, but it seems the files that can be downloaded from the OSHPark links are not files I can load into Eagle. Am I mistaken? If not, do people generally share this part of their projects, or is it more or less expected that you make your own from scratch?