[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

I’ve been waiting for someone to mention using 26650s.

And although this would be a different project, I’d love to see a quad emitter, quad 26650 massive thrower/flooder.

Sorry to derail. Ok, go back to discussing the current project…

:wink:

4x26650 will not fit in one hand unless you have a very large hand, and that is not good for something that weighs over 1kg and probably costs a lot of money. Too easy to drop.
Going 4x26650 would definitely require a handle.

I agree.
Although 120 mm is quite huge, i think it’s the way to go for the GT.

4x 26650 will fit in a 6.5 x 6.5 cm tube, or a 7.0 cm round tube with 4 flattened surfaces.
Yes, that’s quite large…
Could use a handle though.
But it would be nice and short, but FAT. :smiley:

Okay.
This boils down to the LED choice i.m.o.
But i think most of us prefer the XPH35 (HI).
But since the XPH35 is ‘only’ 25 Watts, 4x Panasonic 3400mAh would last almost 2 times longer than 1 x 3400mAh in a 10 Watts C8.

I’ll do some drawings.

4*18650 vs 4*26650. Neither light has very thick walls.

I am in as well, please add me to the list.

I measured the XHP35 HI die size to be close to 2.50mm across, so ~1.56x the area of the XPL die size.

Based on my measurements it has close to 1.5x the lumens of an XPL V6 at ~6A and will throw close to the dedomed XPL V6 when driven at ~2.5A. Also DBCustom put a highly driven XHP35 HI in a Maxtoch 2x shooter and got close to the same throw as the dedomed XML U4 (driven at 4.5A) that it came with.

The XHP35 can throw farther than current bins of XPL HI. Here user Mitko put an XHP35 HI driven at only 1.5A in a convoy L2 and got 228Kcd, which is roughly what an XPL HI V2 will give.

In this beginning stages of the Q8 development, someone (I believe it was The Miller) mentioned that the design could be scaled up or down to accommodate larger or smaller cells.

Could this light become the scaled up version using 26650s?

It is unlikely to happen for several reasons. Although a quad reflector for this light is something I would like to see happen.

Converting this light to 26650’s would be a completely new light, so thus there would be no reason to stick with the current design at all if doing that. Better to start fresh and work from scratch for that goal.

For 26650’s I think the box shape proposed by Djozz would be ideal and this is a good option for a future light.

In this case having 8x 18650’s will give us more runtime, better usability and more compatibility then 4s 26650. Not to mention it would cost less then the 26650’s.

Those numbers all add up to what I have also learned in my research. It is also why I want to use the xhp35 and why I think all the other major throwers out there do as well.

Although I will say that an XHP70 @ ~6000 lumens dedomed would be interesting in a reflector this size.

I want to throw money at someone for this light now! The sheer size makes me dribble a bit :smiley:

Thats the idea, a big light to end all big lights. This is why the short tube doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Will that ~60mm worth of length savings really be worth unbalancing it so much?

I am betting that running the long tube with 1 cell carrier full in the back and the other empty would feel lighter then a short tube that is horribly unbalanced.

That only works with actual cell carriers, not built-in SRK style.

So, if one cell carrier is giving 12v, stacking two carriers would be 24v. I know you are very early in the process, but has any thought been given to this? Would switching require modding a battery carrier? Or are you talking about a single 8-cell 4S2P carrier?

If you read over the last page or 2 that was discussed a fair amount :wink:

We are using real cell carriers with this light for sure.

I am also thinking that setting them up to stack in parallel is the best idea, thus allowing them to run as many stacked as they want without effecting final voltage.

You expect me to read? RIDICULOUS

So that would involve making the carriers without polarity, no body contact. Sounds good.

You get 1.56x if you take 2.5^2 and divide it by 2^2, but the die that is 2mmx2mm is the XM-L2.
IIRC the XP-L (HI) is smaller than that, between the XP-G2 and XM-L2.
Either way, it’s about 2x size and 2x lumens so nobody should be disappointed by the throw.

XHP70 is four 2x2mm dies, total side length 4.2mm (measured it myself). Definitely not good for throw. with the huge die area and only 6k lumens.
If it was 8 or 10k then it would definitely match a XHP35 HI in terms of lumens/mm^2 which is what matters for throw :slight_smile:

LOL, I know the feeling. Yes, they would have 2 contact plates on each end, positive and ground. The ground could connect to the body come to think of it but it would be better to connect directly.

The XP-L and XM-L2 Use the same die.

Also if you note my earlier post I said exactly that:

I said that an XHP70 would be interesting, not that it would be better.

I’m going to find out what a de-domed XHP-35 HD E4 (top-bin) will do? Going to re-flow it on my TN42 board, once I work the nerve up, I meant when/if I get the time to do it this weekend? :smiley: Have a few other cool white HD’s de-deomed also. I have LD-2 M2’s set up for 2.5 to 3amps and a couple Acebeam K70 4S battery carrier’s that fit the TN42 perfectly, been dying to see what a Maxed out XHP35 can do in it!

Oh, I guess I was mistaken, sorry.

Also, I was just saying that my dedomed XHP70 isn’t as impressive as I expected it to be.

Dale has had the dedomed xhp35 up to 2900 lumens IIRC, or maybe that was with the dome on.