[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

Holy cow. That’s awesome!

I am not used to drivers that can double their output with just a resistor swap. I guess this driver is over built and extra beefy. Lol

It is a BLF driver, how could we do any less? lol

Del did a fine job on this driver, it is really working great.

Technically if you improved the thermals and/or only used it for short bursts it would handle even more then 5A but you would be pushing things pretty hard at that point.

I thought from the beginning it was to be NW not WW. When did that change?

NW is ~4000k to ~5500k, it is still NW, just a warmer version of it then planned.

We wanted 3D tint but they seem to be sold out across the globe along with anything else around 5000k (at least in the quantities we need). Lumintop can’t find them, Neal can’t find them and the Team searched and could not find them.

These 4000k was the next best option that Neal could find and they tested very good and have proven to be good performers. The warmer tint also means that in the real world it will throw further as I saw in my testing. With the CW emitter it could not light up the water towers good enough to see but this emitter did.

If you search back several pages you will see the testing and explanation about all of this.

Basically we have these as a good option and know exactly what we would get. Anything else would cause delays, possible increase in price and we would be playing the LED lottery. The new ones might be better but they have an equal chance of being worse.

The best tint we could find was 4500k from an unknown supplier with unknown quality. Personally 4500k is my favorite tint, I would LOVE to have them but a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush as it were. We know these work very good, we have no idea how those would work.

Plus as I said, in the real world these 4000k will throw further anyways due to less scattering and refraction.

Interestingly, I put the second sample XHP35 they sent into my 1405 after I finished testing it on the sphere and it has MUCH less tint shift on the projected die image then the 3x tint I had in it before, no idea why that would be but it looks so much better.

So , final LED will be D4 bin , 4000k ?

Thanks

Yes, that is the emitter that I have been testing in the V2 prototype for the last several pages.

Here is the test data and info I posted a few days about it: I present you with Giggles, the most hardcore BLF thrower in the World. - #64 by Texas_Ace

I guess that is settled then! This will be my warmest light to date.

My first light was a 6500K A6, which I liked, then a 5700K M43 which i found to be wayyyyy too yellow, so the rest of my lights were back to 6500K (a D4 and two C8s).

Hopefully the lack of scattering makes up for the yellowness. In any case, it would be easy to do an emitter swap if we don’t like the supplied colour. Whatever choice gets this light shipped faster! :slight_smile:

Yep, a little warmer than I thought, too. But at this point I don’t care as long as the thing gets shipped faster. If I don’t like it, I will swap to a XP70.2, since I think I really would like more light even If I sacrifice some throw. Heck I’m getting too old to carry this light and a set of binoculars to see where I’m pointing. :smiley:

Nice to see the latest proto picts! Thanks.

However, i’m scratching my head about the battery carrier.

Why did Lumintop design an asymmetrical carrier? It requires more parts, costs more and needs to be inserted the right way to work… It would have been much easier to have a symetrical design?

[quote=JasonWW]

Of course, it was just a suggestion. Why don’t start already with the right foot? Also, just by the survey, we know that the favorite tint in this forum is the neutral white which usually is around 5000K. People don’t like a light that colors what it lights by a dominant.

I suppose they could have used a button top on each end of the carrier but this would have doubled the resistance across the carrier. The button top spring already has the most resistance by far compared to the rest of the carrier.

The carrier needing to be inserted one way is fine, the only issue is the small chance of wearing through the sticker over time and if inserted backwards the carrier could short on the tailcap.

Pretty small chance really unless you really abuse your lights.

I’ll take a 4000K light today over a 5000K light next year. :slight_smile:

[quote=Giancarlo]

By the standards and many other sources, Neutral White is 4000K-5000K. 5000K is the coolest Neutral tint, while 4000K is the warmest Neutral tint.

So the 3X, 4X, and 5X tint LED's are all considered NW. 1X and 2X considered CW, and 6X and 7X considered WW.

Best ref from CREE, look at figure 12, the chart on page 12 confirming this: http://www.cree.com/led-components/media/documents/LED_color_mixing.pdf

More info here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/14230

Another useful ref here, but with some opinion thrown in: https://www.pflexpro.com/LED-tints-and-power-bins-s/1838.htm

My uneducated opinion; we are building a max thrower here. Understandably everyone wants their own tint but Lumintop isn’t going to make these “a la carte” for the current price point. 4000k serves a purpose.

I’m 100% on board with the current build and would like to see production started ASAP after seeing all of TA’s awesome pictures. :smiley:

Also, what is the size of the MCPCB? Can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Pretty sure I listed it in the giggles review thread. It was around 35mm IIRC.

It also looks like the LED has gotten approval from lumintop as well so we are settled on the 4000k LED now. More and more parts are getting approval as well.

Thanks for the info and the awesome pictures TA! I can’t wait to get giggles in my hands! :sunglasses:

I think it has to do with the unique design of being able to connect the 2 battery carriers electrically in parallel even though they physically stack up in series.

I requested PM on 10/1 message #7116, wasn’t sure if they were 1.5 months behind on sending out the PM’s? Any idea?

Thank you, didn’t want to miss out on this one.

(I did send a PM to The Miller but I’m sure he’s slammed and may not see it. I’m willing to wait until the cows come home patiently though.)

The PM’s were only sent to the first 555 to sign up so far. The rest will get a PM when the lights go on sale.

Thanks a bunch, I couldn’t find that information. If they needed the money I definitely wanted to get it to them.

Now I will wait until the cows come home patiently!