[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

[quote=JasonWW]

Of course, it was just a suggestion. Why don’t start already with the right foot? Also, just by the survey, we know that the favorite tint in this forum is the neutral white which usually is around 5000K. People don’t like a light that colors what it lights by a dominant.

I suppose they could have used a button top on each end of the carrier but this would have doubled the resistance across the carrier. The button top spring already has the most resistance by far compared to the rest of the carrier.

The carrier needing to be inserted one way is fine, the only issue is the small chance of wearing through the sticker over time and if inserted backwards the carrier could short on the tailcap.

Pretty small chance really unless you really abuse your lights.

I’ll take a 4000K light today over a 5000K light next year. :slight_smile:

[quote=Giancarlo]

By the standards and many other sources, Neutral White is 4000K-5000K. 5000K is the coolest Neutral tint, while 4000K is the warmest Neutral tint.

So the 3X, 4X, and 5X tint LED's are all considered NW. 1X and 2X considered CW, and 6X and 7X considered WW.

Best ref from CREE, look at figure 12, the chart on page 12 confirming this: http://www.cree.com/led-components/media/documents/LED_color_mixing.pdf

More info here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/14230

Another useful ref here, but with some opinion thrown in: https://www.pflexpro.com/LED-tints-and-power-bins-s/1838.htm

My uneducated opinion; we are building a max thrower here. Understandably everyone wants their own tint but Lumintop isn’t going to make these “a la carte” for the current price point. 4000k serves a purpose.

I’m 100% on board with the current build and would like to see production started ASAP after seeing all of TA’s awesome pictures. :smiley:

Also, what is the size of the MCPCB? Can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Pretty sure I listed it in the giggles review thread. It was around 35mm IIRC.

It also looks like the LED has gotten approval from lumintop as well so we are settled on the 4000k LED now. More and more parts are getting approval as well.

Thanks for the info and the awesome pictures TA! I can’t wait to get giggles in my hands! :sunglasses:

I think it has to do with the unique design of being able to connect the 2 battery carriers electrically in parallel even though they physically stack up in series.

I requested PM on 10/1 message #7116, wasn’t sure if they were 1.5 months behind on sending out the PM’s? Any idea?

Thank you, didn’t want to miss out on this one.

(I did send a PM to The Miller but I’m sure he’s slammed and may not see it. I’m willing to wait until the cows come home patiently though.)

The PM’s were only sent to the first 555 to sign up so far. The rest will get a PM when the lights go on sale.

Thanks a bunch, I couldn’t find that information. If they needed the money I definitely wanted to get it to them.

Now I will wait until the cows come home patiently!

I would like to be in for one please

Kasi :-)

With a DSLR you can always set manual white balance. You can also set a reference white balance based on a shot you take first.

As far as camera setting go for beamshots, I like to use the same setting all the time regardless of camera for consistency, so I have been using ISO1600 at 1/2 second exposure and f/5.6 exposure. I use Manual, with manual focus so that my Canon G1X and full frame Canon DSLR bodies will be similar in results. With massive output lights, sometimes adjustments have to be made to better match what the eyes see. :wink:

Keep in mind that in Auto settings the camera tries to make all shots match an 18% grey metering. :wink:

One of the reasons I can think of has to do with the connection to each carrier and the driver.
If one of the terminals are a little bit off you will loose connection. That can happen when you accidentally drop a carrier so the aluminium is not flat anymore.
Also to make the best connection you will want a positive force to press the contact surfaces together (the reason we have springs in flashlights).

And dont forget about the possibility to short the carrier when you set it down on something that conducts electricity.
I’m not saying it cant happen with the current design of the carriers but it reduces the risk significantly.

We do :slight_smile:
See here .

Very good test and very impressive! Dang, 145W through that tiny thermal pad, that is amazing!

So looks like I was about right, a bit over 6k lumens at 10A.

Swap in an FET driver and let it fly to 20A+ if you really want to go crazy lol. Who knows, I might do that someday, just to see how fast it overheats.

The xhp50.2 also looks interesting based on that test. Could give a nice combo of throw and lumens.

Is the new v2 prototype unit come with direct charging ? Or have to remove the batt for external charging. Tq

Is the new v2 prototype unit come with direct charging ? Or have to remove the batt for external charging. Tq

External charging, I never trust internal charging, I always prefer to charge the cells externally where I can control how they charge.

Although the main reason it doesn’t have internal charging is that to charge 8 cells internally could take 28 hours.

You have to remove batteries from flashlight for charging, but good thing is that it can work with 4 batteries as well as with 8 but runtime will be shortened …