[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

Let’s not let the box design sketch fool us, as this was an alternative design for GT. The BLF Giga Flooder may not have to be more expensive than the GT, at least for other reasons than possibly having several expensive LEDs. After all, it would not need large or expensive special reflectors but could manage with several smaller standard TIR optics. This also means the box-like design could be way flatter than apparent in the sketch. This would also make all the machining to create huge cavities in a solid block unnecessary.

Obviously, this is a gigantic flashlight.

But I want to recongnize the gigantic effort it takes to pull this off.

My hat is off to Miller and team!

Keisari, please feel free to design it and have it priced out by a manufacturer… we would like to see what you come up with. :wink:

Yeah, it is a topic for another thread but I would be very surprised if it could be built for even $150 final cost considering it would need an expensive driver and I figure it would need at least 8-12 XHP70 LED’s to be worth it, at a cost of $8-10 each.

That puts us at $100 in LED cost alone. Add in $20+ for the driver, another $30+ for the optics, then you have the actual host itself, mcpcb and all the other parts and $200 as a starting figure for such a light to be built to BLF specs sounds very reasonable to me.

Doable but also something for a bit further down the road.

My mind started doing something. I think I made a flooder with a big heatsink and some triple carlco optics and triple noctigons :smiley:
Big flat heatsink. Placed a lot of noctigon on it with fujik. Use maybe 4x26650 at the bottom of the heatsink. And an 5mm polycarbonate holding down the optics with a lot of screws. And a handle on top. The led driver maybe can some TA driver and put more clicky switch to the top or E-switches and one driver will be powering 1 or two triples. :smiley:

incidentally i was thinking of a multiple XHP70.2, collimating lens and main lens set up. Weird but if one could use it as a flooder or thrower when so desired that’d make it very versatile. Coupled with 8 to 12 18650’s and a devil of a heatsinking design that’d make more sense to me than a soda can that wouldn’t sustain such output for many minutes. A chore to lug around no doubt, but just imagine the power in your hand/s!

I confirm that as best I can using a ruler and eye :wink:
At the thread the wall is 3mm thick with a 1mm deep thread, there is .33mm clearance between batteries and the wall (all round).

The carrier will have to be modified as 18650’s are a snug fit, probably would be better to make new ones.

A 0.25mm wall might be acceptable (on your own head be it) if done the same as the SRK’s, only have the wall 0.25mm where necessary.
Pic of what I mean using a genuine Sky Ray Kung

But it would take very precise reaming to do this to a wall thickness of 0.25mm on four sides :laughing:

Hmmmm, no sides to a circle but you know what I mean :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Cheers David

This must have been asked before but there are so many posts so I’m just gonna ask :smiley:

What are the recommended 18650’s for the BLF GT??

almost any 18650 cell(except ultra low quality like ultrafire or ….fire 5000/6000/8000 mah 18650 battery)
the most ideal battery i think is ncr18650ga, which has high capacity(which mean very long run time)

It only draws 2.5A on turbo, that is only 1.25A per series (4s2p) any decent 18650s will do that, if you cannot balance charge 4 cells in series make sure that they are protected with a decent protection board.

Cheers David

I am away for a few days from Monday morning and one of the places I am going is here,

What are those numbers doing there?
Google maps may explain,

The first image is one I took last year and I thought as I am going to be in the neighborhood I would go back there at night and try for some beam shots at some BIG targets :smiley:
Don’t get your hopes up too much though, the forecast is for drizzly rain and high humidity with 20~30km winds, the better half will be with me so I can try for some side on beam shots at least :wink:

/me thinking out loud, a 12mm lens on a crop sensor should make for an interesting “bending” light beam :partying_face:

Cheers David

Edit:- ooops I forgot to say that I will be taking a gt proto for the beam shots :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

So, does Lumintop have some sort of timetable for when they want to do what? What are the next steps and when do they plan on doing them?

This light oh will be my new beach light. I can signal the military ships off coast .lol

Probably I missed a beamshot comparison with TH42 or some measured distance from prototypes.
Can you point me a shot of 1500 m or longer distance?
To see exactly what I’m paying for… :slight_smile:

For those of you asking about Cells——-Illumination.com is running a very good sale on various cells this weekend—VTC5 VTC6
30Q 35E LG HG2 most of which are below $5—-Free Shipping after $50 Great deals on several chargers also

You pretty much won’t see anything at 1.5km, maybe a bit of glow if you point it at a white surface.

It’s only slightly above 1Mcd.

What is balance charging? Would a liitokala 500 do it?

There are alternatives to Google, such as Zoho, which can be accessed behind the great firewall.

No :frowning:
Balance charging is when you charge all cells together in series, this requires each cell to be monitored individually while being charged and as far as I know it takes at least a hobby charger (google “hobby charger) to do it.

Easiest/safest way is to buy some decent cells with decent protection circuits and then you can charge them with that charger, have a look at Battery test-review small individual tests for reviews on a lot of batteries :smiley:

Cheers David

Payment sent:

You’ve sent $14.96