[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

Please remove the email address.

Cheers David

Oh man, Oh man. why did you have to show me that place?

The place I traveled with my girlfriend I met in Australia, (and later became my wife). The 12 apostles. That was back in 2004, April or May. Oh boy Oh boy. What a trip was that!

Very discouraging answer, Enderman. :wink:
I thought I would see more and more with any better thrower. Why else are they…?

Yes, the liitokala 500 will work perfectly for charging the cells. It charges them individually so thus it “balance charges” them. Balance charging is only needed if the cells are exclusively charged in series, which we are not doing since you pull the cells out to charge them individually.

So you are good to go, you will just have the charge them 4 cells at a time obviously but that is not a problem.

you need the lemax super 70 hid
4 mill lux, and 2.4 mile range
will set you back over 2 grand, weighs like 9 pounds,
maybe one day leds will catch up

heres 1800 meters…most folks that see a light rated at this distance , think they can do this, but they wont…this thing will LIGHT UP, not just put light. on a subject at a mile.

incredible stuff for sure :+1:

Great Ocean Road!

You might struggle with beam shots here due to the spray from the ocean.
Might get a really good lightsabre photo though!

Well of course one ought to see more at 1,5km with a GT that reaches further then a TN42.
It is indeed a bit of a shame none of the prototypes is pit next to a TN42 for a nice comparison. But who knows what VOB has laying around :slight_smile:

$2k!? I don’t have a use for the GT at only $111. :slight_smile:

Sure does light things up though!

I know how bright my 1.3 and 4.6Mcd lights are at 1km and 2km.
You have to also consider the fact that the light needs to travel all the way to the target, then bounce back another 1.5km.
Dust and humidity in the atmosphere also reduce intensity at a faster rate than 1/r^2.

At 1.5km the GT’s spot will almost not be visible at all on trees since they are dark, but maybe a little on a white surface like a building.
Also, if a full moon is out you will probably have trouble seeing the spot even at 1km.

At 2km it will not be visible at all unless it is new moon and you are in an area with very high visibility, such as far away from a city and in a place with low humidity.

I know that theoretical ANSI throw numbers are exciting, but you should be prepared for less IRL, or you will be severely disappointed.
Even if it had twice the lux of the TN42 (which it won’t) it would still only throw 1.4x farther.

what light do you have at 4.6 mcd?

yes, but with the size and quality of the host, reflector, in the future with better and better leds, etc , this light might have the potential to hit 2 mill lux ?

I am 99.99% sure that anyone will be able to hit 2Mcd with this host by putting a hard driven XP-G2 or Black Flat in it.

I’m just saying to not expect massive amounts of throw more than a TN42 even though it is a big light with over 1Mcd.
It takes exponentially more candela to increase the usable throw.
IMO taking the distance to 1 lux rather than 0.25 lux (the ANSI standard) gives a much more realistic use distance.

yep, the lemax in that pic is putting a little over 1 lux on that building at 1800 meters
but it also is putting out 7500 lumens too, what a beast

yes, but it is what it is, I will be in the area so why not, the worst that can happen is we snuggle in to keep each other warm :smiley:
The cliffs and therefore the 12 Apostles are a light coloured sandstone and did I mention BIG, so that it just might light up some of them if not then I will use the cliffs, note where I can see the farthest, then use Google maps to get the distance :sunglasses:

Anyway I will be in the area for four nights, just a pity that the forecast is for rain on three of them, this is where I hope the four day forecast is wrong :laughing:

Cheers David

they are the best . Three thumbs up .

I am curious, where can I see some testing / results for the flat black? I remember seeing some speculations but never remember seeing the results.

Also anyone have a link to a flat black with reasonable tint ~4000-5000k?

The Black Flat is cool white only.
Here is some testing:

I think some people on TLF also tested it but idk where that topic is.

Here:

and here:

With the Osram Black flat you can expect up to 2.5Mcd if everything is perfect (see this calculation for details). This is probably a bit too optimistic though. The theoretical best values for the XHP-35HI have not been reached until this point (around 10% less).

The beam becomes very, very tight though and you only get around 700 otf Lumens.

Thanks for the links, can’t understand the text but the graphs are pretty easy to understand.

Thanks, Driver :slight_smile:

If you use google chrome just click the translate button at the top right of the URL bar.

I use firefox most of the time, I don’t like that chrome tracks everything you do. Chromium is an option but still gives me the creeps knowing there is closed code buried in there that ties directly to Google.

Plus I always seem to have issues getting the plug-ins I want with Chrome.

I could use google translate but I was too lazy and was mostly looking for a basic rundown on results anyways. Lack of warmer tints pretty much means I won’t be using it anyways. 6500k sounds dreadful. lol