Pepsi - Frito-Lay finally gets the message

Love this as I have been boycotting their asses other than one recent slip on a Chili Frito bag.
But the point is a lot of other customers have also said Eff-You to your price gouging, sales quarter after quarter to see how much we would tolerate.
They finally found out.
Behold the coming to Jesus moment in this;

Makes your heart warm :slight_smile:

3 Thanks

Some of the worldwide inflation is due to the pandemic and a war in Europe, but a good portion of it is companies just raising prices due to greed.
The proof is that many companies in recent years have had record profits, so to hear that some companies are losing money over price gouging is a great story. :money_with_wings:

4 Thanks

What Iā€™ve found disconcerting is that the store brand chips rose to the same price as the name brands. Winco and Walmart were once the place to go for cheap chips. Not much difference between them and the big boys anymore.

1 Thank

ā€œPrice consciousā€ indeed. I said long ago that I liveā€™nā€™die by the sales flyer. When I see a good price, I stock up. Nonperishables like TP, detergent, etc., Iā€™ll load up as much as I can. Semi-perishables like canned goods, similarly, but have to rotate 'em out. Butter, mozz, etc., get loaded into the freezer.

Just recently got 18pax of eggs for 3bux (and a name-brand like Best Egg), so 2 of 'em are in the fridge in the coldest part. Still had/have like 4doz in there. Otherwise, you can pay 5-6bux/doz! Fried, scrambled, boiled, salad, go crazyā€¦

The difference between regular prices and sales prices is ridiculous. So when they do ā€œloss-leadersā€ to get people into the stores, Iā€™ll take 'em up on it, but forgo the regular price stuff, as I likely got my own stockpile already.

Havenā€™t even had sody-pop for about a year if not more, until recently, when there was a sale 4/6 on 2L bottles. So thatā€™s 1.50/bottle, vs 2.50-3.00(!!) regular price.

And itā€™s not just prices going up, but shrinkflation, too. At least a 2L bottle is a 2L bottle, but when a bag oā€™ chips used to be 16oz and now is 9.35oz instead, yeah, no. Keep it.

1 Thank

That is exactly why I blame Frito-Lay for this. Once they did it all the other brands said ā€œWhat the hell, weā€™re going to get a piece of the action tooā€ And so it began.
I live in like the epicenter of Salted snacks and they all reacted the same, some slower than others.
There is one Chip maker left here that gives the most ounce per dollar and it is UTZ.
And they make a decent product, not all grease and not all broken chips and damn good Pretzels,
They now have a Mikeā€™s Hot Honey barbque chip that is soo killer. not all stores stock it but it is worth the safari search to get. :slight_smile:

If you really think about it, Once the foreign import tariffs kicked in and the el-cheapo USPS deals were gone. that is when current inflation run up began.
It took a little delay for all the present time backstock of China warehouseā€™s to run out of stock before having to restock at higher price but after that and Since then, Game on.
Pandemic blame was a cover for balls out gouge and gouge they did.

2 Thanks

Iā€™ll be watching for Mikes Hot Honey barbecue chips. Thanks for the heads-up.

1 Thank

Thankfully, itā€™s getting harder and harder to blame the plandemic on every single woe thatā€™s out there.

Like movies, especially the recent spate of flopbusters. ā€œOh, itā€™s the plagueā€¦ people just arenā€™t going out to see movies anymore, thatā€™s why our billion-dollar-budget flick is in the toilet!ā€

Oh really? They ever heard of Barbenheimer, Mario, Sound Of Freedom, Gojira-1, Maverick, etc.? Studios were putting out shiite, and THATā€™S why people werenā€™t paying money to go see those dogshiite films. Make a GOOD movie, and people will go see it. All those I named were great counterexamples to their lame excuse. Even or especially those like SOF and G-1 which had miniscule budgets but turned in huge returns and profits.

So when these companies hike prices to the moon and people just stop buying the product, that ainā€™t the plague talking, but people getting pushed and actually pushing back for a change.

Like, the plandemic has been over for years, so how long will they keep on trying to milk that excuse for people indeed voting with their wallets, and just walking away?

2 Thanks

Soā€¦youā€™re saying weā€™re a bunch of stupid S-O-B S. Yeah, ā€¦Yeah I can see that.

There is a war going on between two of the largest grain producing countries in the world. Grain could be harvested, but it could not be transported. So prices went up, and also the prices of the food made from grain. At the moment the world market price of grain is dropping, but the price of food from grain isnā€™t. In NL there are (silent) battles going on between food producing giants and supermarkets. The latter get the blame for prices going up and not going down, but it is really the big consortia like Unilever, NestlĆ©, Kraft Heinz, etc. with all their A-brands who are to blame. Stocks and profits are going through the roof. And the customer is held hostage, with high prices or empty shelves and signs reading: this product is temporary unavailable.

Agreed, itā€™s rare that I go to the cinema these days simply because for the last few years thereā€™s only been a handful of films released that I actually wanted to watch. Iā€™m sick of prequels, remakes, reboots and yet another superhero sequel.

1 Thank

Iā€™m boycotting Lays because Iā€™m so tired of their quality vs other brands, and the way every gas station I go in with Lays ONLY has Lays.

2 Thanks

Meh, just stop eating chips. They are nothing but empty calories and bad seed oils. Munch on an apple if you feel the urge to eat something.

Cinemas? Whatā€™s that? I have set up a home theatre a couple of years ago and have never been to cinemas since then.

2 Thanks

The last film I saw in a theater was the original Avatarā€¦ In other words a long time ago. I choked way back then when a couple of tickets, popcorn and drinks cost north of $50ā€¦ and yeah nothing to draw me in to pay thatā€¦

2 Thanks

Yeah, I saw a funny quote on the current state of economics in the world, something like: How can an average consumer afford all those disposable things while fulfilling basic living needs? The answer is: they donā€™t. They either cut back all disposable activities to live a life, or they splurge in the activities which brings them dopamine hits but ignore living, or they keep piling on debt and dig themselves into a deeper and deeper hole which they couldnā€™t possibly get out. Such a sad state of life really.

1 Thank

These brands go up in price at the same time because Pepsi Co owns Cheetos, Duritos, Funyuns, Fritos, Lays, Tostitos, Sabritas and more. They have dominance in junk food market. Thereā€™s no doubt other conglomerates are co-conspirators in the prices/shrinkflation.

1 Thank

Donā€™t forget Starbucks and Gatorade, Lipton Tea as well and many, many others.

Here is the big list;

1 Thank

I ā€˜m not sure itā€™s actually price gouging since they donā€™t have a monopoly and you can always just not buy their product .
Iā€™ve always thought that the correct price of any item is the price that makes the company the most money . That means the customers are actually setting the price. Then the manufacture had to decide if they want to be in that market for that amount of profit .
I donā€™t think itā€™s a matter of greed itā€™s more a matter of survival . The years you make a bunch of money covers all the years of famine ā€¦ when suddenly youā€™re not sitting at the cool kids table anymore.

Funny, but some investor (forgot who) said something to the effect that companies like Cokola, McDā€™s, etc., are ā€œsafe betsā€ for investing in, because even in financial down-times, people will still eat at fastfood joints and buy sodypop, chips, ice cream, and other crap to eat, that theyā€™re ā€œcomfort foodsā€ of a sort.

Wellp, I think thatā€™s been revised as far as fastfood joints, but people still seem to be buying crap as comfort-food. At least for now.

If theyā€™d keep apples with apples they can probably predict that peak better, but with shrinkflation, the delay between people getting hit and finally catching on, can delay that reaction.

I wish thereā€™d be fixed standards of container sizes. Just like 2L bottles of sodypop that hasnā€™t really changed in decades, there should be mandated 16oz cans of coffee, 16oz bags of chips, etc. Trying to compare yesterdayā€™s12oz bag of chips with todayā€™s 10.5oz bag is crazy. Bad enough itā€™s done on the sneak, but you canā€™t compare without seeing the ā€œper ozā€ figure in orange on the stickers. Add in a sale, and forget it. You gotta walk around with a calculator.

So that rule/guideline/etc. about setting prices to maximise profit can get a bit nebulous, based on how people react and when.

1 Thank

Maybe so, but it seems a bit disingenuous to keep the physical size of a package the same while simply reducing the actual contentā€¦ As if the hope is that people will just not notice.

Exactly, like Stella Dā€™Oro cookies, those butter-cookies with the little splats of chocolate in the middle (Fudgetown? FudgyTheWhale? something fudgy), and the zweibachs. The tray used to be filled with the cookies and then stuffed into the wrapping. Now, the cookies are 2/3 the size and have huge air-gaps between, and the zweibachs are about an inch shorter than the tray is wide, AND the height of the cookies donā€™t even touch the top of the tray and you can visually see the way the wrapping sinks in.

Theyā€™re about as bad as Russell Stover candies. You get a shoebox but open it and thereā€™s 95% air and only 5% candy interspersed onto the tray.

Bags oā€™ chips are similarly mostly air. Oh, but thatā€™s as a cushion to keep the chips from getting broken, right? Iā€™d rather have a full bag of potato-sand than open an empty bag of air.

Chip Ahoy ā€œfamily sizeā€ now is what regular size was, and regular size is now ā€œdieting would be good for youā€ size.

Screw them all. Iā€™ll save my bux and eat healthier to boot.