Post your LD-2 modded flashlights

Bump, thought there would be more info here given the group buy that was done. Let’s see what you did with yours.

:slight_smile:

Yup. Needs cooling fins. Something like this that I mentioned here long ago:

Hi,

This may sound like a kind of stupid question, but can someone post a CLEAR pic showing where the + and - emitter leads go to on the LD-2 driver?

Thanks,
Jim

You’re right, it does. Led- is connected to the big drain tab of the FET so it goes to the hole closest. Led+ connects to the spring pad on the bottom and is isolated on the top. Very clear pictures in the info thread op.

Thanks! That “info” thread was not working for awhile.

Jim

I built a Solarforce M9 last night with a Xhp70.
Tail readings are

Ncr18650B high 5.91
Efest IMR 30A high 7.80
Sony VTC4 7.91

Stock dmm leads and stock springs

4500 lumens in or around going by Djozz tests.

Breathed new life into my SpiderFire P7 light (C2 host).

—-LD-2 driver with moonlight at 6A
—-High gauge silicon wire to LEDs
—–3x Cree XP-L V6 2C (not de-domed) on 32mm Noctigon board
3x 15.8mm X 8.8mm OP reflectors (http://www.kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S023420) Some dremeling was required (seen in 3rd photo)
—-AR coated lens
—-Omten switch
—-Spring bypass at driver and switch with high-gauge wire

The heatsink is made up of several stacked copper discs, and the 32mm Noctigon board all very tightly pressed together with Arctic Alumina thermal paste, making lots of direct contact with the body of the light. Should hold up great. From what I can tell, heat is transferring just fine when using on high.

And of course, some photos!

Thanks for looking :smiley:

Nice mod. Its good to see new life brought back into the old dog. With the tiny reflectors is the beam pattern floody?

Thanks! It’s hard to tell inside my apartment exactly how floody it is. I’ll take some pictures out back along the nearby bike trail tonight.

Update: Here’s some beamshots!

Moonlight:

Low:

Medium:

High:

Vs EagleEye X6 with de-domed XM-L at 2.8A (eventually will modify driver lol)

I would have posted a moded blf X6 but tonight while measuring tailcap current, there was a slip (-ve lead on battery may have slipped and touched the +ve lead on body) and a little spark, and the light died. Amusingly, it went in stages. First, moonlight alone worked. After trying a couple minutes hoping the modes would come back, I took off the light. 5 mins later when I put it back on, nothing. Opened it up, battery was warm. Now it’s shorting. lol. Wouldn’t get a chance to check out the circuit till tomorrow evening. Nothing smelt burnt though. ;(

Just finished two BLF EE X6’s with spring mods, stock emitters. Had to trim the button on one tail cap cover to reduce switch sensitivity. Both measured ~ 5. 5A with new LG HE4 cells. Very thick, short wires but no guarantees on my set up. Medium is comparable to high on the stock BLF edition. Also modded is a 502 B that had some body work done to accommodate 2 x 18650 cells for an XHP 50. Baked ano, copper fins and pill that screws to reflector and fins, solder wick switch spring. Thanks for the tip on the NTC short. I’ll post current draw later this week.

that light looks fantastic!

Wow, that looks great i love the wooden tube grip part of it :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, I like how it’s turned out too, especially how the figure in the cherry matches the baked ano.

Might not be the driver but the led or protected cell over current trip. Look for black spots at the bond wires or try a different cell.

copper fins and pill that screws to reflector and fins

I sure want to know more about how you did that.

Just jumping in here.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/34440#node-40540

Thanks Steve, P60 drop ins use 20mm x 1 mm thread and I found at tap at a local salvage yard and ordered a matching die. That thread details how the parts were made and threaded to allow that screw together connection. Should have much better thermal transfer than the typical floating drop in and the added mass and surface area won’t hurt either. No lathes involved.

Hi,

a custom build body made by fritz15 based on a Foursevens X10 was used to upgrade from a dedomed MT-G2 to a red SST90 with LD2 12A driver :bigsmile:

Quiet not fully stable at the moment, but i think worth sharing :wink:

Greetings

Kenjii