Post your MT-G2 driver results here.

Havent checked in for a while, but I have actually been running a C8 with the original plastic lens (I know was taking a risk…) at 5.84 A and 8.4 V. Yes it gets warm within 30 secs or so and hot after 1-2 mins, but it doesnt melt and neither does the lens! :wink: Ive done a few extended runs and the max I have run it for was around 4 mins…the IMRs were however warm… :beer:

Thanks for the update. What batteries and driver are you using?

Resistor/Zener AMC driver mod and 2 x AW IMR 18350’s

Edit: Here’s the link Post your MT-G2 driver results here.

I actually rebuilt the poppas, because it wasnt an ideal host for the diode. :wink:

Thanks. Added to the OP.

budgetlightforum.com/node/33482 Mattaus designed driver for "D" Maglites, based on the 105C style linear driver with zener mod. 7.5 amps from my analog ammeter.

Thanks OL. The link to your build is broken. Correct link here. Added to the OP.

Is there a list of components that you used on the board?

I have broken the OP. I'm in the throws of fixing it.

http://www.digikey.com/short/1prw4

&

http://www.digikey.com/short/1prw4

I posted this in ImA4Wheelr’s HX1175B thread , and thought I should be added to MRsDNF’s MT-G2 driver thread.

Some odd test results of HX1175B and MT-G2

I tested three different HX1175B with MT-G2. Here are my results.

With 2 x 18650

Driver A - 3.5A

Driver B - 4.2A

Driver C - 4.8A

With 3 x 18650

Driver A - 7A

Driver B - 13A

Driver C - 6.8A

These are my results. I can’t explain them, especially the 13A. All the modes were functioning, and I could feel it heating up fast. It kind of scared me.

Thanks OF.

The driver from Dipper D19 bought from banggood.com. It is marked as “RNX-2.8A”. Did a tail cap reading and it got to 2.6A.

I am not sure if it can be resistor modded because I stacked a R100 on top of an R082 and tail cap readings boosted to 2.9A. This is using a pair of Keep power 4500mAh cells.

Thanks Rod911. Added to the OP. What light did you put the driver in if its not in the Dipper?

For fun, when I got my second Dipper D19, I thought to try the default driver with the MT-G2 rather than still wait for the undelivered LD-40 from intl-outdoor.com. To my surprise, the default driver worked. To my further surprise, the driver is one of those that have two sets of modes - first set is your usual low, medium and high modes (in that order), and your second set of modes is the same as before but with SOS and strobe. This driver whines a bit at medium. The PWM on it is pretty high, or maybe none at all (not sure), but I certainly cannot see it in low or medium modes, unlike the default driver in a Yezl Y3.

If I have to say again, the Dipper D19 (Convoy L2 clone) is awesome with an MT-G2. My theory of it being a good balance of throw and flood was proven correct after the emitter swap. I certainly see myself using this light more often than any of my >3000 lumens light.

After some testing last night, and the wee hours of this morning, I do believe the resistor mod worked. It is brighter than my Vinh modded Zebralight S6330vn, but not as the SP03 I got from 18sixfifty that he modded. In the lumens space, I think it’s outputting easily in the 3500 OTF mark with an R100 resistor stacked on top of the existing R0802.

I do have three LD-40 on their way to me, but I don’t think I’ll be using them because I have a spare RNX-2.8A driver and someone mentioned in the LD-40 thread, the PWM was noticeable in low and medium modes.

Here are the pics of the stock driver in a Dipper D19 bought from banggood.com

It looks meaty enough. I did a run-time test with a pair of KK 4000mAh cells the other night on both high and medium modes. Note that, the driver was modded with a stacked R100 resistor on top of the R0802, LED used was an MT-G2 and the host was a Dipper D19. The light still works today. :slight_smile:

I will be trying to mod this driver further to around 7.5A (two R100 resistors stacked on top of the R0802) when I get another D19 from banggood. I’ll report back if the driver is up to the task at that level.

Thanks Rod. Its looking real good so far. Fingers crossed.

Cool looking driver! The good thing about the MT-G2 is that it seems to be able to handle an insane amount of voltage ripple compared to an XM-L2...so there is quite a bit of leeway when you are using a buck driver.

I got my third Dipper D19 from banggood.com and proceeded to mod it into an MT-G2 light. I continued to use the stock driver, RNX-2.8A, but modded to a theoretical 7.5A by stacking two R100 chips on top of the R082. I am not sure if I have succeeded or not, but I have found these preliminary observations:

- tailcap readings with Keeppower 4500mAh cells are 2.6A on high

- the head heats up MUCH quicker than my previous RNX-2.8A which was supposed to drive the MT-G2 at 5A

• on high, the driver is only able to sustain that setting for around 30 seconds before it either shuts off or drops down to low. This is telling me it has some sort of temperature control feature that protects itself when it overheats. This does not happen to my 5A modded RNX-2.8A

Is it producing more light? I think so. But I have a diffuser in front of the lens, so I’m not really sure.

Also, will it the driver continue to be able to keep working longer term after it has been modded? Again, I am not sure, but the three times I tried to do run-times on high continuously, twice it went down to low and the third time, it shut off. The last time when it shut off, I thought I killed it, but after less than a minute of the whole head cooling down, the driver was working again.

I really do like this driver. Shame I cannot seem to find it on sale separately any where. The positive for me though is that the driver comes with my favourites MT-G2 mod host. :smiley:

edit: it looks like I’ve killed it. All good though. I do have a spare, but it does give me a chance to give a crack at the LD-40 I got from intl-outdoor!
edit 2: the LD-40 doesn’t fit properly in my 17mm to 20mm brass ring adaptor. I’ve tried filing it, but it’s starting to hit the ground at the edge of the driver. Instead, I’ll be canabalising the dead RNX-2.8A and getting its R082 and using that to stack it on top of the replacement RNX-2.8A. It’ll be a more conservative setup compared to before.

Thanks Rod. If that driver could speak I'd say it would be squealing from the torture.

I’m experimenting with the XHP70 and I built up an old Skyline I yesterday to use one. I used a MAXToch copper MT-G2 star and whittled on the reflector some. A pair of Efest Purple IMR18350’s was used. After I got done with it and took measurements, I didn’t really care for the beam profile from this ultra deep lens (~60mm deep x ~37mm dia.) So I stuck an MT-G2 in it.

Here’s the interesting part… Same light, reflector, lens, batteries, driver, even same star… The MT-G2 pulled 5.79A for 1966 lumens, the XHP70 pulled 6.68A for 3045 lumens. New kid beat up on the big ol emitter!

Driver is an old mattaus blf17dd fet, 2nd version with the partial ground rims on the battery contact side, Zener modded and using the Vishay 70N02 MOSFET.

The MT-G2 beam looks much nicer in this old light. Tightest hot spot I’ve gotten from the big emitter, and that gorgeous tint we love so much. :slight_smile:

Next up, trying to get a DQG Tiny 6A boost driver to run the big boys in a Shadow JM26. No luck so far, don’t know what’s wrong, just got both today.

Did you by any chance eye ball the different beams outside at night. If so what are your thoughts. Thanks.