Preliminary XP-G 2 real word results

Match, did you reflow the xp-g2 into the same pcb in shiningbeam mini?

One of the most crucial points in a flashlight design is a good pcb. In fenix where there is a copper pcb, and in other flashlights in lower levels, swapping the xp-g with xp-g2 gives only 20% extra.
In shiningbeam, we see higher lumen increase in high, clearly showing, either a poor thermal path in pcb or a bad reflow process, in addition to a superior design from xp-g2.

I did reflow the xpg 2 onto another random 14mm pcb that I had lying around ( I've got a lot of spare parts....). I have noticed thicker than normal solder layers between led/pcb lead to poorer output. More so with my s-mini sample, the layer of thermal grease was too thick, and the pcb wasn't clamped securely enough to the pill.

Anyone try to de-dome an xpg-s2 yet?

Bob,

Good info on the C8 comparison. This mirrors my thoughts so far on this new emitter, which is one can get near the same functionality of an xml but with better runtime and lower heat. My intention with my s-mini was to make a new copper pill with the xp-g2 direct mounted and run it hard. Honestly, at 1 amp this emitter/torch combo already does 95% of what I need out of a light - and with fantastic regulation and runtime to boot!

-Match

i did it

I did some tests , they where pretty amazing. But i managed too to kill the led finally after a drop to the floor!!! :zipper_mouth_face:

Cool job ergotelis. Those lumen numbers Saabluster is reaching with the XP-G 2 are unreal. When I think about how we marvelled at the XR-E Q5 years ago then this is asthounding numbers. Love it. Thanks for sharing that.

Match. Do you have a comparison chart like the above comparing this to an XM-L? With my limited testing and knowledge, at .03 amps the XP-G2 puts out a lot more visible light than the XM-L. Thanks.

I've posted results of the xml here and the xpg2 here. I start all my testing at 200ma though.

Can you tell me what you’re you referring to?

I did some searches and didn’t find anything that he’s posted re. XP-G2 lumen tests.